SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
publickman

Paint shortage at Sherwin Williams

Lars
4 months ago

We recently had some repair work done on an exterior window frame and now need to paint the new wood that was added. When we had our house painted in September 2017, the painter wanted to use Sherwin Williams, and so we agreed to that. We have plenty of the main wall color, but we have none of the trim color, Origami White, left over, which has a base color A61 W 51, bright white semi-gloss. When we went to a SW paint store yesterday in Culver City, the person at the store said that this was not available at this time, although he had full gloss in inventory, but I did not want to use that, since it would not match what we already have.

Have you noticed paint shortages, as described in this article?

We were told to call back in two weeks to see if there was more inventory. We could have gone to Ontario to buy the paint, but that is half way to Palm Springs and not convenient. Should we try to order the paint on line? What is going to happen to the prices?

Comments (46)

• Arapaho-Rd
    4 months ago

Lars, funny, I have the same problem with exterior window trim needing to be replaced and only have main house color remaining. Mine was painted with Behr and no trouble getting more trim paint, except in figuring out the match since the painter took the can with the formula on it.

Lars thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Lars
    Original Author
    4 months ago

My painter left all the cans of paint - after all, I bought all the paint myself, and the painter never went to the paint store - that was part of the deal. I don't remember how much the paint cost, but I've heard that the prices are going up.

• Related Discussions

c2 paint matches in Sherwin Williams paint

Q

Comments (10)
    Professionally finished cabinets are done in an opaque conversion varnish. Calling that “paint” is like calling your kids go kart an Indy car. Yeah, the’re both open wheel vehicles. No further similarities exist. If this guy doesn’t finish his products in house, with a conversion varnish, you don’t need to use him. Period. Your contractor is a hack by extension of even recommending this route. Professionally Finishing cabinets is 40-60% of the total cost of the cabinets. In other words, what you paid for the cabinets, get ready to write that same check to a pro finisher. Properly Finishing is just as much work as making them. Or more, if you want paint and glaze. Average for a standard 12x12 kitchen, redo, is 7-9K. Bigger kitchens are more. Taller cabinets are more. More details are more. Glazed are more. Islands are always more. Custom colors are more. And that’s with the doors done off site in a clean room, as they should be. All brand new cabinets should be coated in a clean room with a conversion varnish, by the maker, or his specialty finisher. See why I say he is a hack woodworker? A true custom cabinet maker controls the entire process, from lumber purchase through the installation in your home. He doesn’t allow some hack housepainter with a spray gun to ruin all his hard work.
    ...See More

Exterior Paint Color Help! Sherwin Williams paint. Sedona Canyon roof

Q

Comments (8)
    I've been looking at high end roofing tile websites and one of them has a color expert that made recommendations for house paint colors with their orange/brown roof tiles. Here is a link to some of the schemes they recommend that may give you some inspiration: https://www.davinciroofscapes.com/blog/exterior-color-schemes-autumn/ You can color match to Sherwin Williams brand paint.
    ...See More

Sherwin Williams white flour on trim and doors. What to paint walls?

Q

Comments (18)
    These are from the Yellow Hue Family. It depends upon how light + how colourful, or near to neutral you wish to go + what your inherent lighting can best support? If you have lower levels of light, slightly more colourful whites may feel less gloomy than the most neutral types of whites. Extra White is from the Green-Yellow Hue Family. Chantilly Lace is a very near neutral white from the Green-Yellow Hue Family.
    ...See More

Sherwin Williams Infinity Paint

Q

Comments (4)
    If you were talking to Me, PCC- I just stated ABOUT 2 Minutes. It varies a little by Brand & Product-line. An AVERAGE "Open time" is 2-3 minutes nowadays. In fact.....BM is soon phasing-in a slightly modified version of a couple of their paint-lines. That's all I can hint at for now. Open-times will be a LITTLE better. CABINET & TRIM Versions have a much better "Open time"!! >>>> HOWEVER >>>>> This implies that you LAY DOWN the pieces that you can. Taking off Doors, etc. Simple Physics dictate this! Slightly thinner coats must be applied to vertical work to avoid sagging. BM's ADVANCE C&T stresses OVERNIGHT between coats. Faron
    ...See More
  • Fun2BHere
    4 months ago

Couldn't you get a match made with Dunn Edwards or another paint?

