SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cinnamongirlwilson

Desperately seeking suggestions for awkward corner nook!

This is in my family room; the view from the windows is perennial gardens and I'd like to focus on keeping the view unobstructed. I just haven't been able to get the right look; any suggestions for seating would be greatly appreciated.

ktdecor's ideas · More Info

Comments (73)

• Lj Granger
    last year

Replace the windows with Bay windows with seats! Live plant groupings to give it a fun retreat feel!

• stellarceline
    last year

Frankly it seems super obstructed right now. I wouldn't put anything in that corner but plants. Nix the table, swagged light, drapes, etc.

• Related Discussions

Desperately Seeking Comments on My Layout!!!

Q

Comments (4)
    I don't mind the teasing at all. The room to the right is a maid's room which I decided to preserve as a breakfast nook and laundry. The banquette is a daybed and because it has pocket doors between it and the kitchen and has a bathroom, it can serve as an extra bedroom in addition to my den/2nd BR. I considered opening it up but didn't really feel as though the kitchen was so much better to make it worth the expense (dollars and loss of extra room). The kitchen itself has no window and that was part of the reason to open it to the DR. The maid's room has 2 windows (and another in the little bathroom) and is quite cozy. The wine refrigerator is in there less because I planned to drink wine there but because it seemed like a good place to put it. It could also go just to the right of the door to the kitchen but I think it might throw off the balance of the room. I like the idea of putting the range on the south wall but I am concerned that I wouldn't have enough counter and storage space if I eliminated the peninsula. I would much prefer having the 2nd oven be higher but I couldn't think of how to do it in the space and thus made it under the counter. Outside of the door next to the refrigerator is a service stairwell. This is an apartment, not a house, which perhaps I should have indicated. So there will not be any traffic other than to take out trash or to access the service elevator.
    ...See More

Desperately seeking layout ideas

Q

Comments (45)
    rhome: Yes, the Feb. 22 version is the one being worked up. The little yellow band is the current opening to the LR, which will be widened to 11 feet (almost to the little brown closet). Also we will probably shorten the island from the current 8 feet to about 6.5. I had not really thought of things the way you describe, probably because I never have used a prep sink. I wasn't really planning on using this one much - that was my wife's idea, I figured I would use the main sink. Perhaps my tune would change if I had the option, but the concept of a separate prep and clean-up area is foreign to me. Would swapping the prep sink and the microwave make more sense? The only alternative is moving the fridge down and putting the window on the other side of it, but that leaves no light coming in that corner and a big window next to a really big door. As for running into people helping cook or doing cleanup: does that *really* happen in other peoples' kitchens? I should have such problems!! holli: Thanks for the plan and comments. I wish I had the extra width to have a pantry on the one side. I am still debating the small closet we have in that space. We may put that in the adjoining living room to keep a clean line along that wall/sightline. Your distances between prep fridge and stove are similar; do you find them problematic? Also: Does the dining area serve as your dining room? If so, how is that working out for you? Thanks, all!
    ...See More

Desperately Seeking- Perfect Gray/Blue Exterior Paint Color for Stucco

Q

Comments (3)
    Ask your painter if they use SW or Dunn Edwards. Have them pick up a quart of each of your two choices in the preferred brand, and then have them paint a 4 foot wide swath from floor to ceiling on the front wall.
    ...See More

awkward corner media space - what to do here?

Q

Comments (46)
    I think a built-in or a console is fine. I think a console would likely be less expensive. Really, a built-in is going to be just the shape of a console. That is all you can fit. As far as option 2, Yes, you would have an issue with the sofa the way I am showing or with flipping the sofa with the chairs. Design is not always perfection and involves compromises. I suggest you might have to spend $ on something going forward -Is that a bathroom? If so, the door must swing out. If not, can you change the swing? -How a bout a new sofa that is more compact.? The width of the room is a matter of math. You have 155". 155-89=66. With the current sofa, that gives you a total of 66" for door swing for both doors. What is the total of door swing for both doors total?
    ...See More
  • sammonsmarylou
    last year

I would use a swivel rocker small in size perhaps to that you can also have swivel to view the out doors. Round shape takes less space! And the swivel rocker can procure a beautiful view!

