SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_360192309

Is there such a thing as a “dark academia” garden?

Kelly Kashian
last month

Since we’re on the cusp of gardening season, I have been thinking about my deck/balcony (a completely underutilized and uninspiring space).

My cats would love to spend more time lying on the deck, sunning their tummies, chasing leaves, and watching the hummingbirds that pop by for a visit. Unfortunately, my husband and I don’t enjoy spending time on the deck, thus the cats don’t get to spend much time out there (the bars on our railing are spaced super far apart, so we don’t feel comfortable letting the cats out there by themselves).

Our townhouse’s previous owners left us a patio table and chairs (the chairs are still in winter storage, thus they’re not in the pictures), so we do have a place to sit when we go outside. Even though the chairs aren’t uncomfortable, we don’t enjoy reading books or playing on our phones in those chairs.

Also, the exterior wall colors suck, but it’s a townhouse and I have a HOA; hence I cannot paint the outside walls.

Plus, the sliding doors that lead to our deck are basically in the center of our home, so the view of that deck can be seen from all the common spaces. Consequently, I would for our deck to be less of an eyesore and compliment the design of our home’s interior.

I would love suggestions on what I can do make our deck:

1. An extension of our home,
  2. A destination
  3. A place that attracts more hummingbirds, butterflies

The measurements of our deck are 211 inches by 161 inches

(more detailed measurements in my terrible handwriting)

The art on the wall was left by the previous owners, so I'm not attached to it. The wood door leads to an outdoor storage closet.

View looking out.

Comments (27)