Lars thanked Fun2BHere
  • PRO
    Art 4 The Masses
    4 months ago

Most of the paint shortage is in contractor paint which was used. But some are getting into the retail paint. Personally I would use retail over contractor. You get more out of the retail side like Superpaint & up, you can check their website out. When Texas got the freeze early this year it damaged pipes and materials at various plants. Sherwin does make paint in Texas as well other companies supply raw materials for businesses. Who knows how long it will take to get production up as like before.

Lars thanked Art 4 The Masses
  • Lars
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I can wait a couple of weeks for SW paint, but if it takes longer than that, then I could consider trying to get a match with Benjamin Moore. I can't be sure that other paint companies will not also have shortages, and I think SW should get more inventory in the next two weeks, but I will have to make sure that I call and check weekly.

• Diane Baum
    4 months ago

An employee at SW told me I couldn’t get a sample of SW paint because of the flood in Texas. I don’t think it’s all paint companies.

Lars thanked Diane Baum
  • Springroz
    4 months ago

My PPG store sign says, ”We will NOT raise paint prices due to shortages”.

Lars thanked Springroz
  • Lars
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I believe that SW was increasing its prices in anticipation of shortages, even before they happened.

• Holly- Kay
    4 months ago

I just had he whole interior of the home we will be moving into painted with SW Emerald. The paint has definitely gone up in price. i’ve had the same painter for many years and he told me about shortages and price increases. I’m so glad it’s finished!

Lars thanked Holly- Kay
  • Rho Dodendron
    4 months ago

"I can wait a couple of weeks for SW paint, but if it takes longer than that, then I could consider trying to get a match"

Good plan because *I* was told to expect a paint shortage due to the aluminum cans being in short supply.

Lars thanked Rho Dodendron
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    4 months ago

DD is planning on some painting inside her house. Just called my SW commercial store and they said they had most interiors but the exterior products were very hard to come by.

Lars thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • Lori L
    3 months ago

Sherwin Williams has been having a paint shortage for the past year. First due to COVID, now due to the February winter storm in Texas, now can shortage... yet no other paint manufacturer is experiencing an inability to produce and sell paint, and their prices are not going up. It's a Sherwin Williams production problem. It has been impossible to get paint from them for the past few months, I'm trying to touch up my exterior paint so I can sell my house. I will never use Sherwin Williams again!

Lars thanked Lori L
  • salonva
    3 months ago

I had been hearing this but I pass by SW stores around, and they are still open. Is it only certain paints or are they selling everything but paints? (asks the procrastinator in the group who was just getting around to picking up paint ).

Lars thanked salonva
  • Springroz
    3 months ago

This is starting to feel like a third world country. My hay cutter needs a new tire, and there is NOT a single one in the US, that DH can find. I had to go to 3 places to get a tire for the Jeep. Our ”car row” looks so strange with no cars. I remember back in the ’80’s, Honda was socking cars away in storage buildings to create more demand. I am starting to wonder…..

Lars thanked Springroz
  • Lukki Irish
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I had to pick house colors without samples. Scary. I ordered some painted stickies from an online store. The house was painted Saturday and they arrived on Monday (thanks to USPS!) I was told the shortage will last for months.

I noticed the empty lots too! I best sell the car I need to sell. I’ve been procrastinating, bleh…

Lars thanked Lukki Irish
  • Ophelia Bosch
    2 months ago

My designer helped me select kitchen and bath wall colors two days ago using a Sherwin Williams fan deck. Contractor wants to start painting in three days, so I went into the neighborhood SW store to pick up paint chips and perhaps buy a few samples to paint on the wall. Scrap that idea. I'm in the Seattle area and that SW store had no interior paint to sell me until September/October (for now) depending on the base tint, and absolutely no paint samples to sell. Apparently they don't tint samples on site, they are shipped to store ready to sell.

I selected paint chips/swatches, went home to pick colors, and turned around and went to Home Depot to buy the selected colors in the Behr Marquee line. Apparently they have inventory and samples to sell but are beginning to run low on certain paint line base tints, with Behr Marquee and Premium Plus in the dark tint being the most popular and low in stock.

If you want paint, buy it now as there may be a downstream/ripple effect from the SW shortage.

