Floof: Sick food
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (41)
Related Discussions
Food Floof! Unpopular Opinions!
Comments (98)nicole & signet, my nephew's wife also hates the smell of coffee. yeonassky, pineapple pizza is a healthy combo. See: https://www.humnutrition.com/blog/bromelain/ ------------------------- amylou, I'm a complete paradox in that I love the smell of Citrus spray, but my system can't tolerate acidic foods. On the other hand, Sweet spray such as lavender, makes me nauseous & headachy, but yet I always need to sweeten foods to make them tolerable to my acidic system. ------------------------- Like you, I, too, never liked maple syrup (but do like mild molasses which is healthy). As i mentioned in another houzz post (but which probably confused everyone) is that the reason some subsets of people may like a grouping of foods other than the preferences of another subset of people, may be: Their being a supertaster vs. non-taster vs. medium-taster as per Dr.Bartoshuk's research Their having high blood sugar. My oldest sister has been diabetic for a long time, and she liked maple-sugar candies which i myself thought were nauseatingly sweet. My own system is too acidic and i have acid saliva. So i speculate that people with higher blood-sugar thrive on foods which are more extreme, whereas i myself do not. For example: I speculate that diabetics' "sweet saliva" causes them to like bitter chocolate, because their sweet saliva compensates and causes it to be "semi-sweet" (rather than too bitter). I think that diabetics' "sweet saliva" causes very-salty foods to taste "sweet and salty" (rather than overly salty) I think that diabetics' sweet-saliva causes sour foods to taste sweet 'n sour, which might explain why they might consider actual "sweet and sour" meals to be "blah". It's also why they may enjoy very spicy foods. Don't get me wrong. There are grey areas. For example, although i abhor very-bitter chocolate, yet I love burnt veggies, burnt potato chips, and burnt toast. The latter might taste too bitter to many people, yet i love it, even though i'm for the most part a supertaster. I think my 2nd sister may be a medium taster, because she likes very rich chocolate, and she does have slightly high blood sugar. I don't think any researchers ever explored the possible correlation between being a supertaster and blood-sugar status. For example, perhaps a Non-taster may be more predisposed to develop high blood sugar, because they need to "pile on the sugar" in order to taste anything?...See MoreFood floof! Love required....
Comments (37)Quite often, actually....altho it does work both ways, LOL. I'd eat pork 5 days out of 7 if I could, whereas he can take it or leave unless it's bacon or chile verde! He loves seafood whereas I can take it or leave it, and usually I leave it. There's only a couple of fish I still eat, which is weird because until I was over 40 I loved fish and shellfish. Fortunately we both love lamb, goat, beef/bison, venison, liver, chicken, duck, and most offal. The one dish I make for family parties is a special sushi I created years ago. Nobody else wants to make it, although my niece knows how. Nothing is really hard but it takes multiple steps over several days. Since the 'younger generation' is still working full-time jobs and I'm retired, I have the time to make it. It's ironic that I don't care for sushi OR sashimi - when I was growing up they were strictly picnic foods, like hot dogs and macaroni salad. I had never considered them anything special, and when the sushi craze started, I was amazed that people PAID MONEY to eat a rice ball pressed in somebody's hand. I kid my spouse all the time, because he never had sushi or sashimi growing up in Hong Kong, or even when he came to the US. It wasn't until we got married he tried them, and immediately fell in love with both! My MIL half-jokingly blamed me for his changing tastes - she loved sushi rolls, but only with the cooked shrimp and avocado slices. Raw fish made her shudder!...See MoreFood floof! Favorites!
Comments (36)If it were up to me I'd dine out 6 days a week, LOL; but since Spouse enjoys my cooking, my mainstays are dishes we don't eat at restaurants: Omelettes or scrambled eggs, because I LOATHE crispy brown spots on my eggs. Custard French toast: challah sliced at least 1-inch thick, soaked for several hours in custard, and sauteed to a light golden brown crust with creamy interior. Filet Mignon, as we both love beef. He prefers rib-eye but dislikes the fatty parts, meaning there's too much waste IMHO. Filets are easier, plus leftovers make great steak 'n' eggs, or Vietnamese Bun Bo Xao/Beef Rice Noodle Salad (great in hot weather). Oven-fried chicken cutlets Roast chicken: I've settled on the Rosie's brand as our preference. And our cat loves the tidbits of chicken breast he gets every time! Burgers/Meatballs: I use a mix of 50/50 ground bison and 85% fat ground beef. I prefer burgers, he prefers meatballs. Chile Verde Pork There are other dishes I make, but those are for occasional/change of pace/didn't get to the grocery store this week ;)...See MoreFestive Food Floof! New Years!
