SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Food Floof! Unpopular Opinions!

amylou321
3 years ago

I have opinions when it comes to food, as does everyone.

Do you have opinions about food that get you astonished stares, gapes, or even (the worst) people trying to convince you that said opinion is WRONG?!?!?! I don't mean the one odd person who doesn't agree, I mean ALL the time. I guess I am asking for your food views that make you the odd man (or lady) out. Hence the title: Unpopular Opinions. Here are some of mine:

Cheesecake is weird. I dislike it intensely and don't get the craze about it.

Pancake Syrup is 100% preferable to real Maple Syrup. Hands down.

Lobster is vile.

Go ahead, drag me. I can take it. My mind is unchangeable when it comes to this.

But first, what are yours?

Comments (98)

• aok27502
    3 years ago

Oh, I've been reminded of another one. Bleu cheese, feta and all their nasty cousins. I work hard to avoid eating mold, will not do it on purpose.

amylou321 thanked aok27502
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    3 years ago

Things I don't like sea food except fried fish or baked, not salmon, only the canned. I don't like olive oil, but do like olives. I like ketchup on a lot of things, not necessary on steak, I don't like steak sauce, I hate coffee and cilantro, no avocado either, no alcohol, not even in cooking. No savory pumpkin or winter squash for me either, pie and breads are good. Sweet potatoes, baked with butter or with brown sugar in candied, or a sweet casserole. I think I like most all vegetables other than any I have mentioned. No hot peppers though. No pistachios. I like mayo and Miracle Whip and pancake syrup and maple syrup. I like chicken and noodles on mashed potatoes!

Sue

amylou321 thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • Related Discussions

Just for fun....Unpopular Opinions

Q

Comments (151)
    Popular likes that I dislike: Tea, coffee, beer, wine or most any other alcoholic beverage. A pina colada is fine every now and then. : ) Fox news and MSNBC news The small yippy-yappy dogs that people carry around in purses. I just want to do a Jay Leno and say "shuddup!" Golf. A good walk spoiled. Garlic and onions. Might use a little salt of both but not the real deal. Nasty stuff! Same goes for green peppers. I have a really strong sense of smell so maybe that's why I abhor them. MacDonald's. Why or why do they persist. I suspect I could get better food out of a dumpster. American Idol. Too scripted and predictable Children that talk as if they are adults. Go play and be a kid. There's time enough to be an adult. The new definitions of cottage and cottage gardens. These have been spun into something unrecognizable. What next, cactus cottage? : 0 Christmas. There, I've said it. Throw your poinsettias. : )
    ...See More

Floof! Do you "cart judge?"

Q

Comments (77)
    years ago i fed my 3 great danes a raw diet which consisted of a LOT of chicken. i always watched for leg quarters to go on sale and when they did, i'd buy a cartful. i also had the grocery store butcher get me 40# boxes of turkey necks every few weeks. i often had people make the comment, "wow, you must really love chicken". i'd smile and say yes and leave it at that. one time, the person behind me was making a big deal about all of the chicken in my cart. it was very annoying and i wasn't about to tell her it was dog food. the cashier, however, saved me the trouble of explaining when she said (loud enough for everyone around me to hear) "oh, she doesn't eat that all herself, she feeds it to her dogs". i was mortified to think there could have been someone within hearing distance that might be struggling to feed their family and there i was, buying 100# of chicken for my DOGS.
    ...See More

Floof-ish! On houseguests......

Q

Comments (69)
    Yes, well they all have strong opinions on relationships and such. For some reason, they feel like a legal agreement (that MUST take place in a religious building surrounded by tedious ceremony) somehow makes a romantic partnership somehow morally superior to those that do not have that legal agreement. I am not burdened by that. Nor do I judge their choice to have that ceremony. If it makes them feel better, I am happy for them. (one of my brothers is on his third wife. He never says anything to me about my choices.) But, most of them leave me alone. That one sister is an Uber Bible thumper who thinks I am just wallowing in a den of debauchery because I am not married, living with a man of another race, do not want children, and do not go to church,not even on Easter or Christmas. I love her but as I said, she has issues and I do not like to spend a ton of time around her. And I dont want her staying in my house.
    ...See More

