SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Need lots of help: we are (finally)remodeling our bath! (long)

homey_bird
15 years ago

Hello all,

After lurking on this forum for many months, finally we are ready for our bath remodel. As luck would have it, I always fantasized about doing my "dream" master spa sanctuary while browsing the forum. However a leak in the smaller bathroom (5'x7') has prompted that remodel first, and therefore here I am! (I am in SF Bay Area).

Since the space is small there is not much re-arrangement of components that we can do. The bath is VERY dated; and nothing it has is worthy of keeping. Therefore we are willing to rip it completely (which might be necessary to fix the leak as well -- however I am quite a newbie to plumbing issues thus could be wrong).

Without further ado, here are the specifics, and I am posting this list to invite suggestions/comments on each item:

1. A 24" vanity. We have seen Ronbow contempo collection and we liked quite a few. I am looking for less expensive options, if any. We are not considering floating vanities since I am not sure if existing studs can handle it, though we love the look.

2. A good quality, water conserving toilet. (I do not know how good -- since those thingies can cost anywhere from $80 to $3000 as I learnt).

3. We currently have a shower over tub and plan is to rip it and convert it to only shower, with sliding glass (clear) enclosure. We plan to put in a shower pan. This would be a 30"x60" pan. Is this size standard? If so, what are the recommendations for the pans?

4. Tiled shower walls and bath floor. I find myself in love with rectangular tiles that really give a wide feel to the space; I am wondering if they come in natural stone or only ceramic/porcelain? Also out of ceramic or porcelain, which one is preferable in terms of looks and longevity ?

(P.S. I am in love with the idea of showers made of granite slabs. However, one contractor expressed concern about doing it in a 60yr-old house like ours and we will continue looking into both options as we go).

5. Over the toilet storage. This is something that I am debating with DH who is very worried that it would make the space look cluttered....so minimal look would be great.

6. Medicine cabinet/mirror.

7. Lighting: We would love a over-vanity light which would be sufficient as we currently only have that and it works for us.

8. Installing a new exhaust fan. Current bath has none; no vent. However the bath has a window in the tub area; and therefore I wonder if it is possible to set up the exhaust fan there.

9. DH wants to replace current pocket door with a swing door. I think this is not a great idea, but he hates the look. I could perhaps convince him if I collected ideas on better pocket doors, with better hardware (esp locks).

I will post a lot more; and will start new threads as appropriate. I would love to get the ball rolling. I am in SF Bay Area. We are really trying to take our $$'s as far as possible; without spending a fortune would like to achieve a classy look. With the help of this forum I feel confident that we can!

I am posting the link to my current plan:

Here is a link that might be useful: My bath layout

Comments (5)