SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Floof: Are you "Brand loyal?"

amylou321
5 years ago

I mean, to the point where you would go without or go to another store if the store was out of that brand? I am on certain things. For example, SO likes one brand of breakfast sausage,Swaggerty's. It is only sold at Wal-Mart, that i know of. I cannot substitute a different brand, as he doesn't like any other kind. If they are out, we just go without until they have it.Another one, I have to have Cottonelle Ultra comfort care toilet paper. SO insists on it. Its my fault, really. I started buying it for his house shortly after we started dating, when i didn't even live with him yet! And it spoiled him to all others. I will go to a different store to find that.

On most other things, I have preferences certainly.

Food wise:

Mayo: Hellmans

Ketchup: Heinz

Mustard: French's

Bread: Sunbeam

Pickles: Claussen

All of these are what i prefer, but if the store was out, i could go with a different brand with minimal grumbling.....

Cleaning:

The only thing i really swear by is the Mr. Clean magic erasers. I have right now, different cleaning sprays/foams/whatever made by Lysol,Clorox,Comet,Windex,Swiffer and Bona, just to name a few. I am loyal to Tide for my laundry.

Beauty, for lack of a better term i suppose:

I am loyal to Bath and Body works for lotions. Not only because I love scented lotion, but i like how it is light enough that it soaks in quickly and doesn't just sit on my skin getting greasy. As for soap, hand soap from Bath and Body Works is my favorite, and i tend to never run out, but I will use other brands if i ever do run out as long as they smell nice. For bar soap, my sister makes and sells goats milk soap and i am loyal to her, if only because of the family connection. I haven't bought any bar soap out of a store for at least 5 years. For other things like Shampoo, Conditioner, body wash, etc. I like to try different brands. I haven't ever come across one that has done anything amazing enough to keep me buying only one brand. I don't wear makeup, so no loyalty there, :) I do wear polish on my toenails, but no loyalty there either. I buy pretty colors, brand not withstanding.

So, what about you all? Are you dead set on any brand? Or are you flexible with such things?

Comments (52)

• arcy_gw
    5 years ago

Brand no. I would go INSANE if I thought a BRAND had me in its grips. Do I have product PREFERENCES probably but I don't see me changing my menu for the week or going without if the usual purchase was sold out. NOTHING is worth that. I do have brands I would never bother with again. Would be happy to try something new vs waste money on that again. Toilet paper comes to mind. For the most part if it is the brand on sale/cheapest on the shelf, it is in my cart.

amylou321 thanked arcy_gw
  • User
    5 years ago

Sometimes -- I prefer Duke's mayo but will buy Hellman's if it's on sale; I don't care what brand my mustard and ketchup are and I rarely buy salad dressing so have no brand there. I do buy Gold Medal Flour whether it is on sale or not and will pass up another brand on sale for GM. I only buy Yoplait yogurt (mostly the Oui). And I like to wash my clothes in Persil BUT if our store has a good sale on Tide, I'll buy that. There are a lot of products that I buy the store brand rather than the name brand.

amylou321 thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Floof: Do you have a favorite bowl?

Q

Comments (30)
    I probably have more bowls than any one person ought to have. Which is my favorite depends on what I am doing. I have two fairly small size (maybe 2 qt.?) Melmac splatter ware bowls that I absolutely love for mixing small amounts of anything. They are light weight, easy to clean, and I love the slight lip around the edge that makes them so easy to handle. I wish I had a couple of bigger sizes like them. Mixing large amounts of anything calls for the large yellow Pyrex bowl that was my mother's, I have the whole set of 4, and use them often. No idea how old they are, she had them ever since I can remember. I use my electric hand mixer in them, no problems. For my stand mixer, I use the stainless bowl that came with it, nothing else would fit. Also have a few other bowls of various sizes and types, including Tupperware, which I decided many years ago, I really don't like. I mean I really REALLY don't like Tupperware! ! ! And then there are the many different serving bowls, most of which would probably be considered 'vintage' or 'collectible', and a few might even be antiques. A few that came from my Grandfather's home in Germany, and some my mother got in boxes of soap many years ago. I like dishes of all kinds, can you tell? (Grin) Rusty
    ...See More

