SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Experiences with (Lowes) HGTV Sherwin Williams "Showcase" Paint

monicakm_gw
7 years ago

Finally FINALLY chose my plum (dusky lilac) paint for the master bedroom makeover. After 9 samples, two of which were custom colors, I finally settled on SW "Berry Cream". I realize the color will look different on everyone's computers.

I bought a quart of SW HGTV Showcase in flat (it's pretty close to BM eggshell). Goes on SO much better than those test quarts of Valspar Signature. That stuff was really streaky!

Is Showcase a good/excellent paint? Washable? I don't foresee much reason to need to wash it. I've never had to wash the BM eggshell that's on there now (8.5 years). Or is there a different SW paint that is better? I'm going to let the (new) painter pick up the paint and he uses SW. (Old) painter flaked out on me. Glad I called on Wed to confirm he was still coming today :/ Carpet should be here mid month. They don't make it till someone orders it.

How do people hold up a tiny paint chip on a fan deck and say "yep, that's the one!" :o

Comments (54)

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks. What about their SuperPaint?

• lascatx
    7 years ago

BM is no longer available near me so I recently switched to SW and used Cashmere on my FR wall. We were very happy with it. And you know that any test paint is not going to cover like the real thing, right? We used two to three coats of the test paint and got the color idea, but the real paint looks so much better.

monicakm_gw thanked lascatx
  • Related Discussions

Is there a Sherwin Williams paint comparable to Aura

Q

Comments (21)
    sis2, what happens when you try to wipe it off even gently? Are people using chemicals or rough rags like a washcloth? Yvette, did you use their Spa & Bath formula? No paint is going to be perfect, they're still trying I guess so they are just much better than in the past. I'm just very surprised after all the rave reviews for Aura matte I've read here on GW and BM makes great claims you can wash it no problem. Duration seems to get better reviews than Emerald but I haven't looked around that much. Muralo Ultra Ceramic is another one that is supposed to be very durable. It has tiny ceramic particles in it. Self leveling. Pittsburgh Paints Manor House is another the pros here say is a great paint.
    ...See More

sherwin williams showcase

Q

Comments (3)
    I am sorry I am not familiar with SW Showcase and I don't see it mentioned on their website. I am assuming from the rest of your post that your builder is wanting to use a construction grade flat paint. Many builders prefer that because it is cheap, hides imperfections in the drywall and touches up easily. I don't know where you are located or how expensive your home build is but 10K sounds like an awful lot for the upgrade. If the drywall is that imperfect now it will cause problems when you repaint down the road. Paint has a tendency to enhance imperfections, not hide them. Around here (Central Iowa) builders (and drywall installers) charge less for textured walls because it is faster and requires less skill than a smooth wall. We GC'd our home ourselves and paid a little (not much) extra to have smooth drywall. We then painted everything ourselves using either SW Cashmere Low Lustre or BM Regal in an eggshell finish. The walls look great and I only have one small area where I can see a raised section where the tape is. How is the rest of your build going? It sounds to me like your builder is trying to gouge you for the upgrade simply because he would rather not do it that way and if he has to he wants to be paid dearly for it. However, if you are building a million dollar home than maybe it is reasonable. If you think the drywall is good than let him paint with the cheap stuff and redo later at your leisure. However, if the paint is to hide a crappy drywall job than I wouldn't accept it because fixing it later will be a lot more time consuming and messy.
    ...See More

Sherwin Williams Cleanable Flat Paint

Q

Comments (4)
    " Unfortunately, stains are often difficult to remove from flat finishes. Unlike paints with higher sheen, a non-reflective, flat paint finish has a porous texture, which can trap dirt and result in burnishing when scrubbed or rubbed. However, there is one notable exception to this rule – Sherwin-Williams Duration Home®. Duration Home, which is available in matte, satin and semigloss sheens, is formulated with patented cross-linking technology that forms a smooth continuous paint film. This cross-linking technology not only locks in the colorants, it also provides superior resistance to staining, burnishing, and water-streaking or -spotting, and ultimately provides superior washability compared with competitive offerings. And it can be tinted to the deepest, most saturated colors your customers want. "
    ...See More