• Eileen Maxey
    last year

Its always great to think about how you need a space to function first. Is it a bedroom- Living area? This looks to be next to the kitchen so I think the bankett with a bistro table makes sense.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

i don't believe you've told us the measurements of the nook yet. Also include the extended area out where that chair is. Suggestions for two chairs seem like it would be crowded to me.

• B. McL
    last year

Do not attempt to label or ‘furnish’ this architectural gift!
    I would place nothing but a palm tree or ficas tree which will enrich the senses and not diminish all the beauty that is already offered!
    If the sun shines into the nook, a very few small crystal items on window ledges will catch the sun late afternoon, and sprinkle the room with tiny rainbows!!
    A small very short floor light tilted up upon the tree will allow the nook to further make an impression in the evening!, use a timer.
    ….As ALWAYS,
    Less is More!
    If you insist on adding ‘things’ instead… make the space stand on its own, not just more living room! Stuff.
    I imagine 1. A boho macrame hanging chair or hanging rattan chair (with grass green colored throw pillows)., that twirls. Very small wall shelves (3) hung horizontally each with one tea light candle (battery ok).
    Have fun with this delightful asset!, 🌻Babette McL

• HU-384606396
    last year

Depending on age a nice place to put a small round table and two chairs for having tea and

conversation with a view. A good place to keep the mother in laws silver tea set and use it.

• User
    last year

Whatever you decide to do to re-do this space (another vote for “less is more,” ) be sure to post the ”after” photo

• XenoXenia Page
    last year

That looks like something my grandmother also had in her home and what she had done was made it feel like its own little space. She used it for relaxing and soaking in the sun and reading. There was a chaise with a small table beside it and against the large wall was a beautiful half bookcase that had all she loved to read in it along with a small bank. Similarly a cousin has the same thing and went a different route, she made it her "green corner" putting lovely plants to grow there, she kept it until her dogs began constantly messing with the plants then she also made it into a reading corner. Main goal is don't clutter the corner because it'll get stuffy, dark and not a space you're going to be happy in.

• katrina_ellen
    last year

I'm with the others that said window seats are not comfy. Do you want to sit in the space or do you truly want it unobstructed? I like it as is but take out the table, thats the obstruction. I like the light fixture and chair where its at. Anything you put there will be an obstruction.

• wiseca9
    last year
    last modified: last year

You have the perfect spot for a cozy reading corner! Those huge windows need to be the focal point! I would remove everything you have and add 4 things: swivel chair, ottoman, floor lamp behind the chair, and a small table. (Two chairs will look overcrowded.) I would even remove the ceiling light (swag light isn't good for reading) and window treatments. The table in this example below is too high, you'll want a table that is 'arm height'. Pottery Barn has a small black folding table that works great. They also have the perfect size leather swivel chair (Irving). I would put the chair with the back to the fireplace so you can enjoy the view! Add a colorful pillow and blanket to make it your cozy place.

• Margie Kieper
    last year

If the focus is on keeping everything unobstructed then I would remove EVERYTHING from that corner (especially the valances and the hanging lamp!) and add a built-in L-shaped window bench. It looks very…wrong…now with all the oddball things thrown in there to “decorate” it. But is really a shame is that you haven’t any function in mind for this area. How would you like to use this? It sounds like you don’t want to use it. Then I would definitely recommend the built-in window bench. Function should come first.

• HU-384606396
    last year

I would like to use it for the view and a cup of tea with a friend. It isn't like you are going to spend hours couped up in that corner alone. Sharing a view with a friend is nice, being comfortable with a cup of tea or coffee is nice. Moving from a tiny corner to a fireplace or

couch is hospitable. Or, depending on where the view is, a walk outside is nice. I doubt if

the owner expected so many suggestions. I hope she will share what she decides.

• felizlady
    last year

How about two round swivel chairs facing each other across the nook and a smaller table
    in the corner where the windows meet for putting your book or cup of coffee?

• kmsimpson2000
    last year

I would definitley get rid of the hangling light, it blocks the windows. I think getting rid of most everything in there and simply putting in a bench as was posted earlier is a great idea. The bench leaves it open to enjoy the view when standing while still giving a place to sit and relax while enjoying the view.

• Jilly
    last year

I came across this picture on IG and thought of this thread. A window seat can be plenty comfortable if built well.

I had one in my bedroom growing up and loved it.