Floof- Little things you do for yourself that make you happy

Q

Comments (45)
    Same as Amy....I don't deny myself anything if I want it and have the money. I do give consideration to whether or not I really need it, and sometimes I talk myself out of things....like another horse. I like going to thrift shops, auctions, yard sales, etc. My waterlilies and contemplating new ones that I want, and crosses that I want to make. Antique rose cuttings and planning for new ones and getting together with the Rose Rustlers to share cuttings. I eat what I want, when I want it. I don't diet or worry about gaining weight. I like sleeping with three or four of my cats. Walking with three of my dogs...the ones that mind the best and will stay right with me or immediately come back when I call them. I have wanted to walk in the Nati'l. Forest, and now that hunting season is over, I plan to do that...just hope I don't get lost like I did a couple of weeks ago, when I thought I was taking a short cut home, and ended up deep in the forest and stuck in the mud...at 9:30 at night with a dying phone and no flashlight. I enjoy my old horses and seeing them thrive, because almost all of them came from situations of severe neglect. I love when nothing is planned, no one is coming around, and I can spend the whole day by myself and just drift around the place, looking at the waterlilies, roses, fish, going to the old barn and seeing the bats in the hay loft. Fixing nice meals for my wild possums. Listening to my radio guy, who comes on twice a day.
    ...See More

Floof! You've heard of victory gardens.....

Q

Comments (9)
    I almost bought a blue hydrangea in Wal-mart today. I didn't, though, because I never have had good luck with them. I planted purple potatoes too this year and they are all sprouting nicely. They're Purple Viking and Purple Majesty. Most growing in grow bags and a few in other raised beds. This is the first year I've gotten small asparagus from roots I planted a long time ago. I never thought I'd get any. Planted some 3 year old purple asparagus roots this year and have already harvested a few smallish ones. Some are too small to pick this time around. They came up just a few days after planting! I also bought some Vego-type beds, only mine are Birdies. I still have to put one together. I just transplanted some Kale, spinach and cabbage seedlings into the bigger one this afternoon. The round one I first had them in, soil had sunk quite a bit after a lot of rain so will fill it back up to the top and plant some sweet potato slips in it. Not sure how the cabbage will do, have only tried to grow them once or twice many years ago without success. Last year, though, I had a volunteer come up from kitchen scraps I tossed under some straw in the garden. Best tasting cabbage I've eaten in a long time. Made me hopeful I could grow more. Fun2BeHere, I love snapdragons, one of my favorite flowers but I never seem to have any luck with them and I don't know why. I can grow almost any other flower but that one.
    ...See More

Update- found it! (Floof) Address Books- do you still have one?

Q

Comments (55)
    For the person who said s/he disliked writing return addresses on Christmas, birthday cards, etc., I support several charities and over the years a number have sent sheets of return address stickers, probably enough to last me for 330 years or so. (Intended to write "30" above, actually came out as "39"; should have left it, I guess, being close ... but when I went to aamend, reduplication editor amended it as you see. There aren't that many on hand, I assure you!). I have an address book that's been around for many years. I find that after several amendments have been made on one person's listing, I cut a a piece of glued paper from a received envelope that wasn't fully glued to fit the needed space. ole joyful
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago

Heinz Ketchup, but I will take Frenchs

Frenches mustard

Green Giant canned vegetables

Hunts tomato anything (diced, crushed, paste, etc.)

I can't think of much of anything else right now, but will when I walk away from the computer.

amylou321 thanked User
  • sprtphntc7a
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

my loyalty:

Tide

Dove bar soap

7th generation dish soap

lemi-shine (stupid one but it works)

Penzey Spices - excepts their vanilla, i make that myself

stony field organic 0% greek yogurt

daisy 2% cottage cheese

philadelphia brand cream cheese

kraft cheez whiz

trader joes organic old fashioned oats

Hellman's mayo

Everything else is up for grabs!!

amylou321 thanked sprtphntc7a
  • nicole___
    5 years ago

To a point:

16ga kitchen sinks:, Franke, Vigo or Kraus. Faucets: Kohler or Grohe

Cambria quartz granite.