Paint shortage at Sherwin Williams

Q

Comments (55)
    HU-369354141 - Yes!!! We have mostly used BM in the past. SW here and there and never had a problem with it. For our new build, the painter wanted to use SW. We agreed since two of our local BM stores closed in the last few years. There is a store that is an hour away. The SW paint has been horrible. Thin, and like chalk...even the eggshell equivalent. Our dining room and study are dark colors. The SW paint did not do well in those rooms at all. Showed streaks, etc. We had the painter go to the BM store and get color matches in the AURA. Such a huge difference and what a lovely finish in those two rooms. So wish we could have used the BM paint everywhere.
    ...See More
  • monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm looking on the SW website but not found any definite information about the pigment % in SuperPaint. I found that 45% is considered.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Test paint? TEST PAINT?? What's test paint? :o So no, I don't know that <lol> The quart of HGTV Showcase from SW isn't the real thing? I've never heard of test paint.

Our BM store is also gone :( It normally wouldn't be a big deal for me to go to the nearest store, I'm just having some health issues at the moment.

Did you use a light, med or dark color over a light, med or dark color.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

Ah - if you bought a regular quart, disregard. They sell sample quarts aka test paint. It has the color of the regular paint but not the ffull coverage or finish. And typically only one formula -- SW has a semi-gloss IIRC. Not something you'd want on you walls and wouldn't cover enough for trim, so you will definitley paint over it -- but you can test the color. I think they normally sell for about half of what the paint does -- during a 40% of sale they were $4-5.

I did a medium light (Agreeable Gray at 150% over a slightly darker golden beige (mocha/camel sort) above the chair rail and dark shade (Peppercorn) over a dark navy below the chair rail.

I saw your carpet on another thread. That should look luscious with your paint.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I know, I should have kept my posts all in one thread. I'm keeping my fingers crossed you're right about looking luscious! I see it in my mind as looking luscious but with all the agonizing over it, I start to second guess myself.

OK, thanks for clarifying the test paint statement. I bought about 8 of the Lowes Valspar 1/2 pints in satin. I couldn't figure out why none of them looked good...they were all too glossy and I'd painted them on top of the med choc. brown wall. Then I had to go with the quart sizes of SW HGTV Showcase paint in flat (which looks more like BM eggshell). That made all the difference in the world! Took two quarts to choose the color. What sheen did you use?

I've had a love affair with this wallpaper for 15-16 years. My "trifecta" of colors...purple, deep tan and med sage-y green. For various reasons the wallpaper wasn't used and the color combo in DH's Cowboy Chic den was vetoed because of the purple :( Someday I'll sneak some purple in there!! ;) But in a couple of weeks or less, I'll have the purple (tho not the exact shade I had hoped for), deep tan and sage green in the front three rooms of the house.

Master on one end, dining and entry in the middle and bedrm #2 on the other end. Wonder if I could have gone a tad darker with the purple (sigh). If I change my mind again, I may not live to see it painted! <lol>

Here is the the paper that started it all 15 years. The dining rm, entry and bedrm #2 have been painted since 2007.

• monicakm_gw thanked Michael
  • Michael
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You can have the SW color made with the Valspar Reserve and it's a huge leap in quality, price, and durability. Always use two full coats regardless of your choice. SW purchased Valspar because it's a high quality product. You should get that room painted before the color goes out of style *wink

monicakm_gw thanked Michael
  • User
    7 years ago

LOL glad you winked there ...purples are my main color choice. I don't really care what is "popular" or "trendy" , doesn't mean I don't use some of those things but I really like purples and no one has thrown up when visiting me.

monica_kmgw you could go darker and duskier and it would look great as well. I use green as well and downstairs accents of red or terracotta. In the bedroom its a dark plum w/ pinks,yellows and whites.

monicakm_gw thanked User
  • monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

brushworks, I'm so confused about your recommendations (except for the Aura). I actually found a lumber yard much closer to me that sells BM but it's iffy if they can get the Aura in by Saturday and it's like $60+/gallon :o They don't keep it in stock because most people around here aren't willing to pay the difference in price.

The Lowes HGTV Showcase paint is no good but the much cheaper Valspar Reserve is much better? I found a msds sheet for the Reserve paint. It doesn't state the TD % only that the pigment type is TD. Maybe that means 100%, I dont' know. I'm not finding and reading all these TD percentages as eaisly as you. I'd call my painter to ask all these questions but even tho he does a good job at painting, he's one of those "no need to spend the extra money, such-in-such is good enough" type guys.

