Floof: Comfort Food
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (56)
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
More Food Floof! The Must-Haves....
Comments (39)I second the request for the Chocolate Bread Pudding. There's not really any "must have"s here but I miss a few things: My godmother always made lefse and dinner rolls. They were both excellent. That poor sweet lady made them every year up until maybe a year or two before she died, and she was mid-90s when she died. And making homemade yeast rolls was plenty of work for people who have ever done it the old-fashioned way, and no, she didn't use a "Kitchen-Aid"! She got weaker in her old age and less able to stand for the long time. But she knew how popular they were and she always wanted to do it. And most of the time until her latter years, she'd walk to the grocery store (I'd guess maybe 1/2 mile away!) What a trooper! RIP my dear, you're missed in SO many ways! Making lefse is not easy either, especially by yourself! In the later years she couldn't roll it as thin as she used to but still gave it her best shot and it still was a treat. I've made lefse a few times. Should give it a try again but my limitations probably would affect it. And I can buy decent stuff from a couple places so I can still have a memory and a treat. Also my cousin used to (probably still does) make excellent iced sugar cookies. But the local "produce" store makes some that are pretty much identical so that fix is taken care of and even Lofthouse cookies are an adequate substitute. As far as other dishes, I can be pretty flexible but I have, in the past few years, been making a BBQ bacon ranch corn that I really enjoy and I'm getting back to really enjoying turkey again so I usually get a smoked turkey breast. Probably 20-30 years ago I started my own semi-tradition of having a "themed" holiday. Guess I got a little tired of the always-turkey or always-ham meals. One year it could be "comfort" foods, another "Italian", another was "diner" food, etc. And I always tried to add a new dish that I wanted to try that I hadn't made before. Keep some staples in there in case it didn't turn out. But it became quite popular with guests. And when the GFs didn't have to cook they always appreciated it no matter what I made! Could be 99¢ TV dinners and they probably wouldn't complain... too much. Uh, strike that. Yeah, they could complain. :)...See MoreFloof: Sick food
Comments (41)I think that I've told this story before but it fits the subject matter so.....my mother used to feed us Jello in every form when we were sick. Chickenpox, measles, mumps, Lake Erie earaches, tonsillitis, you name it. Mother hovered with hot Jello, warm Jello, Jello poured over ice chips, Jello made with ginger ale. An understandable consequence of this sick bed menu is that I H.A.T.E congealed anything now, no matter what it is. So what do I do when my little Sprites are sick with whatever is making the rounds? Hot Jello, warm Jello, Jello poured over ice chips, and Jello made with ginger ale! 😁...See MoreFood floof! Snapshot!
Comments (49)Plllog, I think your comment about grits being served at any meal in the South is absolutely accurate, at least in my experience. I commented that we served Gruyere Grits to our Chinese guests as a side dish for filet mignon. I also listed Shrimp and Grits as a dish that I would serve as representative of my region. Just this morning, I was thinking that I needed to make up a batch of Gruyere Grits to freeze in meal size portions. P, your comment about salad on a burger reminded me of our trip to Australia. On a couple of occasions DH or DD ordered a burger. It was listed as coming with salad. We expected a small side salad. We finally learned that “salad” meant lettuce on the burger. I regret that we never chose to have a slice of beet on our burger. When we returned, a woman who worked for me who was married to an Aussie told me that it was pretty classic. I also agree with Outside Playing, that grits are not served every day at breakfast in the South. My momma never served them, but my daddy would eat them every chance he got. Nevertheless, I would say that grits are often served at breakfast in the south, see pic below of instant grits in individual packets. Just for fun, I googled “Southern Living grits.” Boy, are there lots of ways to cook grits! I’m not sure, but I think grits became less regional when Jimmy Carter went into the White House. I have a vague recollection of people trying to figure out the singular of grits. Annie, my mom must have been kin to your grandpa. She thought the finest breakfast was a piece of chocolate pie! I just looked up “peameal bacon.” I found it is what the North American Meat Institute calls “Canadian bacon.” I’ve had plenty of Canadian bacon, except I’ve never seen Canadian bacon rolled in cornmeal. Interesting. Thanks for sending me on the quest to figure it out! Elmer, bless you little trollish heart, you’re just not happy until you’ve insulted someone, are you?...See MoreFood Floof! Its cold outside.....