Comments (62)Yeonassky, yes, of course I'll share. I'm sorry, I just now got back to this and noticed you'd asked. Bear with me, its lengthy and help me pray I have no typos 😊 Marcella Rosene Lasagna (Pasta and Co) SAUCE 1 1/2 # lean ground beef 1/4 C pure olive oil 1 1/2 C coarsely chopped onions 1 heaping Tablespoon oregano 1 1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic 1 1/2 teaspoons basil 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon black pepper 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes 1 Cup plus 3 tablespoons dry white wine 3 1/4 cups crushed tomatoes in puree (Paradise brand if available). There will be a couple of ounces left in the 28-oz can, save and use in assembling the lasagna 5 ounces frozen spinach (half a 10 oz box, keep the other half frozen for another use. Squeeze what you will use dry of all liquid CHEESE 3 cups mozzarella, grated 1/2 Cup feta, crumbled BECHAMEL 1 1/2 C milk 1 Cup cream big pinch white pepper big pinch thyme big pinch nutmeg big pinch basil 3 tablespoons butter 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese 3 tablespoons grated romano cheese THEN Uncooked fresh only lasagna noodles,enough for three layers in 9x13 pan TOPPING 1/4 cup unseasoned bread crumbs 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese 1 teaspoon very finely chopped parsley Cook beef in saute pan over medium heat until pink gone. Remove from heat and drain of all fat. (make sure it is well crumbled). In same pan, heat olive oil and add onions, oregano, garlic, basil, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes. Cook until onions are translucent. Add wine, bring to a boil, cook about 10 min until alcohol taste evaporated. Stir in tomatoes, spinach, your reserved browned beef. Simmer a couple of minutes then remove from heat. Mix together mozzarella and feta cheeses and set aside. Make bechamel: Heat milk,cream, white pepper, thyme, nutmeg, basil in small saucepan until it nears a boil. Turn off heat. Melt butter in medium pan, cook until foam from butter recedes, remove from heat, add flour and mix well. Return to medium low heat and stirring frequently, simmer 2-3 minutes to cook but not brown the flour. Gradually stir in hot milk/cream mix, raise heat a little and continue to stir until mixture is smooth and thick (5 minutes?). Add Parmesan and Romano and whisk until smooth. Should be texture of wallpaper paste, not the white sauce more often associated with bechamel. Mix together and reserve your topping ingredients. ASSEMBLE AND BAKE (or, as they do at the deli often, assemble, wrap and freeze to bake later) Preheat oven to 400F. Spread 2 tablespoons of leftover tomato juices from your can on bottom of 9x13 baking dish. Lay in one layer of the uncooked lasagna noodles. Spoon on 3 cups meat sauce. Spread 1 Cup Bechamel across the meat sauce in two diagonals (no need to spread evenly at this point). Top with two cups cheese mixture. Lay on another layer of lasagna noodles and repeat, using same amounts of sauce - be sure to get in every dab of the meat sauce( as there will be none to spare) bechamel, cheese. Top with last layer of noodles, and with fingertips, press lightly to distribute bechamel smoothly in the layers. Using a long metal spatula 'frost' top layer of noodles with remaining bechamel. Be sure to completely cover noodles so they do not dry out in oven. Sprinkle evenly with reserved bread crumb mix. Bake 400F for approx 60 minutes until sauce bubbles around edges and top is lightly browned. If browning too quickly, cover with foil last 10 minutes. If baking this assembled straight from your freezer, add about 20 minutes baking time. Critical for ease in serving.....Let Stand 20 Minutes Before Serving I hope you enjoy this as much as we do, and again, I am not especially a fan of lasagna other than this one 😁...See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

LIFE10 Feel-Better Things to Do on a Sick Day at Home
Nourish, pamper and heal yourself when a cold keeps you housebound, with these restorative ideas
Full Story
GARDENING FOR BUTTERFLIESGardening for the Bees, and Why It’s a Good Thing
When you discover how hard bees work for our food supply, you may never garden without them in mind again
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGYour Guide to a Sparkling Clean Kitchen
Tackle food messes with this comprehensive collection of targeted and tested cleaning methods
Full Story
HOME TECHTo Feed and Protect: Care for Your Pet From Afar With New Devices
You might miss the nuzzles, but your dog or cat won't miss food, water or monitoring with these high-tech feeders and cameras
Full Story
FARMHOUSESWorld of Design: See How 9 Families Live and Farm on Their Land
Join us as we visit the homes and farms of passionate food producers and hear about rural life around the globe
Full Story
GREEN BUILDINGThe Big Freeze: Inventors Break New Ground to Keep Things Cool
Old-fashioned fridges can be energy guzzlers, but there are more eco-friendly ways of keeping food fresh, as these global innovations show
Full Story
LIFEHow to Prepare for and Live With a Power Outage
When electricity loss puts food, water and heat in jeopardy, don't be in the dark about how to stay as safe and comfortable as possible
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN11 Ways to Wake Up a Walk-in Pantry
Give everyday food storage some out-of-the-ordinary personality with charismatic color or other inspiring details
Full Story
HEALTHY HOME12 Ways to Set Up Your Kitchen for Healthy Eating
Making smart food choices is easier when your kitchen is part of your support team
Full Story
FUN HOUZZ10 Truly Irritating Things Your Partner Does in the Kitchen
Dirty dishes, food scraps in the sink — will the madness ever stop?
Full StorySponsored
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7