SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtdj519

Fireplace mirror size?

last month
last modified: last month

my fireplace mantle is 7 feet long.

i have 42 inches of space from top of mantel to bottom of crown molding.

if i follow the suggested 2/3 size of mantle guide, that would be to use a 56 inch wide mirror. it had been hard to find a mirror in a 30x56 that looks nice and is also affordable.

i found this one that i like , but would a 48 wide be too small?

a chandelier will be installed soon, so the mirror will be reflecting it

Comments (82)

• last month

From West Elm:

gtdj519 thanked elcieg
  • last month

Thanks for the suggestion elcieg. the measurment would be perfect, but i dont care for the design, as it really would not go well in my home.. i would like something more understated and classic to me, that mirror is a statmenet on its own. with a statement chandelier being installed and art, it think it would all be too much. great piece for a soace, just not going to work in mine. the measurements are perfect though!! 😡

• Related Discussions

Need a vote-Artwork or mirror?? (on the fireplace-pics included)

Q

Comments (11)
    IMHO - I don't care for mirrors over a fireplace. When you sit on the sofas/chairs all you see is a reflection of the ceiling. An exception for me are the starburst mirrors, but only if the mirror itself is tiny in the center with the "starburst" itself encompassing most of the piece. So I am in agreement with the ladies in favor of artwork. Can someone photoshop the artwork you've chosen to scale for you to see - or can you tape a 24 X 24 piece of paper to the wall? My first reaction was that a horizontal piece would work best but seeing it mocked to scale can really make a difference as to what looks the nicest. I know you have said the tv is at the right level, but it seems to be too low for that wall. As it is now, you have the tv placed on a "shelf" - the shelf being the top of the table so I cannot envision placing another shelf above that. If you look on the examples shown on the link that elsa sent, you will see that 1)the tv is mounted to the wall and the shelves are under the tv - not over and 2)where there is furniture like you have, the pieces are more substantial and higher, and they do NOT have shelves over them. The examples at that link seem to be more in scale with a wall of your size. As always, IMHO.
    ...See More

Fireplace size vs firebox size -is there a formula?

Q

Comments (4)
    We’ve been moving the past few days so they can start demo tomorrow :) I’ll try to get a drawing and inspo pic loaded once we have our internet up and running at our temp location.
    ...See More

Mirror over fireplace

Q

Comments (19)
    I would not go bigger or higher. In my opinion, you are maxing it out right now. My thought is if you go larger, you will upset the balance and proportions of the fireplace. Don't worry about trying to "fill the space" above the fireplace/2-story ceilings.
    ...See More

Bathroom vanity mirror size for 2 different sized vanities.

Q

Comments (1)
    Post a picture
    ...See More
  • last month

The mirror will be hung on the wall. i do not want it just sitting on the mantel.

if i go with either of these, with 42 inches of wall height above the fireplace, there would be about 6 inches of wall above and 6 inches below the mirror. .

• last month

Both of those mirrors are boring. Sorry. You're focusing too much on the size and not the aesthetic.

• last month

• last month

I agree with Kate, it looks boring. Have you considered a round black mirror ?

• last month

thanks for comments. there are 2 things at play here. the wall space height above the fireplace is only 42 inches. the largest round mirror i could use would be 40 round( which would be practically touching the mantel and crown molding

if i did a round 36-38, it would fit better, however the issue then lies with the width/ diameter of the mirror is so small compared to the width of a 7 foot mantle. i can try a round 36 or 38 to see how it looks.

The mirrors i am looking at may be considered boring by some, but to me , it is just simple and elegance. I am not looking for a unique mirror. i will be installing a statement chandelier, so I am not looking for a competitor. The reality is that I do have to consider size for it to look appropriate. A mirror too small will look awful and a mirror too big will look awful.

My coffee table is oval and the chandeliers that I am considering are both round. i also have round table lamps and 2 large round seating ottomans, On the opposite wall i plan on having some circular scultpured art that I like above a sideboard. I do have some other shapes in the room that aren’t featured in the pic.

• last month

I got a 36 round sample mirror to try out sizing. I could also get a 38 so it is a little bigger, but that is as big as I could go.

this is the 36.

i think the black looks okay, but i think id prefer a softer finish of silver.

I think the round shape is pretty, but does then36 or a 38 look too small over the mantle size?

• last month

The round mirror looks about a thousand times better imo. I would do 38".

gtdj519 thanked ilikefriday
  • last month

If i can find a 38… am looking and i see mostly 36 🤦🏼‍♀️

• last month

I saw this mirror in person. It is a lovely gilded gold, and also comes in silver leaf. It looks more expensive than it is. Lots of purchasing options if you search it. 36" round, 38.5 to the top. Gold is so pretty with blue, as is silver.

Love the blue! Please share your paint color!