Maybe this will settle it. Which of these has the most TD pigment and the better, deeper, richer, flawless application/appearance? Valspar Reserve, SW Cashmere, Duration or Emerald? Why do I have to make everything so hard! Dumb internet!

• lascatx
    7 years ago

I agree -- not to upset your color choice, but if what you love is that wallpaper, you could use the lighter or midtone purple and then use the deep plum and green in the room. Does the wallpaper have a matcing or coordinating fabric (probably not since wallpaper has been "out" and is just returning on a smaller, more exclusie scale so far). Do you actually have the paper or just a picture of it? You can get a fan deck and try to match the deeper color -- or have them color match it.

Do you have a SW store? You might get more help there than at Lowe's -- big box stores vary in how much experience and help that can offer.

And from your description, it sounds like those pints are just color testers. Their real paint is probably as much different as the SW paint. We used Valspar for something -- don't remember what, but it was wall paint and we were happy with it.

The Cashmere paint is flat finish. The Peppercorn was actualy Emerald matte finish -- the only paint we could get a quart in and that was all we needed since we were painting just the lower part of the wall and have 6 windows, 3 doors, a 6 foot built-in and a fireplace on the three walls. Hope that helps.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I must have mis-communicated again. Sorry. No, I don't have the wallpaper. I used to have a sample of it but threw it away years ago after taking a picture of it to archive. I'm not using any wallpaper in my bedroom makeover. The colors in the wallpaper is what I've loved for so long. I was just showing it as a visual to the color palette I've been dreaming of for so long :) But it's not limited to one room. As of Sat I'll have 3 rooms painted in these colors. These three rooms all join and create the front of the house. The dining rm/entry already has some plum incorporated in it but I'll be adding more in the coming months.

Yes, we have a SW store semi-locally. I've been on the phone with them today. They were not able to tell me the exact percentage of titanium dioxide in their paints but said it varies with the color. As of right now, I'm using SW Emerald paint in matte, which has just a tad of sheen. Flat having none. Just got a call saying my carpet is IN :) Wasn't even supposed to be made till the 10th :)

Here is the carpet

• Michael
    7 years ago

I didn't say the Showcase was no good, I just wouldn't use it for your application. The HydraChroma Technology is why I recommend Reserve over the HGTV.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OK, so is the HydraChroma Technology in Valspar Reserve better than SW Emerald for my application? I've got my finger on my phone ready to call the painter (again) ;)

• lascatx
    7 years ago

You didn't misspeak - I was just asking if you have any of the wallpaper (sample, a book, etc.) so that you could color match. I have the Emerald matte and Cashmere flat next to each other (top/bottom not side/side) and I can't tell difference in sheen. Picking the finish was the hardest thing. We didn't have a choice on the quart and the gal we were working with pointed us toward the Cashmere for the ability to touch up if needed. Emerald has a very slight sheen, so it may be more washable on the wall. The Cashmere is flat but I have wiped the walls without removing paint, and you can touch up the flat more readily than a paint with sheen. It's a 6 of one/half a dozen of the other choice.

The Emerald paint is different in application. If I remember correctly, it is thicker and tends to dry faster - which means you can't roll over it once it starts to set up without risking essing it up. It's fine as long as you work smoothly across your surface and don't try to go back and touch up as you go. Your painter may have used already the Emerald and will adjust quickly if he hasn't. If I were painting the walls, I would prefer the Cashmere -- I like the ease of application and the look on the wall, but painted use them all.

I think you were being steered away from the HGTV paint line. I suspect that is a paint for the mass market and not as high a quality as the premium paints of either SW or the Valspar brands.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And it begins :) I'm vacuuming walls (and crown, base doors), DH's crew came by to move the furniture. DH is removing doors, the tv on the wall and taking up the old carpet and going back over the baseboards with a treated cloth. I'm not able to do it. Everything is off the walls and we'll fill nail holes. New carpet is here and I'm SO happy with it! It ended up being the shade of the smaller samples mailed by Milliken. Lighter than the retail sample board. It looks like the picture above. I'll vacuum the slab when the carpet and pad is up and we'll be ready for the painter tomorrow at 8. Sunday the carpet goes down :) SO excited!!!

• lascatx
    7 years ago

Can't wait to see it.

• Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

update??