----------------------------------------------FOOD------------------------------------------------------------

Ketchup: Heinz is my 1st choice, Hunts is my 2nd

Philadelphia brand cream cheese is my 1st choice

Plain Chobani Greek yogurt or Sigi's vanilla

amylou321 thanked nicole___
  • ritaweeda
    5 years ago

I buy store brands unless a major brand is BOGO or on sale. My preferences are not so much in name brand but in ingredients. Such as margarine, don't care what brand as long as it's olive oil, same for mayo. Things like that. With only a few exceptions I have found that most store brands are just as good as major brands. On the other hand DH does specifically ask for certain cold cuts to be Boar's Head so I try to make him happy since he has to eat a sandwich almost every day at work. I don't find that much difference myself but that's what he wants and since he's a pretty good guy and doesn't ask for much I try to please him.

amylou321 thanked ritaweeda
  • nickel_kg
    5 years ago

Toilet paper - Angel Soft, mega rolls. I'm sure other brands are okay but it's such a pain in the (neck, lol) to compare cost and quality among all the brands that years ago we gave up and said Angel Soft from now on.

Milk - local brand is pasteurized but not homogenized, so its 0% skim milk has a richer mouth-feel than regular homogenized 2%s.

Laundry detergent - Seventh Generation

Baking Powder - Rumford

Sugars - Domino

Raisins - Sunmaid

Chocolate Chips - Ghirardelli

Almonds - Blue Diamond (roasted and lightly salted)

Ketchup - Heinz

Those are the main things that I'd walk out rather than buy a different brand or a cheaper product.

amylou321 thanked nickel_kg
  • marilyn_c
    5 years ago

Pickles....Claussen only.

I have a lot of preferences but I can't think of one that I would rather go without than substitute, except sausage. I buy it at a local farm that also has a store. (Froberg's...for anyone in this area.) I use it when I cook beans, and other things...like cabbage, and if I don't have it....and can't get to Froberg's, I won't cook it until I do, although it is several miles farther from me than any supermarket, which is still 15 miles away.

amylou321 thanked marilyn_c
  • Michael
    5 years ago

Loyal to:

Soap Products

Dove Care for Men

Mrs Meyer's foaming hand soap

Persil for laundry

Adam's Car Shampoo

Bed Linens

Parachute Home

Magic Linen

Foods

Dei Fratellicanned tomato products, pizza sauce, etc.

Mustard: The Authentic Stadium Mustard (no exceptions)

Ketchup: Hunts

Peanut Butter, Jam: Smucker's Natural or Kroger Natural

Milk Products: Snowville Creamery

Appliances

Miele Home Care

Samsung Kitchen & Laundry

Home Entertainment

Yamaha- Samsung - LG - Fluance- Angstrom

Lighting

Phillips Hue - Cree - WeMo

Tires

Nokian

Christmas Tree

Santa's Own

Many others but cutting it short.

Not loyal to anything at Aldi stores.

amylou321 thanked Michael
  • chisue
    5 years ago

Northern 3-ply MEGA roll TP. Vanity Fair luncheon size paper napkins. Bounty 'big/little' paper towels. Persil granuals. Tide granuals.

Post Great Grains cereal. Any no-corn-syrup/no sugar ketchup. LaBrea or other 'artisan' bread, unsliced. Lindt or Toblerone chocolate. No Hormel or other injected meat products.

I skip the middle aisles of a grocery, where they display the high profit largely salt and sugar drinks and empty calorie 'snacks'. I don't buy water. I skip the deli counter, buying hunks of ham, cheese, etc. to slice myself. I don't buy pre-cut fruit or vegetables or 'meal kits'.

We know we are lucky to be able to pick and choose. I don't have to make food stretch at our home,but I am conscious of value and waste. We support charities that aid basic human needs for food and shelter.

amylou321 thanked chisue
  • Sisters in faith
    5 years ago

There are brands that I've tried, and won't buy again, because they're not cost effective, or I didn't like the taste. I willing to try different brands. I especially like free samples.

amylou321 thanked Sisters in faith
  • clt3
    5 years ago

Hey Brushworks ! Where do you live? Stadium Mustard is made by a relative of mine!

amylou321 thanked clt3
  • Mystical Manns
    5 years ago

What's the opposite of brand loyalty? I do that one.