ETA be sure to shop it if you're interested, as I said, lots of purchasing options. And here it is in Silver Leaf

• last month

I think the best way to use round within your size constraints would be if you layered it like some of the examples posted above. It looks too small with too much space left over that will get too busy if you try to fill it with 'stuff'.

I know you are probably sick of more suggestions but when I was looking for inspo pics I kept seeing this idea and wondered what you might think of it. I think it would work great to solve your problem of a long mantel with a ceiling height like yours. People have added really simple molding/woodwork above the mantel to narrow the actual place to hang a mirror or art. It seems to make the proportions easier to work with and ads some interest that isn't more 'stuff.' Without much $ you might be able to add a very simple embellishment also above the cabinets that could make picking and hanging art easier by having a defined area to hang it. This was a DIY project:

I thought this was an interesting round choice with just a few items on the mantel to balance,

Here is the layered look using a vintage mirror and a bit of layering.

An idea for a more interesting mirror choice might be to scout some vintage/antique shops and see if you can find something that either matches your color preference or could be painted. Even a beautiful old frame could have mirror added.

This isn't old but an interesting shapeI that could work and could be painted to match your trim or gold or silver.

And honestly, you have a beautiful room and wonderful taste, but I think all of your issues could be solved if your cabinets were taller. If they were closer to the height of the mantel, you wouldn't feel like you have so much wall to decorate. You could add a mirror and stack some art on the mantel and forget hanging art on the sides. Your items on the top of the cabinets would be much taller in the room and what you put above the mantel would be the finishing touch with your new chandelier reflected.

I don't know where you found your cabinets but if you like the idea of making them taller, maybe there are matching pieces you could add below the cabinets to raise them. Or even a simple box with trim added and painted to match could work. Or maybe get two more and stack them. Maybe there are ready made drawer stacks that could be added below. Or maybe hang them above the floor

Fireplace with more extensive trim added and taller cabinets, though I think these could be a bit taller, too.

• last month

Thank you olychick for offering so many suggestions. the molding idea/ building up cabients is a clever one, however , neither my husband nor I are handy, so everything we do, we have to hire someone. Labor is very expensive wherei live (NY) and small jobs like that can cost hundreds. We have paid for so many renovations recently , and still going through some; have to allot funds to other areas of the house.

I see the layering idea, but to me, if i am layering the mirror with other items, it feels just as cluttered to me as adding stuff to the mantel to fill in the empty sides. I’d like to keep the sides simple. I honestly just plan on the 2 candle holders pictured, and if anything at all, maybe 1 item on the other side.

i know a mirror can work here , it‘s just figuring out the appropriate size and shape. i have weird dimensions in this room, so it gives me a major maigraiine trying to piece it all together. 🤦🏼‍♀️

i appreciate all suggestions. i am listening and trying the ones i think are feasible. i really appreiciate it !

• last month

At this point, let size be your last decision and consider the entirety of the wall by creating a connection and the mirror’s shape (and eventual) size will be easier.…if a bit on the smaller size, offset with mantle accessories and/or wireless sconces.

If on the larger size, not a big deal….if sides feel balanced.

Deciding on the overall look/frame/color will at least help, as what you have been doing doesn’t seem to have you gotten you any further ahead and is discouraging I’m sure.

• last month

not thinking of if size is hard. if i see a mirror i like, it may not come in a size appropriate enough ( for example, it may only come ip to a size 28 diameter if a round, which will look odd as it way too small, even with adding surrounding elements)

I like a rectangle, i think a round looks nice, maybe an arched shape if it fit well; i havent seen an arched one in my spwce.

once again, i do have to think of sizing. if i decide on a particular shape, and i cant get the right size in that shape, where do i stand?

for example, i like how the round shape looked, but is the 36 too small? and if it is too small, the most easily found next size up is 39. with 42 inches of wall, is a 39 going to be too cramped?

• last month

I totally get that you want a clean minimal look (my mantle is below lol) - 2 ideas to add to the conversation:

do vertical mirrors (maybe in antiqued mirror) above each cabinet with a nice lamp in front and then artwork over the mantle -

Or if you’re set on a mirror to reflect the chandy, I would get the side walls set and then add the mirror - I really think the mirror is hard to do in isolation (you might find you want something different once the side pieces are hung)

my home · More Info

• PRO
    last month

My rule of thumb is that mirrors should only be used as decorative items if what is being reflected is worth seeing.

• last month

I think the round mirror that you have now is fine in terms of size. A couple of inches bigger would be better since not much will accompany it on the mantel.

• last month

Suggest looking on line, as sometimes mirrors come in different sizes. At this point, you know your parameters, max dimensions and I believe you prefer horizontal. Just tape out on wall to be sure prior to purchasing (and look into look return policy).

