SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
livinwell

How to Approach a Phased Remodel with Limited Funds

livinwell
16 years ago

I am learning so much on this board. Under another thread I focused only on remodeling my pool but after seeing so many wonderful backyards, I want to have it all.

Pool surface, tile, coping, deck, patio, and possibly some landscaping. I have no DIY skills and little patience. I can tolerate the work to manage subs if that is a less costly approach.

PB quotes roughly 12,5 for the following:

Remove all plaster down to gunite and haul away debris

install new pebble tec, max is 6000-7200 for sheen size 92'

replace main drain cover and fittings

replace tile 99' grades 1-4 (hard to tell what that means in all but Fujiwa book) 1400.

replace coping 12x12 limstone 92' 2860

deco seal 92' 325

sawcut deck for coping 500

Now my question is can I save on any of the above to reduce the impact of adding on more and in what order would you go about a total makeover if you couldn't afford to do it all at once.

1. Can I pebble tec pool and replace tile and coping now?

2. If so, should I sub to get better quality tile and stone for coping, for price PB wants to do everything or can I tell PB I'll get the tile and coping?

3. If I don't demo the backyard completely first, will demo and replacement of deck and patio at a later time, mess up the pool, tile and coping?

4. Is demo something I can sub for less and then have PB install everything?

5. Also PB looked at equipment and didn't recommend replacement. I have 1.5 pump but can't read mfg info, DE filter and solar heating.

I am emphasizing resurface of pool, tile and coping first because my pool is green and half full, so I want to deal with it before the mosquitos take it over. Your sound advice is appreciated.

As soon as I figure out how, I'll post pics of the as-is and maybe one day I'll get to post my new utopia.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living