SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlie_baum2

Bath remodel - Help deciding on shower pan approach

Charlie Baum
3 years ago

Hi folks! Looking for a little advice on choosing a shower pan/drain method. I think I have narrowed it down to two options for my 34" x 54" shower enclosure:

1. A schluter kerdi preformed pan. I would use the 38x60 model and cut it down a bit. I would recess the pan down to my joists and have a curbless shower with the standard square drain. The pan is 1 and 1/8" thick and is the only option I have for a curbless design.

2. A mortar bed with either a standard or linear drain creating a curbed shower pan. I guess I could even use a Schluter linear pan here but it's pretty expensive and at 2" thick I'd have to go curbed anyway.

My main concerns are this: I have very little remodel experience. I am confident I can do the bathroom as I'm handy just never done any real reno before. I have watched hours and hours of videos on schluter stuff as well as mortar beds and waterproofing shower pans and walls. I've seen almost every method, so I've narrowed it down to the two above. I certainly have no masonry experience which is what worries me for #2. I would do the vinyl waterproofing and an oatey drain setup.

My bathroom is on the second floor above the kitchen. Which option is likely the most ideal for someone like me to ensure I have the lowest chance of a leak which would cause me thousands to fix as it would damage potentially the kitchen too. Thank you very much for any feedback!!

CB

Comments (19)