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Update...(sigh). First the good news. Carpet is to die for! I LOVE it! Still getting used to putting my feet on white carpet. Makes me think I'm walking in snow :p So totally different than anything we've ever had in the past.

Bad news...The Berry Cream paint color is ALIVE! It changes colors more than any paint color I have ever seen :( It's different on different walls at the same time. I can stand in the room and see 4 or more colors at one time. And that's not a good thing :( At night or during the day with the lights off, it's mostly "ok". But you turn on lights (lamps or recessed lights) or open the blinds and it's anyone's guess. It can range from grape bubble gum, to neon purple to a pink-purple and if you're lucky, you might find a spot that looks like it's supposed to :o

It's not the painter or the paint. Painter did a fantastic job using SW Emerald. The walls are a gorgeous, saturated, rich matte. Two coats were applied. If I put the swatch I painted on white poster board on the wall they look almost identical, but, the poster board sample isn't as bright and has a smidgen less magenta. As I move the sample around to the various shades on the wall, it will always match the wall but consistently be a hair muted (not as bright). I don't know if I can live with it. I will have to for awhile. I wonder if any purple paint will do the same thing (have so many different looks at the same time).

And I can NOT photograph it! It looks worse in pictures. I will try with the Canon. So far I've only been using my Samsung S7 which has a incredible cam.

That scrumptious carpet deserves better! If it only looked like the sample board I painted, the sample from the fan deck or even what I see on MY monitor, I'd be happy.

ETA, and another thing...if you look at it from the dining room or the ensuite, it looks like it's supposed to. But standing IN the room, your time and direction facing is limited if you want to see the intended color.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

If it looks like the right color and it looks like you want from another room, I'd live with it a bit and try a few things before making a decision on repainting. Do you have the other elements of your room back in place?

The fact that the color photographs worse and it is worse wth lights on makes me thing there is hope that you might be able to change your light bulbs. We don't think of light bulbs as having a color, but they do. I had to change the bulbs in a couple of my rooms to keep the paint from changing badly . WHat kind of light bulbs and lighting do you have in the room?

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

lascatx, have most everything back in the room. If I had an "average" carpet of an "average" color in there, I could possibly live with the color. But the carpet is anything but average. That's why the soft plum had to be spot on! And then it morphed into a lilac-y plum. But on the walls....oy!

As for light bulbs, the recessed lighting is 65w incandescent. The lamps are also incandescent. Both lamps will have to be replaced. Color and style is wrong. Would you suggest a cool Reveal incandescent or the horrid CFLs that don't dim well?

The large canvas painting actually looks good on the wall, but, it looks out of place. It might take awhile to find exactly what I like. DH is suggesting a group of B&W family photos with white frames.

• elpaso1
    7 years ago

I was going to suggest playing around with bulbs. Try the reveal ones, and if that doesn't work, try a warm yellow bulb which should be the opposite of the reveal ones.

monicakm_gw thanked elpaso1
  • monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Aren't regular incandescent bulbs yellow and warm?

• lascatx
    7 years ago

A typical incandescent is a warm color light that will bring out yellow and red. You said you were seeing a tinge more magenta and my guess is that your light bulbs may be accentuating that. Reveal bulbs are supposed to be closer to daylight -- a more balanced light without being too cool. Halogen are also a whiter light, but they tend to burn even hotter than incandescent and are more energy efficient only to the extent that the whiter light means you may experience more from the same wattage.

If you are going to change bulbs, I would go to LED unless there is a reason not to (visible bulbs like exposed chandelier candle bulbs -- still haven't seen a great looking one). LED bulbs come in different color temperatures, which are easured in degrees on the Kelvin scale. The bulb makers seem to each offer 2 or 3 color temperatures. Warm is more like an incandescent. The Cool white can be bluish and the color so many folks hate for most purposes. It's the ones in the middle that I would try -- and they will have different names and some will be a little on the warmer side, some on the slightly cooler side. You might try one of a couple of different bulbs to see if you prefer one over another.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Sorry, but I can't believe you even considered that color paint for a room used by both a husband and wife. That is a not a color for a room used long term. IMO it's teen color.

• Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

Wow. So rude.