Example ... I bought no-name (store brand) pork & beans and they were not cooked, hard as rocks. Tried them again months later, same result. Won't buy them a third time. Same thing with no-name green beans, they were stringy and tough. Corn was tasteless and tough. So I stick with name brands for canned foods now.

TP - my preference is Costco brand, but I don't have a Costco nearby. A friend brings me a giant package once a year when she visits. We started that deal when I'd run out and bought something locally. Don't even remember what brand it was, but it didn't dissolve easily in the water. Since I'm on septic, that's a requirement for me.

Milk - yes, I prefer Sam's or Costco milk, but since they aren't available to me I use Highland 2%. Tried store brand and it was AWFUL to me, so I won't try it again. Tried almond milk once and it was not something I'd ever willingly do again.

Clothes - I really don't care where they come from. I just want them to last long enough that I feel I got my $$ worth. I'm still wearing some of DH's shirts (short and long-sleeved Ts) that he bought at a K-Mart going out of business, must be 8 or 9 years ago. Got them for $1 and $2 each and they're still with me. They are not a brand of any kind, just the cheapest shirts K-Mart had and yet they're lasting and lasting.

Laundry - I am loyal to Arm & Hammer laundry soap and OxyClean. I use no-name, unscented softeners, as I detest all the laundry fragrances that are so popular right now.

amylou321 thanked Mystical Manns
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

I have little brand loyalty other than I do only purchase Charmin Mega rolls but even then since they sell two sizes of Mega rolls I am careful to check the size. Brand loyalty is fine but most things change the way they are made over a period you years so what you liked about a product at one time the product currently may not have what you liked. When I can I purchase things that are new at the store but I know if I like them that supply will probably be the only time they were manufactured.

amylou321 thanked maifleur01
  • lucillle
    5 years ago

I only buy certain brands of chocolate whether chips, candy, or baking. One year I bought an off brand of chocolate Easter eggs and they were horrible.

amylou321 thanked lucillle
  • bpath
    5 years ago

For groceries, since I'm kind of "visual", brand/product loyalty makes my shopping much faster--I just spy the label I want lol. I like to "buy local" when I can. And I do most of my shopping at my small, local chain...I know where everything is and the staff!

Orange juice is one thing I now go to another store for. We like the fresh-squeezed, and recently found that Heinen's is deee-licious. Heinen's is an Ohio-based chain that came into our area a few years ago. I like many things about it (they have nice meat and the butcher at my closest store is sooo nice). Now, I don't know if the OJ is so good because of the oranges they get at this time of year, and if it will still be just as good in March, but boy, we are enjoying it now.

My Whole Foods carries a brand of relish that I love. I recently carried a jar to my small local chain where I do most of my shopping and handed it to the manager, telling him "don't make me drive all the way to WF to get this". Sometimes they buy stock based on customer requests, especially if the product is somewhat local, so hopefully I'll be seeing Doc's Tomatillo Relish on my weekly shopping trip soon.

by the way, I wish toilet paper makers would put the name of the product on the cardboard tube. By the time I reach the end of the roll, I can't remember what I had bought! I need to know which product to get, or not get, next time!

amylou321 thanked bpath
  • aok27502
    5 years ago

Honest question for those who only buy Philadelphia cream cheese; what is the difference from other brands? I eat a fair bit, and buy Aldi brand for .79. I can't discern a difference from the name brand, other than 2X the price.

amylou321 thanked aok27502
  • Michael
    5 years ago

clt3,

I lived in northern Ohio for 42 years and have used it from the beginning. I'm in central Ohio now, and it's readily available here, and I think around the world.

amylou321 thanked Michael
  • lily316
    5 years ago

Nope.No brand loyalty except have always bought Tide liquid, regular scent. I've never eaten mayonnaise or ketchup . I do like Nivea body lotion and 'It's a 10' hair product but not totally loyal to them.