Floof………nonsense that bothers you

Q

Comments (119)
    chisu, I forget that radio still exists with commercials. NPR is the only thing that I have tuned in for in several decades. I am always surprised when I might hear someones radio on a commercial station from a car parked beside me. I mean no disprespect for your listening choices, it is just that it always surprises me that it even still exists. I also never watch the old networks on the tv, either. As soon as I figure out how to keep getting the couple of things that I do engage with, I plan to cut that dammed cable cord. That is our single biggest monthy expense and neither of us watches anything but national news and streaming. Actually, I rarely ever even listen to NPR anymore, either. I like quiet and dont even keep the talking heads on the tv screen anymore. I cant bear the continuous pharmacutical commercials. Then the news of this nasty world comes on with serious impact to our very lives and our existence and we are hit with an ad for something so darned trivial that it makes my head spin. Really? from world devastation, fire, plague, trump and suddently I am not using the right fabric softener? Really? the right laundry product? Did you not just hear what is happening in the world? Now the advertiser expects to impact my buying and make me think about my what my laundry smells like? My eyes and my mind are crying in angst for our world!!!!!! It makes me sick to my soul and I prefer silence as I can do nothing about any of it.
    ...See More
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

The opinions of most Texans that if you add beans to Chile it can no longer be called Chile. In my opinion if you don't add beans then it is just seasoned meat and tomatoes.

amylou321 thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • cloudy_christine
    3 years ago

Oh, why am I reading this first thing in the morning... Okra! Raw oysters! I ate a raw oyster once, Unfortunately it was at a wedding reception and I couldn't spit it out. Shudder.

Peanut butter is disgusting. Beets taste like dirt.

amylou321 thanked cloudy_christine
  • arkansas girl
    3 years ago

This is all very interesting! I'm from Texas and would consider myself a Texan really, we always had beans in our Chili. Being from a family that had to stretch the dollar, beans were way cheaper than ground beef!

I'm not a very picky eater but I am not a big fan of turkey, so at Thanksgiving, my husband and I grill steaks and have baked potatoes and a salad for our big fancy meal.

amylou321 thanked arkansas girl
  • marilyn_c
    3 years ago

I don't like sweet potatoes, beets, overcooked anything, but especially beef. Milk tastes nasty....but I cook with it. Don't like pumpkin, can't understand why people love mac n cheese....I can eat it, but not a fan. Same thing about pasta salads. I don't like salmon or swordfish. I only like fine grained, white, very mild tasting fish. Kale except a little in Zuppa Toscana. Pork rinds....gives me the creeps. Mangos and apricots. A lot of things I'm not crazy about, but I can eat them if I have to....or at least a few bites and re-arrange them on my plate.

amylou321 thanked marilyn_c
  • ci_lantro
    3 years ago

In descending order: Whiskey/bourbon/Scotch, sheep meat, brussel sprouts/ kale.

Among my most favorites are the oft mentioned disgusted ones--sweet potatoes, asparagus, okra, avocados/ guac, olives... I will eat a cold, baked sweet potato straight out the refrigerator, skin & all for breakfast. Asparagus, too.

amylou321 thanked ci_lantro
  • twoyur
    3 years ago

adding Lima beans to list

as well as cooked broccoli and cooked cauliflower I do like both raw.

While i am not nuts about salt or fish I do love anchovies

amylou321 thanked twoyur
  • jupidupi
    3 years ago

I don't like any kind of meat that's been chewed up and then stuck back together. That especially includes meatloaf and meatballs.

amylou321 thanked jupidupi
  • nicole___
    3 years ago

I once ate my MIL's Thanksgiving stuffing, with sandy-dirty-gritty oysters. Yuck! Followed by pearl onions in white sauce. Yuck! Green bean casserole. Organ meats. Pickled pigs feet. I like "my" meatballs, but won't eat ones served elsewhere. Salted anchovies. Sushi. All yuck. Store bought pie crusts. Cherry pie filling in a can. Mince meat. Fruit cake. Coffee. But, I like coffee ice cream. ☺

amylou321 thanked nicole___
  • eandhl2
    3 years ago

I do not like dark chocolate but know it is healthy so i get my dark chocolate by eating a peppermint patty. That's my story & i am sticking to it.

amylou321 thanked eandhl2
  • moosemac
    3 years ago

I don't like desserts. Sweet baked goods tend to make me nauseous. As a child, I dreaded being invited to birthday parties where well meaning mothers forced me to eat cake and ice cream. I vomited everytime. I can eat less sweet baked goods in small quantities but am not a fan. My aversion to sugar also extends to fruits. In general, I am not a huge fan. I do like a little sweetness in savory dishes for example pork and apples pair well.

amylou321 thanked moosemac
  • blfenton
    3 years ago

lindac92 I agree with everything you stated. I will google casseroles without canned soup. If the recipe calls for a flavour pac I google the ingredients and make my own.

