SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily_stanton

Kitchen reno - what do you wish you had done?

Emily Stanton
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi everyone! I am in the final planning stage of a kitchen renovation. A couple of years after my mother died I decided to live in the house I grew up in. Before I moved in six years ago I had major renovations done to the house EXCEPT the kitchen, because in 2007/8 my mother re-faced the cabinets, put in new flooring, countertops and appliances, and it was the last house thing she did before she died. Anyway, after fifty-plus years, some of the cabinets are starting to fall apart. Also the drawers don't fully open which drives me batty. Because of mobility issues (and being short lol) I want to be able to better access everything. I'm keeping the footprint, the (gorgeous wide plank hardwood) floors, the stainless steel sink, three ceiling lights (over table iron chandelier and over sink pendant and ceiling flush mount) and the countertops (honed black granite, with new inserts where necessary from the same business that made the original - fingers crossed they can closely match it). The current counter backsplash is a piece of the same honed granite 1" thick and 2" high that is affixed to the top of the counter. It can't be higher because of the existing window ledge over the sink.

• I hope to keep the backsplash but should I consider tile instead?

With the advice of my trusted contractor I have decided to get all new appliances, as the current ones are over eighteen years old. I opted for an under-cooktop oven instead of the current double-hung ones. I have slight reservations about having an oven down low, but I almost never use both ovens at once so the use of space seemed better. I have purchased a large countertop toaster oven that can accommodate a 12" pizza (and does all sorts of nifty things my current tiny old one does not), which I think will suffice if a second oven is needed, and which I may end up using more than the actual oven itself! I'm excited about a new refrigerator and really lie the one I've chosen I really like my current dishwasher but I can get a 'free' one with the other appliances I've chosen, so I decide to go ahead. The new one has a top utensil rack where you lay each piece in, and I hope I like it. My brother has one and loves it but I'm so used to chucking silverware into a holder basket I'm wondering if I'll like placing each piece! (I've already chosen all the appliances but have not signed the contract for them.)

The design plans are being done by a local custom cabinet business. I feel the designer has done a very good job of what I want, and offering suggestions. On the stove wall there is a blind corner (currently tons of wasted space) and after much deliberation I am having a large half-moon two-tier susan put in. Next to it, I opted for one of those skinny pullouts (for baking sheets and foil/wrap), and then the cooktop/oven and then wide drawers on the other side of the cooktop/oven. The designer thinks it doesn't look balanced/symmetrical without another skinny pullout flanking the stove. So far I prefer wider drawers, as I've not seen many pullouts I like.

• Do any of you have a non-symmetrical look? Do you regret not having a symmetrical look? The current configuration in my kitchen is not symmetrical and it doesn't bother me at all but I am wondering if I will regret it.

Under the counters I am opting for nearly all drawers. The designer is asking if I want dowels in any of the drawers.

• If you have spacer dowels, do you like them? My plates will be up in a cabinet, not in a drawer, but I will be using drawers for leftover containers, which is where I am thinking of having spacer dowels.
  • Are there other things you use them for that you LOVE? (The few under-counter cabinets will have pull-outs.)

To allow me to better access upper cabinets I have requested pullout/flipdown stepladders be installed in two places. They're expensive but I feel their ease-of-use will make things so much better for me, since I can barely reach cabinets most people can easily access. I currently use a 'grabber' for some high placed items but that is not ideal for everything and so I can't really use those high places. I feel the pullout stepladders will enable me to quickly and easily access those spaces in a manner I've not ever before been able to.

• Do any of you have those types of pullout flipdown stepladders?

I have a walk-in pantry but so far have opted to not have the designer plan it, mostly due to cost. (I haven't yet gotten an estimate report for what she's done so far but I expect what I've got going on will be very expensive. I should be getting an estimate this week.) I believe my contractor can do what few things I want in the pantry - remove a huge wine rack, add a small counter and some more shelves - without having the whole thing re-done.

• Will I regret not having the designer plan it? Will I regret not having adjustable shelving in there and/or going whole-hog while I'm doing everything else?

My contractor will not start on the job until all of the cabinetry is ready and all of the appliances are in. Workers will be accessing the kitchen from the garage and needn't come into the house proper. I plan to cut myself off from the kitchen for the duration of the reno. I've bought a mini fridge and I will use a back bathroom as a makeshift kitchen for as long as it takes.

• To cut down on dust, should I cover doors leading into the rest of the house with plastic? What about the HVAC vents? Are there any dust-prevention measures besides plastic over the door? (The contractor uses a HEPA filter during construction for dust.) My four cats will be in an adjacent room whilst all this is going on. Should I close/seal the vents in that room? How about vents in other rooms?

I admit to being more than a little terrified that I am overthinking or underthinking, or forgetting something! If there is any advice y'all can give me to help me live through a kitchen renovation, and to calm my fears, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Comments (36)