• Jennifer
    7 years ago

In my own experience, testing different lightbulbs was the key. I have BM Quiet Moments a grey-blue. It really changes throughout the day which I love. At night however, the light blubs made it yucky green. I tested different bulb brands until I found one that gave the right effect. Then I invested - and it is an investment - to switch all to the right one. I bought a few extra too since products seem to change and the bulbs last a long time. I didn't want to have to start over when one finally burned out. Since I'm a completely different color, blue vs. purple, I don't have a recommendation other than to experiment. Btw, it is a beautiful color. My house has nothing that color but DH said we should have lilac walls in the bedroom. He who chooses blue for everything!

monicakm_gw thanked Jennifer
  • monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, Beverly, my husband likes to make me happy and has no problem with it even tho it didn't turn out like it was suppose to. And those pictures you posted are nowhere near the color in the color strip I posted in this thread. So, like hockeymom...how rude.

Now for why I came back to this thread (I don't get emails when someone updates the thread). I haven't posted pictures because it's useless. First, it's not the color I chose (literally!) and second, it's MANY colors at the same time of the day, same lighting, just depends which direction you're looking. Add monitors and cameras to the mix and it's a lose lose. It looks it's best at night with lamps but still too much magenta in the mix.

A few days ago DH said if I wanted, we could have it repainted. As sick as I was that it turned out like it did, now I have to start the process all over again lol. Yesterday I painted a large sample of each of the 9 shades of purple I bought on a couple of sheets of poster board. Side by side were the two "Berry Cream" colors. One came from Lowes and one came from SW. Both are SW paint and paint color. The Lowes version (HGTV Showcase paint by SW) is HGSW2424. THIS is the color I based my decision on. The SW store color number is SW9075. Both called Berry Cream. I used SW's Emerald paint. I had no reason to beleive the colors would look different. Well, I guess I knew they COULD but shouldn't if mixed correctly. It's not glaring but there is a difference in the two colors. And the SW's mixed color has more magenta in it than the one from Lowes. And it's the magenta that is causing the problem.

Are the colors meant to be slightly different? I doubt it. Did Lowes mis-mix or did SW? If I had it remixed to the original Lowes color, would it make that much difference? Don't know, don't know and don't know :o Should I just give up on purple and go with a cream color? Probably! What you wanna bet I can drive myself crazy with a color as simple as cream :( Paint and I will never be friends (sigh)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago

Monica, While looking online for pics of Berry Cream in a room (couldn't find any), I saw this, which looked very nice, and in the pic, the color of the rug looks similar to yours. Their 2014 Color of the Year -

"Sherwin Williams has announced its color of the year is Exclusive Plum (SW

1. described as a versatile color that can be used in a variety of
      spaces. For a cozy, masculine den, Jackie Jordan, Director of Color
      Marketing at Sherwin-Williams recommends pairing Exclusive Plum with
      accents of copper and well-worn leather. Exclusive Plum can also be
      layered with gold, gray and white for an elegant, dreamy bedroom, or
      highlighted against white subway tile and chrome fixtures for a
      statement master bathroom. Pops of magenta and chartreuse can liven up
      Exclusive Plum for a more energetic space and when paired with creamy
      whites or other neutrals, the mellow yet purposeful purple can turn any
      space into a refreshing retreat.

“This dusky, filtered violet is refined without being stuffy, elegant
    yet easy, and layered with romantic potential. It has an amazing
    quality and can be adapted for nearly any space, whether used as an
    accent or for an entire room,” says Jordan. Each year, Jordan, along
    with other Sherwin-Williams color experts, researches color influences
    from around the world to determine the annual color forecast and the
    Color of the Year. For a first look at her suggestions about how to use
    Exclusive Plum and the other color palettes for 2014, watch the video “2014 Color Trend Sneak Peek" narrated by Jordan. The Color Forecast 2014 is comprised of 38 colors that are grouped into four palettes: Reasoned, Diaphanous, Intrinsic and Curiosity, the group in which Exclusive Plum is applied."

monicakm_gw thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

Purple is also the "it" color in this months Better homes and gardens. The one above posted by my3dogs looks lovely.

monicakm_gw thanked Hockeymom84
  • monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hockeymom, which month is the current issue? Oct or Nov?

My3dogs, that is a beautiful color!!! I've seen so many beautiful "grownup" purples/plums but when I put them on the wall, it's totally different. I did make a fatal mistake tho thinking I could over come the surrounding color. I painted large swatches of all my sample paints on top of the chocolate brown walls. However, the paint I chose, I painted on white poster board and that didn't bode well for me either :o I just don't have a paint "gene" (sigh).