I detest mushrooms, there I said it. They're slimy yecchy tasting things.

amylou321 thanked blfenton
  • Jasdip
    3 years ago

I don't like desserts; except my apple pie. Desserts as a whole are just too sweet. I despise icing.

Texas chili......I don't care for chili as I don't like kidney beans. Hubby lived in TX and NC for several years and he made me a Texas chili sans beans once and I loved it!! He always made me a batch of TX chili when he made himself regular chili. It's quite spicy though and I can only eat it over rice with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.

amylou321 thanked Jasdip
  • Rusty
    3 years ago

I despise cilantro! It tastes exactly like a barnyard smells!

Also have an intense dislike for hot dogs, bologna, and yellow mustard. Don't particularly like 'store bought' white bread, either. But love a good home made white bread.

I don't think I am a picky eater, I actually love many of the foods most of you dislike, especially vegetables. Unless they are over cooked.

I am in South Texas, been here since 1963, and have never (that I can remember) been offered any chili without beans in it, pinto beans. The chili my mother made when I was growing up had kidney beans in it, the difference in opposite ends of the country.

Rusty

amylou321 thanked Rusty
  • marilyn_c
    3 years ago

Jasdip, beans have no place in chili. I can't imagine a real Texas chili having beans in it. Same goes for sugar in cornbread.

amylou321 thanked marilyn_c
  • woodrose
    3 years ago

Coffee, eggplant, cilantro, okra, avocados, green olives, banana bread, zucchini bread (love bananas and zucchini, just can't stand the bread), radishes, anything with cream-of-something soup in it, Nutella, and mayo. Also, I can't stand PB&J sandwiches. I hate any kind of alcohol, and I don't understand how anyone could drink the vile stuff .

amylou321 thanked woodrose
  • John Liu
    3 years ago

Here is the list of foods I don’t like, at all:

EGGPLANT

KIMCHEE

FISH BRAINS and EYEBALLS

GIANT CHUNKS OF GINGER

Outside of Chinese family meals when I was a little kid, only the first two are relevant - thank goodness

amylou321 thanked John Liu
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

marilyn_c

beans have no place in TEXAS chili.

The rest of the world adds beans! ;-)

amylou321 thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • User
    3 years ago

Sushi.

Can't do it, no one can make me.

During my college days (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) I worked in a pet store. I spent way too much time scooping dead fish out of fish tanks.

Are you aware dead fish can turn FUZZY if they float in the water for too long?

It's all I can think of when I see sushi. Dead, smelly, fuzzy floating fish.

I would eat grass before I could ever try sushi. Sorry, the mental association is just way too vivid for me.

amylou321 thanked User
  • lily316
    3 years ago

I love every kind of seafood: there is none I wouldn't eat with gusto. I have not had red meat in 40 years and the smell of it cooking gags me. Luckily no one in my family ever eats meat either. I love multi-grain organic bread but hate white bread. Ironically as a kid, I begged my mother for Wonder bread since all she bought was Italian bread. I love all vegetables except lima beans and beans of any kind, but I like peas and green beans. I am not fond of kale or cilantro. As a kid, I hated Brussels sprouts but now love them grilled in the oven or grill.

amylou321 thanked lily316
  • signet_gw(6b)
    3 years ago

saw this post and had to join in . I have no desire to try sushi, raw fish doesn't interest me in the least. I also hate ( with a passion) avocados and guacamole ( green goo) . I have been known to try hummus and take a spoon to scrape it off my tongue ..YUCK ! chick peas do nothing for me neither do brussel sprouts , oysters or anything like that in a can. Taco Bell ,,,been there once will never return . Taco's tasted like the Alpo dog food smells. I don't like anything smoked, might as well sit the meat in the ashes in the fireplace. I don't like casseroles done using soup in a can and what is with all those casseroles using potato nuggets or whatever they are called.

