SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josh_kohl

issues with newly finished hardwoods

Josh Kohl
2 years ago

We had our white oak floors refinished a little over a year ago. We had carpeting removed in our living room and hardwoods put in its place to match our dining room and kitchen. We have noticed splitting where the new floors butt up to the old floors and several areas of moldy spots on the new floors. My question is, why is this happening? We do not have a moisture problem and there hasn’t been any spills or leaks in our living room. We use only bona floor cleaner. My husband and I have had hardwoods all our lives and never dealt with anything like this. I should mention the flooring company that installed and refinished our floors installed the wrong wood at first (they installed red not white) and had to rip out and reinstall the correct wood. Then when the finishers were there they told us the flooring company miscalculated the square footage by about 300 square feet. The finishers seemed upset bu this. I’m bringing this up because our floors look like crap. When the new floors were installed the flooring company recommended the water base finish. We had oil base before and they looked great no issues and they were the original 20 year old floors. Why are we dealing with all these issues only a year later? I should also mention when they installed the new floors (the second time) they did not put the flooring in our home. It was left in on our cold damp garage until the day they installed the floors. It was October in Wisconsin so you can imagine the weather. I’m wondering if the finishers didn’t use enough coats of the water base to protect our floors. Maybe to cut cost or time? Or was it the way they were installed?

Comment (1)