I think you have plenty of room for a deep one. Etsy has some great cushions like this if you go that route.

• Ann Pagano
    last year

Not sure how you want to use the space. Reading nook or extra seating for guests with a view?

-Empty space including window treatment and hanging light fixture

-Frame the view with simple full length off white curtains with rod placed high above the top of the window. Fabric can be nubby or smooth what ever fits your liking. just not shinny formal fabric.. Shop Home Goods for curtains 94 " length probably.

-Simple curtain rod. with more pics of the room a curtain rod color.....dark brown or brass could be chosen.

-No window seat. No place to lean back except on the side of the hard brick fire place or against the windows and they're uncomfortable.

For seating guests:

-2 small swivel chairs...World Cost Plus have a couple different styles large and small. Get two of the smaller swivel chairs Small Cost Plus chairs look similar the chair in the picture.. Add a wood coffee table height or taller round table. The wood will anchor the space and speak to the greens and browns of the beautiful view. If you want to keep it really light go with a glass top table.

- Lighting: Two brass lamps from Target that are called Pharmacy style lamps. Target has modern and traditional looks Pharmacy lamps. No matter what way you place your chairs the lamps can be used due to their flexibility. You can also just place one Pharmacy lamp in the corner and it would shine on the table. It wouldn't be a reading light. Taller table you can use a great looking lamp.

Option: a true ready nook

-no room for too smaller chairs?

- one larger swivel chair from World Cost Plus an ottoman

- frame window with full length curtains, frames and softens the corner to feel more relaxing. See above

-small side table and one Pharmacy lamp.

- place your pets bed behind the chair? or set further back.

• Madeline Cureton
    last year

Clear Everything out of the nook and replace with a comfortably upholstered built-in window seat with a couple of good pillows so that a person could sit in the window to read & look out with great natural
    Light and when not in use a completely unobstructed view. If a light is required in the corner for night reading - wall mount a light on the wall where a person’s back would be situated.

• Maureen
    last year

I’d try removing everything, even window treatment, then pull the blue chair towards fireplace and see what you think and didn't cost anything.

• Gail B
    last year

What did you decide on?

• coray
    last year

The suggestions of built-in window seats baffle me. If you want to enjoy the views, you’ll want something comfy to look TOWARDS the windows, not away from them, with your back to the views. How does one get comfortable reading a book in a banquette? Built-in seating, such as described above, would be great for puzzling (with a table, obviously), playing games etc, not for relaxing or reading…..try to envision yourself there, and what it is you want from that corner. You mentioned enjoying the views, and you’ve received a lot of good tips here: swivel chair(s), or a chaise longue, smaller table, perhaps, a small ottoman, removing the dog bed, the plant, the little window thingies…. All these will take you in the right direction. If you want to keep a light fixture there, try a clear, round glass fixture; you get to keep your light, but it’s visually a lot less obstructive than your current one. Please think about the built-in seating before you go ahead with that….I’d hate for you to go through with it, spend $$ etc, then realize that no one wants to sit there, that it’s not very comfortable, and your back is to your garden, which defeats the purpose of your post, as I see it.

• coray
    last year

Take a close look at the next to last photo posted here, with the person lying on the built-in bench: it looks super uncomfortable, in every way….how long would one want to lie there and read before one’s back starts to scream??

• Jilly
    last year

Looks pretty comfy to me.

• HU-384606396
    last year

Like 90-% of young girls, I always wanted a window seat. It was because I saw them in old movies. Lately, I enjoy cups of tea with friends who drop by and we sit either by my fireplace

or at the kitchen table. If I had that alcove, I would just have a small round table and a couple

of soft chairs so I could have cosy conversations with the view and a friend and some antique

cups and saucers and my tea cosy covered teapot. Ideally, I would have a way to keep the

tea hot until the pot was empty or my friend had left, whichever came first.

• HU-384606396
    last year

I decorate for the people who live in the house. For their pleasure and comfort. Not to make it look like it came out of a magazine. I would never put crystals where the sun shines unless you want to start a fire. I did that once and the sun burnt a strip over my cheque book It was smoking when I found it. I do not like putting doo dads on window sills either. Windows are

functional and those happen to be beautiful just as they are. If that is a fireplace next to it, isn't that the focal point of the room? Just leave it empty with the lovely windows and view. I can't

wait to see what she decides. This is so much fun.