amylou321 thanked lily316
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Tide

Best Foods Mayo (aka Hellman's)

Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing Mix

Heinz Ketchup

I don't have any problem with store brand products for many things although I have found there are some things that don't seem to be as good as certain national brands so I avoid those.

amylou321 thanked DawnInCal
  • georgysmom2
    5 years ago

Pretty much so on certain things. Hellman's....tried Duke's but didn't care for it (sorry Duke's fans), Heinz ketchup and cocktail sauce, Cento Italian tomatoes, taste tested once with several different brands because I needed about six cans to fulfill my recipe, not only does it taste better, but they are easier to put through food mill. Pretty much use Philadelphia cream cheese but will use Trader Joe's, too. There are some other things I can't think of right now. Today I'm headed out to stores because I tried to buy some corn syrup yesterday. They had Karo light but didn't have the dark. They had another brand but after checking the ingredients, it was loaded with so many additives including preservatives so I don't really care what it tasted like just want the plain corn syrup.

amylou321 thanked georgysmom2
  • Jasdip
    5 years ago

I prefer more store-brand products than brand name. Compliments corn flakes is so much better tasting than Kellogg's for example.

The only sausage we like is Grillwurst, made by Pillars, here in our city.

We/I only buy French's ketchup; Heinz is too sweet.

T/p is only Kirkland.

We also prefer store-brand canned vegetables. Green Giant creamed corn is terrible, too watery.

Dove bar soap (Olay is also good)

amylou321 thanked Jasdip
  • Michael
    5 years ago

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Piller's Liverwurst

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

A few items yes I only buy kraft original Mayo. I have tried others but not anymore I stick with the kraft.

I prefer French's mustard, if not available I might buy another one.

In general I am not obsessive about brands.

amylou321 thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • lily316
    5 years ago

Husband likes Aldi cereals better than brand names. I don't eat cereal.

amylou321 thanked lily316
  • wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

Ariat Insoles - Go in any boot I buy

Hoffy's All Beef Hotdogs

Dickenson's Lemon Curd

Neto's Linguica

Best Foods Mayo

Pureology Shampoo and Conditioner
    rotated with
    Bumble and Bumble Shampoo and Conditioner

Degree Solid Deodorant

Dial Bar Soap

Puffs Facial Tissues

Bali Bras

Panosonic for small electronics like bathroom vents

Dell PCs

Suncast Plastics for anything like outdoor sheds,outdoor storage boxes etc.

Bausch and Lomb Lens Wipes

The above are current favorites that can change. I look at build over brand for most hard goods because I have a clear understanding of how parts are sourced by the manufacturers so labels mean little to me in that regard. I get a real chuckle over the debates over which appliances are best for example.

There have been many brands that I used to be loyal to in the past but I no longer buy because of product/ingredient changes. I won't touch anything from Wonder/Hostess any longer and the same goes for Brach's Candy. Ick.

amylou321 thanked wildchild2x2
  • sheilajoyce_gw
    5 years ago

Yes, I am brand loyal for many products. However, I am finding it more difficult to find the brands I like these days as stores limit shelf space to only their house brand. I then look elsewhere.

amylou321 thanked sheilajoyce_gw
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

I was loyal to Brooks catsup a Canadian brand. But the last couple of bottles of it are no longer the tangy spicy goodness that they used to be. Currently trying to find something that tastes similar.

• User
    5 years ago

Yes. I do not like generics, because the store will change the company they get them from to save a penny. Even if I liked it to begin with, I may not like the new one. You can't tell, because the generic label will be the same. If I buy the brand name I like, I know what it will be until like Maifleur01 the company changes the recipe. Then I will look for a new favorite.

Sheliajoyce_gw, I have started ordering online to get the brands I want, if I cannot find them in the stores. I have five groceries I can look at, but if not I order.

amylou321 thanked User
  • Lars
    5 years ago

I make my own pickles, I make my own mayo, and I'm not picky about mustard anymore, as I have found acceptable alternate brands of Dijon style mustard. I don't eat ketchup, and I make my own hot sauce and chili sauces. For canned tomatoes, I prefer Six-in-1, which I order on line, for pasta sauce; for spicy dishes, I use Rotel tomatoes. If I do buy hot sauce, I buy Herdez brand because it does not contain vinegar, and if I buy chili sauce, I buy La Victoria because it does not contain tomato, and I will have these on hand for emergencies, although generally I make my own.

