SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_214990251

Approaching a big remodel

Noah Davis
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We're (me, my wife and 6 year old daughter) are first time home owners in Seattle approaching a first time remodel. I'm looking for some perspective from folks who have been there/done that. Here's, a "wish list" of sorts. Starting with just layouts.

A modernized chef's kitchen -- our kitchen is from the 50s or so, it's outdated, and we like to cook

A bigger master suite -- it has a small, "quarter" (ok, technically half?) bath off of it, and not much closet space

Connect our two floors better, providing better flow and reclaimed space.

The devil is in the details, but we're considering a design/build firm for this work, and they are quoting above $400k. Additions, for example, are expensive. It's a 1919 house. Moving stairs isn't cheap either. Brand new kitchens .... yeah. In an expensive city.

The firms we have spoken to all ask us for a budget, which, on the face of it makes sense. Of course you need a budget. But let's say in theory you COULD spend $400k, does it make sense to? We have no plans to move (we just moved), but, also, wouldn't mind living in California at some point. (Just cuz). It's hard to predict. Spending a lot of money risks being kind of upside down for awhile where we've put in more than the house is worth.

Thoughts/perspectives welcome from folks who have done remodels, either as professionals or homeowners. Thanks in advance.

Comments (27)