Lars thanked Ophelia Bosch
  • suedonim75
    2 months ago

My brother works for a Lowes distribution center. SW’s contract with Lowes states that they must maintain a constant inventory or face steep fines. So with Covid and the Texas freeze, this has caused them to have shortages in their stores. It is just now starting to trickle down to the other paint companies. They could maintain their inventories all this time because they werent supplying large quantities to the big box stores.

Lars thanked suedonim75
  • Lars
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I didn't know that you could buy SW paint at Lowe's, since I almost never go there. Thanks for that information. There is a Lowe's fairly close to me, but there is a Home Depot 1.1 miles from my house, practically walking distance.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    2 months ago

The paint is not the same quality as SW paint. I bought some quarts for a mural and it was like water, runny, drippy and a PITA to use.

• Lori L
    2 months ago

I will never again buy SW paint. I had wanted to put my house on the market two months ago but have been waiting for paint to match the existing colors. From now on, only Benjamin Moore.

• Milt
    2 months ago

We've used SW semi-gloss alabaster on trim in our entire house and need to repaint in the basement and there is none to be found anywhere. I've called multiple locations in Maryland. One location told me that semi-gloss is not as popular a type, that they use their raw materials to make flat and satin. I guess a lot of people don't have trim, LOL.

Lars thanked Milt
  • HU-464286693
    2 months ago

Satin is often used in trim these days.

Lars thanked HU-464286693
  • Faron79
    2 months ago

I've had a couple price-increases from the ACE/BM Pipeline. No shortages of paints up HERE, but we know how to deal with cold weather ......😈😎.

Just joking...... mostly....but TX, etc., should realize that COLD snaps can happen anywhere. I wish I was in charge of some building regulations!

ND's Building-Codes would assure there's never an issue with weather! It's just embarrassing how lax/short-sighted TX (& other areas) was!!!

Separately.....put me in charge of GM for a while!!!!!! THEN you'd see some excitement back in CARS! There wouldn't be many floaty "Old Man" cars, that's for DAMN sure.....

Faron

Lars thanked Faron79
  • Lars
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I experienced cold snaps when I lived in Texas, and they were expected, even in Houston.

Where I live in Los Angeles (near the beach) we have not had a frost since I've lived there, and I've been in L.A. since 1989. I grow orchids and bromeliads in my back yard and have no problems with them with regards to temperatures. I also grow sensitive herbs and vegetables (including tomatoes) in the winter.

I do realize that the cold air in North Dakota eventually makes its way to Texas, but one afternoon in February in central TX I happened to get a Fargo ND radio station that reported the temperature to be -12°F while it was 88°F where I was. I did not think this was possible; i.e., I did not believe that it could be -12°F in the afternoon anywhere that late in February. This happened when I was a teenager, and so it was a very long time ago.

• suedonim75
    2 months ago

“ND's Building-Codes would assure there's never an issue with weather! It's just embarrassing how lax/short-sighted TX (& other areas) was!!!”

Well, building codes wouldnt have helped the ”powe grid collapse”. Lack of power caused their supplies to freeze and it kept the petroleum companies from operating.

(building codes play no part in the collapse of the power grid, thats caused by de-regulation).

Lars thanked suedonim75
  • donnastarr26
    last month

Miller Paints in Oregon is out of exterior paints as well.

Lars thanked donnastarr26
  • SeattleMCM
    last month
    last modified: last month

When I went into the Sherwin Williams store last July, I overheard the manager telling a customer all local stores were out of dark base -- which eliminates a ton of colors.

Their deck stains have been out of stock forever too. I've been waiting over 6 months to get my deck redone. I was somewhat flexible about brand and color too. Fall rain has returned so at this point I have to cancel the project until next summer. :(

• suedonim75
    last month

Yeah, I wanted to repaint my fence, and I cant because it requires a deep base. It’s really irritating, but Im not all that upset that I got out of doing the work, lol lol.

• cgtmc
    last month

Yes, we were having our house painted in June and wanted to use Sherwin Williams, but they could't fill the order, so we used Benjamin Moore. I also noticed SW has not had their usual paint sales.

• slk1000 K
    last month

We got a quote to paint our interior walls and were told they use SW Superpaint. I asked if that was equivalent to BM Regal select and was told yes. After researching it, that doesn't look accurate. On the actual quote it states recommended paint Duration. I called and she said due to shortages she is able to get a larger discount on Superpaint and it would be $550 more. Is Superpaint somewhat equivalent to Duration or is Duration much better. I'm also worried about the VOC.