I am pretty loyal to Dawn dish soap, and for the dishwasher, we use Cascade Complete. I do not like Cascade Platinum because it leaves a fragrance or flavor on the dishes, and I do not want that. With many products, I try to buy unflavored and unscented.

amylou321 thanked Lars
  • ladypat1
    5 years ago

Ketsup Heinz

Laundry detergent Anything with no smell! so usually All unscented

Finish dishwasher pods

Cobblestone Million Dollar bread ( a nice white bread) when I need a break from whole wheat.

amylou321 thanked ladypat1
  • Fun2BHere
    5 years ago

I'm not particularly brand loyal with food because I mostly buy fresh food...brands unknown. I'm more particular with personal hygiene products and always use the same brands.

amylou321 thanked Fun2BHere
  • marcopolo5
    5 years ago

Hellman's mayo, always get a few on sale so they last till next sale. Will not use any other. Gulden's brown mustard and Heinz catsup always. Dawn original dish wash liquid . Jimmy Dean hot breakfast sausage, only substitute would be fresh made from a farmer. Jumbo eggs.

amylou321 thanked marcopolo5
  • glenda_al
    5 years ago

Am particular over my peas

amylou321 thanked glenda_al
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Yes, to brands of products, but not necessarily to a store. If they don't have what I want, I will go elsewhere.

I am loyal to brands as they have served me well over the years and I don't like "surprises" when I'm cooking a meal.

This is getting harder and harder at Kroger as they are replacing practically all the brands with their own house brands. A few are good but most inferior. As a result, I'm buying more and more off of Amazon. At my age and in my health, I cannot run all over town looking for a particular item.

amylou321 thanked Anglophilia
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

Boy, I have been racking my brain to try to remember if I have any loyalties. I can say that in my early adulthood, I was more likely to buy Procter & Gamble products, because they were local and I grew up with them. Not very true now.

I have thought of a few:

Bob Evans Sausage

Woeber's Spicy Brown and Horseradish mustards, and Hickory Farms sweet-hot mustard (also Woeber's Horseradish Sauce)

Kroger cheeses, sour cream and milk (Snowville products are great, but I haven't made room in my budget for them) because of value. When we moved here from CA, my dd (8 years old at the time) would only drink Kroger milk -- the others didn't taste "right" to her. I have favorite brands of cheese (like Kerrygold) and butter that I will buy for treats though.

I eat a lot of soup: I often make it from scratch, but I also will use canned and I still prefer Campbells condensed pea, bean, cream of mushroom and cream of chicken. I buy Progresso chicken noodle and wedding soup also.

I used to make cornbread from scratch with Quaker corn meal, but now don't very often so I use Jiffy mix when I do instead (so the bag doesn't go stale)

Bisquick, probably more out of habit than super strong preference. I think I have used Jiffy, don't recall any real difference.

I used to always buy Scott's 1000 sheet rolls of TP, but that particular one has become so thin and weak that I won't buy it again. I will buy Scott comfort plus, though.

Coca-Cola over Pepsi, but Big K is fine too. Schweppes over Canada Dry.Barq's root beer and cream soda

Edy's or United Dairy Farmers ice cream for "everyday"; Graeters for a splurge.

Lysol cleaning products

Ponds cucumber cleanser

amylou321 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • blfenton
    5 years ago

I have some brand loyalties but they are primarily because they are scent-free.

Palmolive dish soap, Cascade DW soap. Tide Free, Aveeno bath and lotion products, Clinique make-up products, Green Works multi-surface cleaner. Ivory hand-soap or Purell hand-soap.

We don't eat canned vegetables except for tomatoes so Green Giant frozen peas and corn - the store brand is awful

Sun-Rype apple juice

Heinz Ketchup and French's Mustard - a container of each will last us a year.

