SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cotehele_gw

kitchen in phases: have you done custom cabinets twice?

cotehele
15 years ago

We plan to stay in this house quite a few more years, and may never move. I guess I got my stubbornness from my Dad. His is irritating, but on me it is charming ;p Anyway, I am not giving up my really nice kitchen for a budget in the basement. Here is my idea: I am looking at doing cabinets in two phases. The first phase would be the stained cabinets that contain everything I need to have a functional kitchen: cooktop, ovens, cleanup/island, prep sink/counter, and refrigerator. The second phase would be painted cabinets for the breakfast, beverage and dish hutch, stacked cabs above the hutch and the Napanee Kitchenet and the pet and pantry cabinets(out of sight of the kitchen). In the meantime, I can continue to use bookcases and metal shelves for the pantry and an LLBean cabinet for the hutch.

My plan is that the phase one budget would permit QS oak or cherry cabinets rather than maple, stone counters (vs. laminate) and apron front sinks (using stone counters-not laminate). The second phase I could upgrade to lighted stacked cabinets and glass-front doors on the hutch and pantry doors and pet cabs that match the kitchen cabinets.

Matching cabinet stain and paint color won't be involved because all of one type is done in each phase. Has anyone done this? Or was it the plan that never moved beyond phase one?

Comments (14)