I do love cheesecake, a steak done to medium rare or even blue and French onion soup., I don't want pineapple on my pizza or bacon for that matter. I love just about any cheese but Olives could drop off the face of the earth and I sure wouldn't miss them . Oh and I love shrimp, lobster and most white fish.

One last thing I hate hate hate the smell of coffee Go into a coffee shop like Tim Horton's and the smell just about knocks you out. Gross ! I definitely don't drink it .

amylou321 thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • dedtired
    3 years ago

Sushi, pickles, most Asian food. If the deli puts a pickle in with my sandwich, I can barely eat the sandwich. I try to remember to tell them NO PICKLE.

amylou321 thanked dedtired
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

Only cilantro comes to mind as a popular foodstuff I cannot tolerate. I am not fond of curries either.

amylou321 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    3 years ago

I thought Texas chili was finely cubed beef, no beans or tomatoes. I watched a Texas chili contest at some point. PBS maybe. They had more promotional patches than Nascar on their outfits. They did have a sidelined category of 'everything else'...vegetarian, etc. That category did not get much attention.

Best to just let them have their opinions and call it 'Texas'.

I'm with the rest of the world. Lots of minced veg, beans. I do like a small diced beef over ground. A bit of masa and dark chocolate to finish. Always tomato. Sometimes a bit of diced chicken. It really is hard to call it anything else but 'chili' with the spice blend/flavors.

amylou321 thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I was a strict vegetarian for about 30 years and a mostly vegetarian ever since, so now going on 42 yrs. If you want to discover the wonderful world of other people's food issues, try eschewing meat or just stating you are a vegetarian. Of course we all know that stereotype of the boorish vegetarian or gluten free person who tries to convince everyone that their way of eating is the best, but how about the incessant opposite, you just casually mention you're a vegetarian and some people get triggered and try to convince you that you are wrong. Hey, I'm not challenging your choices, just let me be me and you do you!

Tofu and lentils rock! Despite having to hear all the put downs from other people regarding those foods being nasty, that I like. Depends on how you cook them, but hey, I get why someone might not like them, but I love them. Also tired to the put down about my fake sausages from hubs.

I can't seem to like buckwheat or quinoa. I like the idea of them, they are very nutritious. I can tolerate them, but eating both products is like penance for me. But most people don't like those foods, so this is not something that other people try to convince me I should eat. Hubs eats quinoa and used to rib me about not liking it, but I finally discovered that he doesn't like it either, just downs it for the nutritional benefits. He likes buckwheat pancakes, I don't.

Speaking of pancakes, I am very picky about my pancakes. I like them, but only with very specific textures . . . others taste like cotton or cardboard to me . . . Not really much of a social burden, but hubs likes a pancake breakfast on Saturdays and is often frustrated by my pancake pickiness. I am the same way with waffles. If I am going to splurge on the carbs I want them to be perfect, to my exacting standards! I am also prone to burning them when I cook them, but getting them perfectly done in the middle is difficult, IMHO.

amylou321 thanked l pinkmountain
  • User
    3 years ago

As a fellow vegetarian Ipink....I know exactly what you're talking about. :) Some people seem to take it as a personal affront or something.

amylou321 thanked User
  • PRO
    User
    3 years ago

I love it all! And cook/prepare most of it, including sushi and kimchi. And it shows. 😬.

OK, I remembered two things that I don’t care for: balut and durian. But probably most people wouldn’t care for them, so that’s not unusual.

I will try anything once. I don’t have to repeat it if I don’t care for it.

amylou321 thanked User
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

I don't care for anything that is very sweet or very rich. So no cheesecake, pecan pie or fudge. In fact, I can pretty much skip chocolate altogether most of the time. And while I will sometimes cook using maple syrup, I do not want it anywhere near my pancakes or waffles. I really dislike soggy bread products so that also rules out bread puddings. A sorry excuse for a dessert in my book!!

I adore seafood of all types and although raw oysters are not on the top of my list, I can handle them. Same with sushi....specially if it comes with plenty of wasabi :-)

But no tapioca, no caviar, no okra. Both a textural and taste thing.

amylou321 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • artemis_ma
    3 years ago

I really don't NEED to eat dessert. No I am NOT being "good" about declining most of it - I really really don't care for most desserts. Sugar is an over-rated condiment.

