SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Floof! Finding comfort...

amylou321
3 years ago

What gives you comfort in times of stress? Is it a certain food? An activity or hobby?

I hear the phrase "comfort food" a lot. I like food, some more than others of course, but i cannot say that it comforts me. If I am upset of stressed, which is not often, I lose my appetite. I do find certain types of cooking to be comforting,like holiday dishes and seasonal sweets, but not the everyday task of it,though i do enjoy it.

For me, I notice when things get stressful for me, I find comfort in watching episodes of old Cooking Shows. Why, I don't know. An escape maybe. The other night while I was working, there was a pretty gnarly storm that came through and i lost power in my office. I could do nothing, save sit here and wait for it to be fixed. Luckily, I had all 24 episodes of "Two Fat Ladies" and a dozen or so episodes of "Barefoot Contessa" downloaded onto my Kindle Fire to calm me down. I am vexed that I cannot buy Nigella Lawsons old shows anywhere. There are maybe 5 or 6 of her very first one on Amazon Prime, but that's all. I LOVE her Christmas Kitchen episodes. THOSE are the most comforting of all i think. I can sometimes find them and episodes of her other series (Nigella Express, Nigella Kitchen, Nigella Feasts) on YouTube, but they don't stay there long. I swear that woman has her copyright cops out in full force! (Can't blame her for that, but PLEASE,NIGELLA I BEG YOU SELL YOUR SHOWS SOMEWHERE! She would make a killing of of me alone.)

My nightly walking used to be a great calmer. But this time of year it is a necessary chore. I dread the sticky mess i turn into by the time i have my steps in. I am looking forward to fall and winter and the lovely, head clearing weather they bring so i can find calm and comfort in walking again.

I find anything Christmas comforting. The music, the movies, even just planning my decor. I do try to restrain myself from watching the movies until after Thanksgiving, just so they keep their seasonal allure. But i listen to Christmas music all year and also enjoy watching Christmas Light Shows on YouTube and planning my own decorations. I like to peruse lights and such online. And while i have never ordered anything, i enjoy QVCs "Christmas in July."

Very comforting to me.

What is your comfort?

Comments (40)