SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueskysunnyday

Custom cabinet maker says this can't be done, plus pull-out trash ques

blueskysunnyday
2 years ago

Hi, Houzzers. We are planning a kitchen renovation and at a meeting with the cabinet maker yesterday I was surprised that what I want can't be accomplished (according to him). We have unused depth in the island -- about 6 inches of empty space behind the cabinets. I asked if we could make extra-deep cabients because I don't like wasted space. For the drawer stack, the answer is yes, assuming he is able to source the Blum extra-long full-extension drawer glides. However, for the pull-out trash, the answer was no because they come as a unit and are only made for standard cabinets. We have a problem with our current pull-out trash that I was hoping we coiuld remedy with extra-deep glides -- we cannot get the rear can (recycling) out without removing the front can (trash). The glides on our current trash are full-extension, but it just does not seem to come far enough out. Is this a problem that other folks have and we have all accepted that this is the way trash pull-outs function or is our current one unusual? If this is a standard pull-out trash issue, then I want to push my cabinet maker to fix it (assuming the drawer glides are available), but am unsure if he is correct that he really can't. Thanks in advance for your input!

Comments (10)