• Kathi Steele
    last year

Not a fan of banquettes. They look beautiful and are uncomfortable/miserable to sit on.

I agree with all that said, move everything out and then see how you want it to work.

A larger picture of the room and a floor plan would be helpful.

• Gail B
    last year

Do you have cats? Perfect place to watch the outside.

Definitely move the dog bed.

• maggierateye
    last year

The simplest fix would be to switch out the table with the chair and buy a floor lamp to read by. The table would make a nice console against the wall.

• maggierateye
    last year

… and remove the hanging fixture altogether.

• faithjp
    last year

What a wonderful space! I feel that there is too much going on and it looks cluttered. I love your table, but it’s too big and too high for that space and obstructs the windows. Take everything out, including the hanging light fixture and valance. Then try to envision how you would use the space, with minimal decor, focusing on the view beyond.

• indigoenergie
    last year

I agree that everything (valances, light fixture, painting) should be taken down and live with it for a bit to see what you envision. I also agree that I would hang sheer white curtains at ceiling level and just at the edges of the window frame to the floor. I might also suggest that you paint the crossmembers of the windows a matte black. It will recede them and make it easier on your eyes to view the greenery from inside. They will virtually disappear.

• HU-384606396
    last year

Those lovely view windows don't need curtains. I doubt if they would ever need to be closed.

Drapes soften a room, but why shut out a view or spoil the look of beautiful windows. The

valances are very ugly and should disappear. The painting is a sad distraction and the lamp

looks like a leftover from some other unused room. I agree that it should be stripped, a nice

dark colour on the walls and leave it until you are inspired to use it or not. Just the view is

distraction enough from a lovely fireplace. I hope there is nothing over the fireplace like the

sunflowers or a lineup of trinkets on the mantel. If the lightweigt curtains are left on, maybe

they would move gently in a breeze if the windows were open a bit. That would be nice.

• Gail B
    last year

Has the OP replied to anything? Care to show what you've tried so far? 

Otherwise this is discussion for no purpose.

Lets see the whole room. One picture isn't enough.

• HU-384606396
    last year

I think the comments on rooms like this would be popular. I know it is fun for me. I am one of

those people who think they have all the answers because I have decorated so many homes from many moves across the country and renovated houses and criticized the photos of "staged"

houses for sale where you see a corner of an empty room or a peek into a bathroom where the toilet seat is up. I could do so much better with my experience of "making do." Talented amateurs can be so interesting. i.e. Why have a ceiling fixture/fan or any kind of lighting except

lamps and maybe something warm and directed toward a dining room table. I detest ceiling lights, absolutely abhor ceiling fans in this country - (Canada).

• SWC
    last year

These are my own thoughts and life style at the moment, As an empty nestor with no grand kids yet, I would do the following: take everything out of your nook including the light fixture and valances, it is not that they are ugly in any way, they just distract from this very pretty space, let the view of your perennial garden be the focus, paint the window frame and sill a satin black paint, on the wall where the sunflower painting is, I would instead put a very narrow book case that might be vintage or weathered a bit to go with the brick of your fireplace, make sure the bookcase is narrow, doing a quick google search brought up some cool vintage farmhouse bookcases, it looks like your kitchen is adjacent so i would stock this bookcase with lots of cookbooks and other books, maybe scatter a few photos in frames in between. And that's it, that is all I would do. If i did have young kids or grand kids, i might do something completely differnet like put a soft sheepskin rug on the ground and put toys in baskets and children's books on a bookcase etc, where I might be able to be on the floor with the child and play a little or read, or allow the child to be alone playing in this nook with me nearby on the sofa. good luck.

• HU-384606396
    last year

NIcely done. Like beauty, 'ugly' is in the eye of the beholder.

But you have done a good job of addressing what could be better.

• D e
    last year

Remove everything, including window treatments. Add back a small but comfy chair that twirls and place it near the fireplace. Maybe add a narrow table for a book and beverage. It will be lovely and wide open.

• Karen Boyter
    last year

On the window I would put bamboo shades that come down from the top and up from the bottom.   Remove the hanging light fixture.  Put a chair in the corner with a small end table and lamp.   Along the wall under the sunflowers a small writing desk or rectangular table for a laptop and charging electronics.   Fill in spots with plants once the furniture is in.

