SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Some of your favorite things in your garden

I finished pruning the yew hedge yesterday. The hedge is Taxus baccata, about eight feet tall, twenty-five feet long, perhaps five feet wide at the base at the widest part, narrowing slightly as it goes up. Pruning it is a bear, as I have to use a ladder, and yews are bendy plants--soft, though, if you happen to fall into one--and the ground slopes in two directions, making placing the ladder difficult. I prune it all with hand shears, being terrified of power tools. The result of all this labor is impressive, though: a wall of fine-textured dark green, handsome as can be.

The hedge forms a flattish crescent rather than a straight line, and on the downhill side is a narrow strip of dank shaded infertile soil, bounded below by a narrow path. You'd think it would be a hopeless place to get anything to grow, but moss likes it there, and its velvety acid green is beautiful. Also our native primroses love it. They're in bloom now, pale greenish yellow flowers, harmonizing with the moss and the yews. The soil really is terrible there: thin gray clay over rock. But some plants like terrible soil.

The yew hedge was started with six inch tall plants bought from a wholesale nursery, then time did most of the job. My democratic-snob spirit loves the hedge, and gardening in general: while I may not be able to afford marble fountains, I can permit myself highly aristocratic plants and effects, affordable even on a modest budget. Requirements are ground to grow things, patience, and knowledge.

So, what are some of your favorite things in your garden? They can be plants or non-plants, made or grown by you or present before you arrived, accidental or planned. What are some of your delights?

Comments (37)