No, I've had chicken and turkey breast a gazillion different ways - dark meat is still far tastier, and please please please don't pick up a breast-only turkey for Thanksgiving and expect me to thank you for it. I won't. Don't tell me after 66 years of living that I just haven't had it cooked "right".

We can usually except liver from this, but overall, the best cuts on a cow are the offal. I will choose tongue, sweetbreads, kidneys or heart first.

Yes, I am not a vegetarian, but I really do like tempeh.

Cottage cheese reminds me of Milk Gone Bad. Those curds.

The stench of hazelnut makes me want to toss my cookies. So does the taste.

Dried fruit is generally a no go. No dried raisins, figs, dates, or any of those gummy-textured things. I like dried tomatoes, but they don't have that overwhelming sweetness nor gumminess.

So many people these days overdo the salt.

amylou321 thanked artemis_ma
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Add Asian flavors to my list. Everyone everywhere seems to think its a good idea to add Asian flavors to everything. I know its trendy and a lot of people love it, but not me. I saw Bobby Flay make a "Korean" style meatloaf. Nope. I had an aunt who lived for several years in Thailand, and she had the habit of adding fish sauce to everything. I do not want sesame oil on my tacos, kimchi in my meatloaf, soy sauce on my grilled chicken, lemongrass in my soup. I don't want some sort of oddly flavored fermented, acrid "Asian" slaw on my cheeseburger.

Ill be glad when the trend goes away.

• agmss15
    3 years ago

Amylou - we will have to agree to disagree. I grew up with hippie food (although my mom was a better cook than most) and tiny jars of mystery condiments from one of the few Asian supermarkets in Maine. I love all those funky umami flavors. They can dress up anything. 😉

Today I visited my mom and her partner. He made peanut sauce and bacon sandwiches. Which I liked better than I thought I would.

amylou321 thanked agmss15
  • bpath
    3 years ago

Pink,:on the other hand, you don’t want to try to prepare a vegetarian meal for an omnivore who is, in fact, a carnivore! “Is there meat in this? I need MEAT.” Ugh, and now, 10 years later, the same carnivore is doing the cooking and shopping and looking at prices and telling me “we don’t have to have meat every meal.” Sheesh. No, we don’t. Who are you, and what have you done with my DH?

amylou321 thanked bpath
  • arkansas girl
    3 years ago

Rusty reminded me, the beans we use(in chili) in Texas are Pinto beans, not Kidney beans. I didn't have kidney beans in chili until I moved to Ohio!

I also remembered that I hate Italian seasonings like Oregano and Fennel...GAG! I was so disappointed when I ate Italian sausage for the first time after having scrumptious sausage homemade and home smoked by my Czech Uncles! It doesn't get any better than that!

amylou321 thanked arkansas girl
  • aok27502
    3 years ago

Pink, of course you still eat chicken, right? That's not meat.

Yes, Mom, chicken is meat, so is fish.🙄 I had a veg friend who said she wouldn't eat anything that was born with eyeballs.

And I agree on tofu and lentils. I can cook lentils and eat them straight from the pot.

amylou321 thanked aok27502
  • colleenoz
    3 years ago

Tofu isn’t on my top 10,000 things I like to eat, but I can choke small bits of it down. I can only eat eggplant in baba ganoush. Fresh, raw tomatoes, yuck! Only in bruschetta or _thinly_ sliced with lots of other salad on a sandwich. And I won’t eat cucumbers even to be polite. And about every 10 years I try an oyster, and conclude that I still don’t like them.

amylou321 thanked colleenoz
  • neely
    3 years ago

I have a somewhat chequered history with coriander. Around 1990 the bakery near our office started making ham and salad rolls with the addition of coriander. There was an uprising in the street...no...we office workers would not have it... and I hated it.

Come the mid 90’s with the proliferation of Thai restaurants, I came to accept it.