Not sure that I can put anything with a gray base or undertone with my carpet. I had high hopes for Tropical Dusk but that (I see it) as having too much gray. The picture you posted above doesn't show the gray but other photos and the fan deck color does. Where is the Paint Fairy when you need her!?

Here is a picture of my carpet and two warmer brown toned plums and Exclusive Plum.

JUST IN CASE I GIVE UP ON PLUM, I'll be looking at a rich cream color. When does cream start to turn to tan? I would want a contrast to the carpet background to stand out against the white base and crown moulding but I don't want "tan". Any examples?

If anyone is still reading, bless you!

• Michael
    7 years ago

Emerald will not look like Showcase. Why? Differing substances used as pigments.

• Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

November 2016.

• Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

These are pretty....

• Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

• monicakm_gw thanked Hockeymom84
  • lascatx
    7 years ago

I hope you don't give up on the plum. First, that's what you wanted, Second, cream may not be difficult to get just right with that carpet and have both the carpet and walls look lucious. I'm sure it can be done (that SW Mmacchiato above looks closest to where I would start - or the BM Muslin in the link -- your carpet didn't strike me as having the yellow/golden tones of the warmer creams), but I don't think you can get there with computer monitor images.

The comment above about the color looking different in the Emerald base -- since you were working with two different SW bases, they should be able to get the color formula right for the base, but each paint is a different base formula so the pigmentation that goes into that base will be different from one for the same reulting color in a different base. And it's not just the amount - can be totally different pigments. I found that out when we got samples and tried them in the room and I went back and talked to them about cancelling some green in one and trying another at a different value -- we started looking at the formulas to see what pigment would offset the green in one and then whether the other was divisible by 2 or 3 to figure out what percentages we could try and still get the same color balance. I'm one of those weird people who gets into the formulas.

Do you have some of the paint left? Or you sample/test boards? Take them to the store. Ask them who their best color person is and talk to them about the results and formulas. Show them that the magenta is just a bit too much and it doesn't work on the wall where the light bounces off it. If you have something that is the color you want, have they try shooting it for a color match (yes, they can even shoot one of their own chips and have it come up slightly different than the official formula -- it might have faded or the inks the chips are printed with may be slightly different than the paint). Compare the formulas for the two paints in the same color. They might be able to add the slightest amount of blue to what you were using. They might be able to add the slightest amount of blue to what you were using. Compare that to the option of going a bit darker.

If you like it but it isn't quite right, work with it. If you have decided you don't like the idea -- that's different.

• tracey_b
    7 years ago

I have SW Soulmate in my dining room. It was a lovely eggplant at first, but now in most light all I see is "crayola purple", but it's still a nice purple. Most people (who like purple) love the room. However, I'll be changing it soon to something that enhances the antique dark walnut furniture.

monicakm_gw thanked tracey_b
  • monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Before GW, I didn't need a painting engineering degree, to choose a paint color :o White is starting to....nah!

Thanks for the pictures Hockeymom. The color on the wall right now is similar to the far right purple in the purple paint line up. It says to balance with whites and creams which is exactly what I've done. The cream shades look good enough to eat :) Haven't spent TOO much time looking at creams yet but two that stood out to me on the fan deck were Brandy Cream and Muslin.

Tracey, How long has your dining room been painted Soulmate and do you think it's changed colors/faded? Is there some other reason the color could have changed like different furniture, flooring or window coverings? I'd love to see a picture if you're comfortable with posting one.

lascatx, I don't want to give up on the plum! I don't usually waver once I latch on to a vision. I just didn't expect THIS vision to be so finicky! Don't know how I can afford to buy 1/2 dozen or so quarts of Emerald paint as samples since it HAS to be the exact sheen and formula I'm going to use and then $80 on actual color. I have about 1/2 gallon of the Berry Cream they could work with (if they're willing). It just needs to be more muted/dusky but I'm learning that no matter what you think of the color dab on the top of a paint can or a fan deck or even a 12x12 painted on a poster board, nothing will prepare you for what it looks like covering 4 walls...at least when it comes to purples.