TP. tissues and paper towels - whatever is cheapest at Costco

Where I shop I have learned not to buy the generic or house brands but as someone mentioned the house brands are taking over the shelves.

amylou321 thanked blfenton
  • Amazing Aunt Audrey
    5 years ago

LeSueur: peas, whole baby carrots, whole green beans

Charmin mega rolls

Viva paper towels

Cascade Complete

Tide pods with fabreez

Starkest

Helmans mayo

French's mustard

Vlasic pickles

C&H sugar

Luzianne teabags

Special K cereal

Dr Pepper!

Sargento cheese

Brown cage free eggs

Probably a lot more

amylou321 thanked Amazing Aunt Audrey
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

No, with very few exceptions :-) Only Grey Poupon for Dijon mustard, although I do use other brands for other flavors. No yellow mustard like French's ever....I don't even consider that stuff to be mustard! And also Heinz ketchup and Best Foods mayonnaise (why is it that condiments seem to demand more brand loyalty than do other food items??)

There are a couple of others, like canned/jarred onions, but that may be because not many companies offer them so somewhat restricted to choices to begin with. And I do prefer Bonne Maman jams and preserves over anything other than homemade. Although I seldom buy it, Coke over Pepsi (never any other brand of cola) and Canada Dry ginger ale and San Pellegrino sparkling fruit sodas. Otherwise generic or house brands work perfectly well for me and I will gravitate to whatever is on sale or the best price.

amylou321 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • arkansas girl
    5 years ago

I do repurchase a whole lot of brand name items but not because they have a brand name, but because I have bought a bunch of other brands and found that this particular brand of the item worked best for us. Then when I find an item that I like a lot, I will then repurchase that item over and over until they either "new and improve" it or discontinue it, then I will be on the hunt for a replacement for that item. I think that food items are my least likely to buy a certain brand name and sometimes I actually like the generic as well or even better. I've found that I like Great Value brand tuna items better than brand name tuna.

A list of some things that I can remember:

Either Member's Mark or Charmin TP depending on the $

Dawn dish liquid

Cascade dishwasher pods

Degree Men's Antiperspirant in Cool Rush for me and Gillette Clear Antiperspirant in Cool Wave for husband

We both use Dr. Bronner's bar soap

Plax dental rinse

Colgate sensitive toothpaste

Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Moisturizing Hand Cream Fragrance Free

Now peppermint essential oil

S. C. Johnson Scrubbing Bubbles

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Sponges

Cafe' Primavato Coffee and Dunkin Donut's French Vanilla coffee

Febreze Air in Spring & Renewal air freshener

Tide Free and Gentle liquid laundry detergent because of allergies, it's the only one I can use

IAMS Mini Chunks dog food, Milk Bone mini dog biscuits and BilJac little Jac treats. These choices after many MANY fails!

Kraft Miracle Whip, Heinz Ketchup and French's Mustard

Herdez Salsa in the can, Taco Bell brand taco sauce

Doritos Spicy Nacho Corn Chips with Tostito Queso Dip

Utz Red Hot potato chips with Heluvagood Onion Dip

amylou321 thanked arkansas girl
  • Rusty
    5 years ago

I didn't think I had any brand loyalties until I came to Glenda's post. I make a pea salad that my family loves, and it HAS to be made with the LeSeur brand English peas! No other brands taste right! If I can't get that brand, I don't make that salad.

I use very few canned vegetables, prefer fresh or frozen. And I avoid store brands of canned and frozen, quality and flavor just seems inferior.

I use Viva plain white, 'select a size' paper towels and Charmin mega rolls of toilet paper.

Kraft mayo

Thomas 'Everything' Bagels

Johnsonville fresh brats

Philadelphia Cream cheese (store brands have weird texture and no flavor)

There's probably more, but my brain doesn't seem to be in full function mode today.

We have two grocery stores here, Walmart and HEB. Both seem to be (not so) slowly eliminating name brands and replacing with their own store brands. Which I hate! ! ! Although I have noticed that both, and Walmart probably more so than HEB, are adding a wider variety of some things. Cooking oil, for example. They now offer coconut, avocado, walnut, sunflower, and a couple of others in addition to the 'regular' oils. And also more and more gluten free products, flours, and such.

