Food Floof! Dips!
4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (60)
Related Discussions
Food Floof! Potluck Specialty
Comments (69)I am another lover of potlucks. So many flavors and a variety of stuff I don't usually bake/make and some I've never heard of. Love it! Love it! My DIL has a family reunion (100th this year) that she has invited us to attend for the last 10 years that she and DS have been married. So sweet since they are the only family I have -- while she has 87 cousins and a passel of assorted other relatives. The revolving hostess arranges to have the main dish delivered - usually from an upscale restaurant, dinner service pieces, table flowers, etc. Everyone contributes to the cost that also covers the servers, cleaner-uppers, etc. $15 ea is a really inexpensive meal for the two of us! Almost everyone brings something homemade (or sometimes purchased), or a bottle of booze, or nibbles, or who tosses in a few extra dollars for the service. My DIL is a professional cake decorator (my son is the baker - like me) so she contributes a couple gorgeous cakes that are show stoppers. Not knowing what to bring the first time, I laid out a platter of my homegrown/homemade pickled okra, maybe 150 pieces. Not one tiny speck was left! So, now it is on the hostess's list asking me to bring it every year. I feel like such a part of a welcoming family. A simple thing that makes the difference to someone. So, if you are asked/expected to bring a certain dish, you may not know how much people look forward to it....See MoreFood Floof! The untouchables.....
Comments (69)My Mom called hers Perfection Salad. Her "recipe" was of course never measure anything LOL but was about 1 cup each of finely shredded green cabbage* & finely shredded carrots*, mixed with 1 can of pineapple tidbits, well drained. She would use 2 boxes of any of the citrus jellos made with about 1/4 cup less water than the box calls for with just a pinch of sugar. Make the jello, let cool but not congeal then mix in the slaw/pineapple. She would put it all in a retangular cake pan so it was about 1" thick. Chilled well, cut into about 3" X 3" squares and served on lettuce leaves. I think she was the only one who really liked it made with lemon jello. My Dad liked lime best, but my favorite was orange. And judging by how much got brought home from church dinners I think most people agreed with me. There was usually nothing left if she used orange! *I'd just buy a bag of pre-shredded coleslaw mix & use 2 cups....See MoreFood Floof! A hard decision
Comments (29)Savory: Fried chicken (white meat and livers only), turnip greens, fried okra (slightly burnt), and fresh creamed corn. Cornbread and butter. Sweet iced tea with lots of extra lemon (would probably turn that into a John Daly after 3 days of eating the same thing! 😂) Sweet: Lemon Icebox Pie made with recipe on the Eagle Brand Condensed Milk label Snack: Cheetos (fried, of course) with a nice Pinot Noir or an iced-cold Coke Does anything give away the fact that I’m Southern? HA!...See MoreFood floof! The menu
Comments (46)We're going to my DH's ex's and her husband's house for dinner, per usual (20 years). There will be about 20 - 26 of us - all his side (mine live on the other end of the country except DS in GA). They serve a really nice turkey, but also dump -from-a-bag stuffing mix, plopped canned cranberry sauce, and their adult children will bring instant mashed potatoes, canned gravy, bag salad, "brown 'n serve" rolls and some icky baked-in-store cake with inedible frosting. The youngest grand (17) will make green bean casserole for her grandpa (because I refuse to make it, hate it) as she has been doing for 5 years! Bless her. But I do think it is the only thing she actually cooks. Her mom is big on take-out, drive-thru, and pizza delivery. The other four 20 yr-old-ish grandchildren (who I've been coaching) are bringing homemade bread, apple sauce from 4 kinds of apples, baked butternut squash with honey and sweet spices, mixed lettuces and strawberries with celery seed dressing, and from-scratch brownies. So proud of them. I like to shake things up for appetizers so I'll bring oven baked veggie egg rolls with my own Chinese-style hot mustard and apricot duck sauce, deviled egg salad in quartered potato buns, stuffed mini sweet peppers (with herbed cheese), homemade crackers with pepperoncini cream cheese dip, and everything (like on a bagel) dip to eat with mini cukes, radishes, cherry tomatoes and celery sticks, and some deli ham rolled up with Swiss cheese and a bit of spicy brown mustard for those of us who don't like turkey, plus apple slab pie with drizzle and pecan pie bars on shortbread crust. I always bring plastic bags for the family to take home "leftovers" since no one seems to remember from the last time, or they just expect me to? I also bring our own silverware because ex- hasn't figured out that it is impossible to cut turkey with plastic knives and eat with plastic forks. I also bring a couple of extra knives for whomever else has a problem. You'd think after 20 years she'd go to Goodwill and pick up some 25c silverware - maybe $15 worth. I don't say anything but DH always rolls his eyes at me. If I went to Goodwill and got some I would be ostracized for life. Bad enough that I bring a few extra pieces. I'm rolling my eyes now. I may hint to the grands that it might be a really really nice gift for their other grandma. But then again.......See More- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years agoamylou321 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNWorld of Design: Favorite Recipes From Food Lovers Around the Globe
Travel with your tastebuds and experience for yourself these international foodies' favorite dishes
Full Story
HALLOWEENFall DIY Project: Greet Trick-or-Treaters With a Dip-Dyed Basket
We found an easy trick to add a nice design touch to any storage basket just in time for Halloween visitors
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDHello, Honey: Beekeeping Anywhere for Fun, Food and Good Deeds
We need pollinators, and they increasingly need us too. Here, why and how to be a bee friend
Full Story
ENTERTAININGSimple Pleasures: The Reimagined Potluck
Party guests can bring more to the table than just the food. Enlisting help with setup, decorations and drinks spreads the work and the fun
Full Story
HEALTHY HOME12 Ways to Set Up Your Kitchen for Healthy Eating
Making smart food choices is easier when your kitchen is part of your support team
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGGuest Picks: Outdoor Eating Essentials
Food armor and other fun finds will protect your edibles from bugs and help you entertain outdoors with ease
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Minimalist Dining
Let your food shine with simple, modern serving pieces that don't compete for attention
Full Story
COLORCatch a Splash of Ocean Blue This Summer
Dip a toe into cobalt or take on turquoise at full blast for rooms that soothe, energize and feel as breezy as the beach
Full Story
GARDENING FOR BIRDSFeed the Birds: 6 Plants for Abundant Winter Berries
Be kind to your fair feathered friends during lean food times by planting a shrub or tree loaded with nutritious snacks
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNWorld of Design: Global Foodies and Their Kitchens
Join us as 11 food lovers tell us about their kitchens and give us a taste of their culinary heritage
Full StorySponsored
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations


salonva