Comments (51)My name is BB and I’m a soupaholic. I love almost all soups. When I was little, I wanted Campbell’s Alphabet Soup for breakfast every morning. I braised a sirloin roast this weekend. It will be made into Vegetable Soup, which is really more stew-like when I make it. I don’t have a recipe; I have a template: some sort of meat, preferable leftover roast and gravy, a couple of cans of tomatoes, vegetables (fresh, frozen, or mustgo), and mirepoix cooked for a couple of hours. Thirty minutes or so before serving, add corn kernels (frozen, or canned) and baby lima beans (frozen). Serve with hot cornbread (no sugar!!) I also made a recipe that is call The Best Slow Cooker Beef Stew. I compared recipes. It is basically, Julia Child’s Boeuf Bourguignon but made in a crockpot. The recipe calls for thickening the stew with a cornstarch slurry. I thickened it with beurre manie. It was so easy. I dislike the mouth-feel of things thickened with cornstarch. I also make: Seafood Gumbo. The base w/o shrimp or other seafood can be made ahead and frozen. When heating up the base, add the seafood toward the end so that it is barely cooked. @Lars, mine takes HOURS to make when done properly, but over the years, I’ve developed a bastardized version using Tony Cachere’s Roux Mix, frozen seasoning blend, and a quick shrimp stock made with shrimp shells, celery trimmings, and onion peels. I supplement it with clam juice, if necessary. Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Alton Brown’s Cheddar Cheese Soup Chicken Taco Soup Kale and Quinoa Minestrone Robert St. John’s Mushroom Bechamel Sauce, which is just a really good mushroom soup. @Zalco/bring back Sophie!, Dorie Greenspan has a delicious Mediterranean Shepherd’s Pie https://foodschmooze.org/recipe/dorie-greenspans-mediterranean-shepherds-pie/. Full disclosure, I dial back the heat a lot. I also substitue spinach for the kale....See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

SMALL SPACESCottages: The Comfort Food of Architecture
Soul satisfying and as snug as a favorite sweater, a cottage knows how to roll out the welcome mat
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNDeliciously Simple: Food Photographer Warms Up a Rental Kitchen
See how a San Francisco cook and blogger makes her small kitchen shine
Full Story
PETSKibble Time! Clever Cubbies and Drawers for Your Pet Food Station
See the many ways you can incorporate a food and water station for animals in your kitchen, laundry room or mudroom
Full Story
DINING ROOMSHow to Seat Your Dinner Guests in Comfort
Instead of reaching for pillows and footstools when you dine, settle in with dining tables and chairs that fit the room and body
Full Story
MOST POPULAR6 Kitchen Flooring Materials to Boost Your Cooking Comfort
Give your joints a break while you're standing at the stove, with these resilient and beautiful materials for kitchen floors
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESRoom of the Day: Adding Comfort and Style to a New Jersey Family Room
Layers of natural textures and pops of color help create a welcoming and cozy space for a couple and their baby
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKick Back in Comfort in Your Own Kitchen Lounge
Keep the cook company or just relax solo in a kitchen hangout with all the comforts of a lounge
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDMy Houzz: Cliffside Home Designed for Comfort and Rejuvenation
A newly built home overlooking Australia’s Springbrook National Park is a dreamy nature retreat for a creative couple
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGN9 Backyard Updates That Will Improve Your Outdoor Comfort
Consider comfortable seating, lighting, patios and play areas to make your yard a place where you want to spend time
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNEasy-Living Features That Add Comfort to Your Kitchen
Remodeling? You can make your kitchen a far more pleasurable place to be
Full Story


wildchild2x2