With having a style in mind, your search won’t be as difficult.

https://www.wayfair.ca/Mercer41--Aleeza-Beveled-Accent-Mirror-X115708862-L41-K%7EC004637933.html?refid=PSO446-C004637933_1653224181_1698095763&PiID%5B%5D=1653224181&PiID%5B%5D=1698095763

• last month

Have you considered a custom frame for your mirror? I have had excellent results working with local framing shops in design just the size and design I want.

• last month

Omg la_la girl…. i am not going back to trying mirrors/ lamps on cabinets LOL.

i tried out many versions of it, ( i thought you may have been on some off those threads - maybe not)

i cant used mirrors above the cabinets , as the one on the right shows a beautiful reflection of my kitchen microwave! i settled on art over cabinets and mirror over fireplace.

nice mantel. simple yet pretty and interesting

• last month

^ ah okay on the side mirrors, didn't realize that had already been explored! NVM

Wonder about something custom from Etsy? Also wondering if an arch seems a better fit than a plain rectangular shape?

• last month

Ive looked at custom , but they are so expensive. i have a budget which makes this all the more difficult. 🤦🏼‍♀️

i thought about arched, but most are not that wide and would be too small width wise. I have also not seen an arch shape in my room yet. i have tried rectangle and round so far.

i found this one that is very simple and the size seems like it could work ( 40 high would be almost at crown molding height of 42. may look too tight??

• last month

Ive looked at custom , but they are so expensive. i have a budget which makes this all the more difficult. 🤦🏼‍♀️

i thought about arched, but most are not that wide and would be too small width wise. I have also not seen an arch shape in my room yet. i have tried rectangle and round so far.

i found this one that is very simple and the size seems like it could work ( 40 high would be almost at crown molding height of 42. may look too tight??

• last month

I would tape it out before buying it to see what I thought

gtdj519 thanked la_la Girl
  • last month

@Kate Cowers, is it really necessary to be so harsh.
    Some of us find it hard to make decisions and maybe more so when others don’t agree with our direction. Don’t read if you feel so impatient about someone making a decision. Really what’s it to you? Scroll on by.

gtdj519 thanked cubby14
  • last month

@Kate Cowers

Interesting that you make the comment on this post where the OP is engaged with the conversation. It has been 3 days. She has already gone out and tried a circular mirror. You can hardly get an Amazon purchase in that amount of time. She is not on your clock.

gtdj519 thanked ilikefriday
  • last month

I am so not sure what that means.......

• last month

Guess i missed Kate Cowers recent comment; as I dont see what you are talking about. i only know that she previously stated my room looks boring.

I must have missed the memo of what constitutes a fun and exciting living room. 😂

”you’re living room is so exciting!!” said no one… ever.

thanks for the support houzz friends, for whatever impatience and harshness was posted.

• last month

Just don't get caught up with following the sizing guidelines as your only goal. They are just that, guidelines or suggestions, and not absolutes. There are times when rules/guidelines should be bent or broken! I think that is why you are getting so many comments to go bigger with the mirror.

gtdj519 thanked chispa
  • last month

Yes chispa, i agree about breaking rules at times. i do that quite often with great end results. very sound advice , as nit every house can follow the exact rules.

i guess right now is, if i go rectangle l, is the one i have too big?

if i go circle, is the 36 sample i have okay or is a 36 too small ? if it is too small, i can only go up to 38 or 39 due to wall height of 42. The circle shape loos nice, but i can only go so big with it

• last month

I think you know the answer about the round one, and the answer is no. It doesn’t take up enough horizontal space. Even if you go up to 39 it will only be three inches wider (because math) and will probably still look too narrow and bare. The obvious solution would be to add other objects on the side, as has been suggested, but you already said you wouldn’t like to do that. So I think you’re a bit stuck, just based on the geometry of the existing condition and because of how circles work. As for the rectangular ones I think choice 2 is a better size. Beverly’s last suggestion with the round mirror and surrounding objects is much more lively and interesting.

• last month

If you like the round, what about something like this? I didn't check dimensions, just posting for concept:

The frame could easily be painted:

eta: Oops, I missed a bunch of postings where I now see you've considered this.

gtdj519 thanked Olychick
  • last month

I'm not sure why I keep looking for new options for you, lol, but I decided to look up mirror tiles used over fireplace to see if there were any ideas and found this!

They have a DIY tutorial. They added some more elaborate trim than you might want, but I think it could be trimmed simply and easily. HD and Lowes will cut pieces to size for you. Or a handyman with decent skills wouldn't charge too much.

Mirror tiles

here is one with no trim at all. They used antiqued finish, but I think a plain beveled edge would work:

• last month

yes, id like to keep the mantel simple, but i did say that i was planning on keeping the existing candles , but would add something if needed to the other side ( to make up for lack of width)

i am not opposed to doing so.