Thanks again to ALL that have helped with comments and advice! Oh, I found the lamp of my dreams last night. I have to sell a kidney to be able to afford it tho :o I MUST have this lamp! $390 :(

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ingeorgia, I used SW Emerald paint and it covered beautifully! It's a luscious, velvety, thick paint. Course I have a kick-butt painter too! He makes it looks so easy. Hope he's looking forward to repainting my bedroom lol What color plum do you have in your bedroom?

• lascatx
    7 years ago

I don't know if you have to use the Emerald to get the color right. I bought 5 or 6 samples while they were having a 40% sale and they were a little less than $5 each -- and I used them as primer before I painted the wall paint. At least for mine, the color was good -- the coverage was differrent. And yeah, it had a higher sheen. I really wish they do samples in flat, but I don't think it changed the color so much as it just looked richer when it went on in the flat or matte finishes.

Two questions: Are you loving the general color now that it's up on four walls, if not the exact color. I'm not sure if you want the color you expected with less magenta or if the purple itself is too much. If the color is what you want but for a little too much magenta, you have to go back to the store and get them to help you work it out. If the color isn't right even with some magenta removed or cancelled out, then you need to look for a different color.

Third question -- have you tried using different light bulbs as several of us suggested?

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Why can't anyone sell samples in a flat or matte? :/ To me, it does make a difference. I didn't think about waiting till they had sales. I can wait, I'm not in a big hurry.

Are you loving the general color now that it's up on four walls

lasatx, that's a hard question to answer. I've been thinking about it. In general, I like the color...well, one or two of the colors it can be at any given time. I'm not opposed to the color it's self. I'm opposed to the variety of colors it can turn and with the carpet. It's too bright for the carpet and the ambiance I wanted to project. It COULD look good if I didn't have a preconceived notion of what I expected. It's not the grownup plum I want. If I'm going to stay with purple, I think it's going to have to be a more brown based purple (which was suggested to me in one of my earlier threads on this topic). I originally didn't consider going that dark but I would. The gray based plums are pretty and give that dusky warmth but I don't think the gray base works with the creamy background of the carpet or the reddish brown floral print.

I do think it's the magenta that's giving me fits but I've been wrong on ALL counts so far so who knows. When I can get to the SW store (40 miles one way) I'll take the left over paint and see if they'll work with me. I'm also going to test the Soulmate and possibly the Expressive Plum colors. I'm open to suggestions tho!!! I don't see how you can make an educated choice unless you paint all 4 walls since the same paint can be multiple colors at the same time. I never noticed the med chocolate brown color I had before this being that way.

I have not tried the Reveal bulbs yet. I looked for them at WM a few days ago and didn't find any. I have to drive 40 miles one way to get to any other stores :o

• lascatx
    7 years ago

I suspect you could order some LED and Reveal bulbs online if it is that difficult to find them, Amazon has them -- some for Prime and some cheaper ones available as add ons -- so you need a $25 purchase. You could also try the Halogena ones, but they will burn hotter and may not be as good for all locations.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

Monica, got an email announcing 30% off o SW paint this weekend -- Friday through Monday. When we were picking piant, we went in on Friday and bought some samples then went hom and put them on the wall. Looked at them at night and in the daylight. Went back and got a couple of other samples and retinted one. Back home to put paint on the wall. Then we went and bought the paint. My sister bought a house that she wasn't in and bought her paint, then went back after she moved and tested the colors in the space to have it tinted. Either way, you can take advantage of the sale (but point out the extra magenta in the paint you got -- they might retint it free if you still want the color you started with).

• lauragamm
    6 years ago

Bought this paint to match up with the current interior walls. Flat paint, same color. Guess what? This paint has a sheen to it. Now what?? I have shiney spots....was remodeling the kitchen, just touching up before backsplash installed....now I have shiney spots instead of flat???

• Cathy B
    4 years ago
    My experience with the HGTV color/paint is although the color is nice the paint itself was horrible. After two coats and awful results I called in a professional printer who told me he would not use that paint

Sherwin store says they hear this all the time AND they do not stand by the paint quality of the HGTV paint
  • HU-374225212
    4 years ago

HGTV paint by Sherwin Williams uses a brighter white for its base than paint from a SW store. Your color will be different. The top two paint swatches are Indeed the same SW color but one sample is from SW store and the other from Lowe’s.

• HU-951336039
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Explain why this is peeling? HGTV Sherwin Williams showcase.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, I'm not a painter but I would think either old paint or the surface wasn't prepped correctly :(