I remember there was an odd soapiness to it way back but sometime ago that left me and now I really like coriander. Not in European dishes but in of course Asian food (but not Chinese) Mexican and the peculiar food known as Modern Australian.

amylou321 thanked neely
  • liira55
    3 years ago

Milk. I can’t even watch someone drink a glass of milk, it makes me want to throw up. Sunny side up eggs or any runny yolk. When I was a waitress, I would have to get someone else deliver these items to customers if they ordered them. I have never eaten Kraft dinner either and have no desire to ever try it.

amylou321 thanked liira55
  • graywings123
    3 years ago

I can't think of any food that I don't like if it is prepared well.

amylou321 thanked graywings123
  • l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

Bpath you hit the nail on the head. Hubs claims to be an omnivore, but in his heart of hearts he is a carnivore. He started out singing the praises of vegetarian food but eventually the snark came out. Lentils and tofu and fake sausage are his favorite topics. I once got on his case for the tofu remarks, and he said it wasn't rude because tofu wasn't a "normal" food. Well that's a case in point of a food floof. I'll bet there are a billion Asians and quite a few vegetarians who might disagree with hubs. Again, I'm not trying to convince someone to like tofu, but let me enjoy it in peace please!

Not to digress from the OT, but hubs is gone visiting family right now, and I'm no longer under any pressure to cook meat every day, and no one is snarking at my vegetarian food choices, and I am enjoying the peaceful meal times. I am still cooking and eating meat for and with my Dad sometimes. Chicken barley soup on the roster for tonight. When hubs is here, if I go too long without serving a meat dish, hubs starts to get cravings I guess, he gets grumpy . . . He makes vegetarian food for me, and I often eat a meatless version of dinner, but still, sometimes it gets a tad tedious. He forgets that meat eating is not "normal" for me . . .

• Louiseab
    3 years ago

I hate to be the exception, but there really isn’t anything I won’t or can’t eat. And oddly enough when I grew up, my mom had a very limited palate, so we weren’t exposed to a lot of different choices.

amylou321 thanked Louiseab
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

No sushi. Used to hate asparagus until I discovered that you don't have to cook it until it is slimy like my mother always did. Love real cheesecake as in NY cheesecake (heavy thick cheesecake, not cream cheese-type cheese cake), hate okra (see slimy comment above), won't eat grits ever. Liver is a no unless it is foie gras or paté, although I have pretty much moved away from the foie gras because of the cruelty to the geese.

amylou321 thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • patriciae_gw
    3 years ago

As for being flexible, I am. My mother had I think a good rule. We were never required to eat anything, we just couldnt have anyone elses portion of what ever was on offer. If you wouldnt eat spam you didn't get your brothers mashed potatoes even if he ate your spam. She was pretty even about making sure we had plenty of choices. As a result we ate most things. That or go hungry.

amylou321 thanked patriciae_gw
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

I pinkmountain if you see this have your husband tested for low B vitamins. I could chew nails when I allow my B12 to go too low. Hopefully if that is his problem he can take the shots.

I do have a comment about sushi. I am surprised at the hate because much of it is simply rice, veggies, and cooked seafood of some type. There are ones with raw fish and seafood on top but one of my favorite types is a tofu pocket stuffed with seasoned rice sometimes with tiny pieces of veggies other times plain.

amylou321 thanked maifleur03
  • yeonassky
    3 years ago

Not much I hate; many things I can't eat though.

I love asparagus tinned and fresh. Love ruining meat based chili with beans. :-)

I can taste the soap in cilantro but I don't mind it at all especially with lime. Also I am reminded of a study that said that's cilantro helps to keep one healthy with daily consumption.

Link to info about study,

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20190725/Why-cilantro-(coriander)-is-good-for-your-health.aspx

I don't know if it's a Canadian thing but fruit and meat are fine together for me. As well as pineapple on pizza.

I do like my cheese just melted not mixed into casseroles so seldom put cheese in layers on anything except for lasagna.

amylou321 thanked yeonassky
  • Lukki Irish
    3 years ago

I can’t stand the taste or smell of brocolli and asparagas.

I have no use for a crock pot and don’t understand how people can truly enjoy that “old” and “overcooked” taste every thing has that’s made in one, even the smell is stomach turning to me.

Not a fan of dark chocolate either, but I don’t eat a lot of chocolate or candy in general, especially sour stuff.

It has to be Best Foods Mayo (AKA Hellman’s) or forget it, and I can taste the difference!

I love the smell of coffee especially flavored but I can’t handle drinking it. I don’t understand the draw to tea or any hot drinks either, including hot cocoa. Then again I also don’t like milk drinks, sugary soda drinks, flavored waters or anything in between. I haven’t had a soda in many years now. I drink cold water only and the colder the better. A lot of people don’t like plain water which I don’t understand because our bodies need it so badly.