• goddess8 88
    last month

What other brand of paint is equivalent to SW Super paint?

I have received three quotes based on using SW Super paint/Satin. The painter I selected told me he could not get the paint on the day he was to start work. He said he could get the paint from Home Depot. Which I assume is Behr.

I called several SW stores in GA area, they have Eggshell, no Satin, not even sure when they will get it in. I NEED to have this rental property painted by end of this month. So I may need to go with another brand. I will need to ask for a price adjustment, how much to ask for?

Lars thanked goddess8 88
  • suedonim75
    last month

Superpaint doesnt come in eggshell finish.

Lars thanked suedonim75
  • Alicia
    last month

Yep there is a paint shortage along with everything else. white is the hardest to get.

Lars thanked Alicia
  • Sister Sunnie
    last month

Timely post as yesterday I had to travel over a hundred miles to three different SW stores to get one gallon each of flat, eggshell and semi gloss Pure White paint to finish a whole house paint job. i will say the staff was very accomodating and called around to find what i needed, and those stores had it ready and waiting.

Lars thanked Sister Sunnie
  • homechef59
    last month

Last month between my painter and myself, we had to go to five different SW stores in order to get enough exterior SW to paint my home. We did it, but it was complicated and time consuming. Every store said the same thing, they just don't know what is coming off the truck and have no idea when things will get better.

Not my painter, but a guy that paints a lot of houses in my neighborhood told us that he saw the Sherwin-Williams 18-wheeler truck on the highway. He started following him to his next delivery. He then bought $8,000 worth of paint right off the truck. This the only way he can keep his crews going.

Another painter friend of mine said that the real shortage is in the cheaper grades of paints that the builders use. The builders are having to resort to using higher, more expensive grades of paint in new construction. It's pissing them off and cutting into their profit.

Lars thanked homechef59
  • goddess8 88
    last month

Sister Sunnie & homechef59,

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! This will be a mark on history like the oil shortage in the late 70's!

Long story short I switched to a different painter, and he said he has a 'stash'! Maybe he followed a SW delivery truck too. :-)

Lars thanked goddess8 88
  • Robbin S
    last month

Yep. Just drove 112 miles to get only ONE gallon of exterior paint in satin gloss (deep base). I haven’t found SW’s lighter paints at all in stock since I got a quart for a sample in early June. Not even one gallon within 260 miles of my house. I feel like the shortage is getting much worse due to pent-up demand!

Lars thanked Robbin S
  • miketeri72
    22 days ago

I wanted some paint samples while trying to decide on interior paint. It is a $3,000.00 paint job and I wanted to be sure of the color. You can't get paint samples from Sherwin Williams, they have none of the little cans of paint. Benjamin Moore, here I come!!!

• Robbin S
    22 days ago

One addition to consider: You might also get just as much value from ordering 1-ft square samples from Samplize.com. I love them. They’re just the right size! They’re 100% accurate colors. They carry all the major paint suppliers/manufacturers. And best of all there’s no wasting paint or recycling it if you don’t like the color! It won’t work if you require seeing a huge area of each sample painted in order to make a choice on colors, but it works for me. I used it when deciding paint colors for a new house build - for both interior paint and exterior paint.

• S R
    22 days ago

I bought paint st SW this afternoon. They didn’t have a gallon in the Duration Satin, only two quarts. I went ahead and bought those because they aren’t sure when the next shipment will arrive.

Lars thanked S R
  • cgtmc
    12 days ago

I wonder why Sherwin Williams is the only one having supply issues, Home Depot and Benjamin Moore have paint , at least in our town.

Lars thanked cgtmc
  • Sister Sunnie
    12 days ago

I heard that there was a fire in the main SW warehouse and they lost major raw materials.

Lars thanked Sister Sunnie
  • Robbin S
    12 days ago

We just tried to get Benjamin Moore paint & that store said they’ve been out of the deep paint base in Satin finish for a long time. Might have to do with the type of base needed.

Lars thanked Robbin S
  • Robbin S
    12 days ago

And this may also explain a lot of it. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5934912001 (article is 2-weeks old though).

Lars thanked Robbin S
Sponsored
Alpha Centauri Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Loudoun Kitchen & Bath Remodeling & Designs for Everyday Living