• Kris Ritter
    last year

One option to try is to remove everything from that corner and then just try different combinations of furniture that you already have…even from different rooms …to give you some idea of what feels right to you and how you would use the space.
    I like the idea of two chairs and a small table where you could have a cup of coffee and look at the gardens.
    Or would you enjoy a reading corner with bookshelves under the window?

• conniecornwall
    last year

I would take everything out of there and put in a bench seat with storage underneath and a big overstuffed seat cushion on the top. Where the picture is on the wall I would put a long rectangular mirror or a leaner mirror to reflect the light from the yard. Keep it simple, cosy to show the beautiful yard.

• Jilly
    last year

Wonder if the OP will ever be back. Popular thread. ;)

• christymcd
    last year

You did not include what you like to do. For example, many people are suggesting a reading corner but if you do not enjoy reading then that is a waste. Do you like to journal or do crosswords? If so, I think putting a desk in that space facing the view would be perfect. Pick a very simple clean lined desk and use a ghost chair so you do not block the view.

• flgarden
    last year

No window seat, please. Sit on it and you are looking into the room, not out. It would also take up real estate which you do not have extra to spare. Ditch the valance. It is dated, wrong proportion, clutters up the small space and serves no purpose. If you need light control consider linen pull down Roman shades close to wall color. The table is GREAT (Biedermeier ?) It gives purpose to the space and seems very inviting, no matter the activity. 2 small scale wood chairs, maybe with slat backs to not block the view. The plant stand is the wrong proportion and relates to nothing around it. However it is a good space for plants. Try grouping a few pots on a tray in center of table. This would not take up visual space and could be set aside for card games, etc. The art work is perfect, nice color palette and right size for the space. No need to spend a lot of money, simplify and enjoy.

• Kathi Steele
    last year

Has the OP responded to any of the answering posts??

• shari13
    last year

Maybe we offended the OP but I rather thought ideas were interesting.

• User
    last year

Even though I can see your house is modern, I would be very tempted to buy these two chairs and put one directly into the nook, with its back against the brick fireplace, and the other angled toward it under your sunflower painting.

https://www.chairish.com/product/1367986/french-louis-xv-style-vintage-pair-silver-gilt-recaimers-small-chaise-lounges

I would move the fern into the window corner unless it terribly blocks the view. (It’s a great fern!) I’d get rid of the valence and the sphere chandelier, but I think I woud sneak a very narrow floor lamp into the corner where the brick meets the wall, or do a pin-up sconce there

• cinnamongirlwilson
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks so much to all who provided input. I'm just finishing this room. I feel that a home should reflect the people who live in it, hence the reason I'm keeping the skis (they were my husband's grandfather's and we live near slopes). I agree with those who said the banquette was beautiful but not comfortable...I tried it!

• therealnester
    last year

Apologies if this has already been said but I don't have time to read all comments. I had a living room that was similiarly awkward and it took me so long to find a good furniture placement. Bear with me. While I can't see the rest of the living room, I suggest arranging the living room furniture with the end of that stone wall (fireplace I assume?) as if it were the wall. So in other words the rug would stop where or near where the fireplace ends.

What makes that lovely space awkward is that it looks as if it's trying to be part of the living room. My suggestion would be, after you move the rug, switch the table and chair. Table under painting, chair in a "room with a view." It becomes a destination, a resting spot, a lovely special corner for retreat.

At that point you have created an entrance area for the living room, possibly a gallery effect on the wall. Add a lamp to the table below the picture to make it a a real statement piece, which it is! Maybe some lighting in window area. Then you play with placement of things in the corner that draws the eye and gives people an opportunity to say, what's the story behind those skis? P.S. What a view out that window!!

• Kathi Steele
    last year

OP, cinnamongirlwilson, can you post pictures of what you ended up doing?? Would like to see the finished product.

• therealnester
    last year

@cinnamongirlwilson I realize you may be finished with your living room but I just opened a story that has a picture with similiar layout as yours and it shows exactly what I was trying to explain. The story is from June 3 by Mitchell Parker and the story is titled "New this week: 5 stylish living rooms with personality." The first photo looks like your room, I think. See what you think!