I love mint on Lamb, which for a picky eater is pretty good, love lobster and super rare beef too.

I don’t understand why cheese has to go on everything. I love cheese, but not on my burgers, not on my veggies and certainly not on my potatoes.

amylou321 thanked Lukki Irish
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I love ice cream...but hate strawberry ice cream!

amylou321 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

Hubs eats meat. And he is a huge vitamin taker, including a high dose of B vitamins every day. He eats healthy. He is a very plain food devotee, the meat and starch and vegetable and maybe a salad type of meal. He's not much into ethnic, and when he does do ethnic, it's just a riff on the above. When we eat out ethnic he finds one type of dish he likes and then orders it ever time, no matter the restaurant. For example, he always orders "General Tsao's Chicken" at a Chinese restaurant, or maybe chicken with broccoli or chicken garlic if he wants to mix it up. That's it. If we're eating out Italian, he gets veal or chicken Parmesan every time. And on it goes. He says, "I know what I like so why not stick with it." That's a plus for marital fidelity, btw!

I on the other hand, am a stir fry jumble casserole futzy combos kind of cook. I can do plain too though. Lately that's what i want to do. But still mostly vegetarian. "Plain" vegetarian food to me is something like tofu salad sandwich, which can be seasoned many ways. Hubs would freak at that . . . lol! He freaks when I want to add pickle relish to tuna salad . . . he claimed that was "way out there" in food taste too. I already posted about that. Seems like there are two camps when it comes to tuna salad, the "anything goes for accoutrements" camp and the "basic is best" camp. I can eat in either camp, and if someone else is making it, so much the better!! I only cook so I can eat what I like. I'm a faithful wife, but I'm an extrovert, even when it comes to food, I like to engage lots of variety.

• jally
    3 years ago

nicole & signet, my nephew's wife also hates the smell of coffee.

yeonassky, pineapple pizza is a healthy combo. See: https://www.humnutrition.com/blog/bromelain/

-------------------------

amylou, I'm a complete paradox in that I love the smell of Citrus spray, but my system can't tolerate acidic foods. On the other hand, Sweet spray such as lavender, makes me nauseous & headachy, but yet I always need to sweeten foods to make them tolerable to my acidic system.

-------------------------

Like you, I, too, never liked maple syrup (but do like mild molasses which is healthy).

As i mentioned in another houzz post (but which probably confused everyone) is that the reason some subsets of people may like a grouping of foods other than the preferences of another subset of people, may be:

1. Their being a supertaster vs. non-taster vs. medium-taster as per Dr.Bartoshuk's research
    2. Their having high blood sugar. My oldest sister has been diabetic for a long time, and she liked maple-sugar candies which i myself thought were nauseatingly sweet. My own system is too acidic and i have acid saliva. So i speculate that people with higher blood-sugar thrive on foods which are more extreme, whereas i myself do not. For example: I speculate that diabetics' "sweet saliva" causes them to like bitter chocolate, because their sweet saliva compensates and causes it to be "semi-sweet" (rather than too bitter). I think that diabetics' "sweet saliva" causes very-salty foods to taste "sweet and salty" (rather than overly salty) I think that diabetics' sweet-saliva causes sour foods to taste sweet 'n sour, which might explain why they might consider actual "sweet and sour" meals to be "blah". It's also why they may enjoy very spicy foods.

Don't get me wrong. There are grey areas. For example, although i abhor very-bitter chocolate, yet I love burnt veggies, burnt potato chips, and burnt toast. The latter might taste too bitter to many people, yet i love it, even though i'm for the most part a supertaster. I think my 2nd sister may be a medium taster, because she likes very rich chocolate, and she does have slightly high blood sugar.

I don't think any researchers ever explored the possible correlation between being a supertaster and blood-sugar status.

For example, perhaps a Non-taster may be more predisposed to develop high blood sugar, because they need to "pile on the sugar" in order to taste anything?

amylou321 thanked jally
  • pekemom
    3 years ago

Enjoying reading posts about foods I love or hate...cilantro tastes like soap to me, looked it up, it's genetic.

amylou321 thanked pekemom
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County