But I've wandered completely off topic, sorry. . . . . . . .

Rusty

amylou321 thanked Rusty
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

I purchase mostly frozen veggies because when I purchase fresh most spoil before I can use them. I noticed that several on here avoid the store brands. I avoided Green Giant like the plague it was because the quality was not there. At one time I considered C&W as THE premium brand but now that there label states they are part of Birdseye the quality has gone down. I think it will depend on your store if the store brand is good, bad, or excellent. Birdseye the main nationwide frozen veggies that the store I now go to is also slipping. Last time I purchased their frozen peas I could have made dried split pea soup from them.

• bob_cville
    5 years ago

I'm mostly opportunistic bargain based in my shopping. Some exceptions are:

Mayo: Helman's

Mustard: Koscuisko Spicy Brown Mustard -- IMO the only reasonable use for standard yellow mustard is to permanently stain clothing, or render otherwise perfectly fine food inedible.

Ketchup: Doesn't matter -- I never use it.

Toothpaste: Colgate, regular flavor only

Bath soap: Zest, which several local stores have stopped stocking.

Smoked Sausage: Echrich -- which my usual store no longer carries. It was on sale at another local store I frequent, but they were sold out.

Chicken Stock: Better than Bouillon concentrated stock.

amylou321 thanked bob_cville
  • User
    5 years ago

I have been buying "Today's Harvest" frozen vegetables. They were based in Birmingham, AL and the produce was grown in Southern Georgia. It was great. The quality was as good as anything I could have grown and froze myself. (And probably better!) They have been bought out by another company (Imperial Foods) and have now changed the packaging for a lower quality package. So far the product seems to be okay, but I feel it is only a matter of time until it goes downhill. "Hey, don't throw away the sorta okay stuff, no one will know the difference!"

amylou321 thanked User
  • chisue
    5 years ago

Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream and Talenti Gelato somehow don't taste as good now that I know they are owned by Unilever. Yes, Unilever. Wha?

I'm almost out of Persil granular. They call it 'Pearls'. I only see liquid or 'pods' in local grocery stores. Liquids are 'gummy', and *I* want to decide how much detergent a load of wash needs -- which is less in a front load anyway.

I think Flav-R-Pac frozen vegetables have a slightly thicker plastic bag. We like their 'large cut' mixed vegetables. I don't microwave IN a plastic wrapper, but think the thicker bag provides better protection for the contents in the freezer.

I much prefer Costco's milk. They sell 1% at home, but not on Maui (only whole and 2%). I don't see any advantage to their eggs, brown or white, here or there.

amylou321 thanked chisue
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

I use Persil and like any other detergent I have ever used I make the decision of how much. I do not care for any of the pods I have tried either for dishes or clothing.

• Ava
    5 years ago

There are certain condiments I prefer over others. Numerous times when I have found a cosmetic, cream or soap that I am loyal to, it is discontinued or changed.

amylou321 thanked Ava
  • marilyn_c
    5 years ago

I never buy canned peas. To me they taste like dirty feet smell. The only canned goods I buy are pineapple and tomatoes and beef or chicken broth for some recipes. My husband will put some Spam and Vienna sausages in the shopping cart, but I don't eat that! He takes it to the boat. Oh, and I do usually have a can of Wolf Brand Chili on hand. No beans. I also used to like canned green beans but I haven't eaten any in many years but liked them cooked with bacon and chopped onion. (I may have to try them again).

amylou321 thanked marilyn_c
  • Suzieque
    5 years ago

I'm not brand loyal. My friend only buys "store brand". I agree that in many cases store brand is just as good as a name brand, but not always. I only buy store brand now and then. I'm brand loyal only if I find something that I really really like.

OT, and sorry if this offends, but what is "floof? Is that a take-off of "fluff"? To be funny? Honestly curious about "floof" - - - I've never heard of floof.

amylou321 thanked Suzieque
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Floof is the fluffiest form of fluff. Extra fluff,if you will.