• 21 days ago

finally receoved the 39 round mirror I ordered. ant better than the 36?

will the 39 be too close to the crown molding now though once hung on the wall and looked cramped? there will only be an 1.5 inches of space between the molding/ mantle snd mirror frame at this 39 size .

here is the 36 size i tried previously and current 39 size. not a significant difference that i see, other than how the mirror frame will be closer both to crown/ mantle .

although the 36 is smalle, , i am thinking maybe that is the better way to go to not have it look like it was crammed in (?) unless i am wrong and that is how it is suppose to look? almost touching the ceiling??? i have no idea 🤦🏼‍♀️

36 size

39 size

• 21 days ago

OMG you STILL haven't made a decision on this?????

• 21 days ago
    last modified: 21 days ago

The difference in the overall look of these two mirrors is negligible. Either one is fine and will look great. You are focusing on something that in the end, once the entire room is put together, will not matter. There will be many other aspects of the space to draw attention, especially since you don't plan on putting anything else on the mantel. The two pieces of art that you are planning will likely call more attention than the mirror.

• 21 days ago

Thanks ilikefriday. yes, to me it is negligible as well. i will probably do a 36 then , just to give a bit more space and not have it looked crammed in. I will add something to the other side to balance out the dead space. Ive been reading up about fireplace mirror sizing and several articles have said its fine to go smaller, and balance out mantle with candles/ decor etc. incan add something simple to the right.

and you”re correct, the art will be more of a focus once hung, and i have a chandelier i am waiting on for delivery, which will be a statement piece in the room.

no Kate Cowers….. considering i just received the 39 inch mirror yesterday and that it took 10 days for it to arrive, i didnt make my decision yet. I am not sure as to why you are concerned about it or even commenting if you have nothing helpful to add.

thanks

everyone else, I i appreciate all the help and suggestions with it youre all great 😊

• 21 days ago

I think Kate Cowers is forming a habit of making rude and unhelpful comments on this post. It's a shame that a presumably grown person does not have some better way to spend her time. It's rather sad really.

• 21 days ago

I understand with what you are saying ilikefriday, but I dont get bothered by it I have empathy for whatever may have happened to her in life to make her this way. I try to remind myself that everyone has a story. Its not normal to be like that and it is sad really.

• 21 days ago

I love your way of gracefully putting people in their place.

• 20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

Ha! Such assumptions you make! WRONG WRONG WRONG You know nothing about me. My ”habit” is to not beat around the bush with the hand wringing types of questions people ask. Sorry if honest and blunt doesn't suit you. .

• 20 days ago

Being honest does not have to be rude. It's so easy to be nice. Sorry if that doesn't suit you,.

• 20 days ago

There is no assuming that you are rude and snarky; your repeatedly hostile responses are posted by you for all to see. Well regulated and content people do not typically respond the way that you do. When a person repeatedly does respond in an unjustified negative way, , their behavior says more about them than it does about you.

Honesty and bluntness are what most houzzers come here looking for- advice and guidance to help them make decisions. the ” hand wringing” types of questions people ask are warranted. Home renovations, decor, furniture etc are all very expensive and sometimes permanent fixtures. A poor decision can become a coslty do over.

I have had so many gracious and helpful memebrs walk me through many projects over the years and I in turn have also tried to help others. That is the purpose of this forum and iif helping others feels like beating around the bush” to you, then simply dont click on a discusison. and if you do clcik on the discussion and you are frustrated with where a person is at in their project or that they are taking awhile contemplating a decision, simply move along. No one is twisting your fingers to reply. Frustration and displaced anger doesn’t serve this forum well . wishing you well and some inner peace.

• 20 days ago

There is a problem when stranger repeatedly comments in a rude way on the same post. Kate Cowers you demonstrate a juvenile mindset and an inability to regulate your thoughts and actions in a reasonably mature fashion.

• 20 days ago

Yes ilikefriday. Very unstable behavior; not normal at all . Bizarre

• 20 days ago

I like the 36” mirror too. Oh and that chandelier, very pretty!!

gtdj519 thanked jackowskib
  • 20 days ago

Thanks jackowskib i am going to get a 36 , but in a silver finish, not black. the black was just a sample to try out the size.

thank you…. the chandelier is really beautiful in person. I saw it in a lighting showroom and it looked so etheral and dreamy. each glass is shaped like a flower petal . i cant wait for it to arrive and see it installed .

that is also why i want to keep the mirror style simple, as the chandelier will already be a statement in the room, plus the art once added , as ilikefriday pointed out .

i think the round shape softens all the rectangles, but the 36 will fit best; despite it not being as wide as is ” recommended”.

As chispa and others noted, the rules can be broken in certain cases. Adding something to the other side of the mantle as olychick and others recommended will help to fill in dead space. Work in progress, but all helpful suggestions and ideas!!