SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Food Floof! Potluck Specialty

amylou321
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

The potluck thread inspired me. I do not partake in potluck food unless its a family affair. And even those i cook most of the food for! But i find myself contributing to quite a few of them. I will only contribute if they give my something specific. None of that, "oh just bring a side" or "just bring whatever." I think that is a recipe for disaster. Those potlucks tend to end up with 7 kinds of potato salad, 12 apple pies and no meat. That's usually not a problem, though. People always ask for one of two things: sometimes both: My Macaroni and Cheese or my Cream cheese and Olive chip dip. And NO family gathering is complete without my olive bruschetta. My two oldest nieces eat that stuff like crazy and WAIT by the oven for it to come out!
The first year I was employed at the job i work now, they asked me to bring 3 desserts. I was still a temp at the time so i broke my "no specifics" rule. My mom made her ridiculous cheesecake and apple pie bars and I made Chocolate banana pudding. I get requests for those yearly, although I usually just bring the pudding and the Mac and cheese. My mom would be thrilled to make her specialties, but the logistics to make it work are just too annoying. This year I may not even sign up to bring anything. If they ask me anyway, I will bring it, but I may not volunteer.
I send 2 huge pans of mac and cheese to my sisters' church for their monthly potluck.
I am NOT conceited by nature, but as mac and cheese is something of a southern specialty, I must say I am flattered that people request MINE. And my recipe is so basic! no weird spices or funny flavors! And i never bring any leftovers home.
What is your potluck specialty? Is it specifically requested or do you bring it because its your very best and want to share? Feel free to share recipes!

Comments (69)