SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dallasauburn

Question about contractor approach

DallasAuburn
14 years ago

We are approaching a major remodel and are using a residential designer. This designer works with a design/build contractor who has done many new builds and down-to-the-studs remodels in our neighborhood. Our plan is to develop plans using this designer and then bid it out. I prefer this approach because I cannot justify the expense of an architect for the scope of our work, and because I believe the residential designer will design a plan that is "buildable" at an affordable level -- we are in a neighborhood of 50s brick ranches where most are being updated, extensively remodeled or town down and rebuilt.

I am working in parallel on a set of specs to provide with the plans for the bid package. I know architects typically provide specs as part of his/her services, but this residential designer will not be as detailed as an architect, and so I want to cover my bases (as well as educate myself). The designer will provide drawings (interior, elevations, etc) and specs for electrical and plumbing.

I started with the easy stuff... item numbers and makes/models/finshes for appliances, light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, etc. Now I am at the point that I would like to specify finishes and details regarding the quality level of workmanship, the quality of other items such as shingles, insulation (R-value), etc., and I am overwhelmed. Is there a document that exists that I can use as a starting point? How does one know how to specify precisely what they want without detailed knowledge of every trade? I can't believe that an architect has this level of detailed knowledge, either. At some point, it seems that the contractor has to specify the level of quality (Marvin windows, etc) that they typically use and then the owner "upgrades" or down grades.

The contractor did provide a "typical" spec that seems to have a lot of detail, but I don't know how to begin to fill-in-the-blank. For example, there is a framing table that specifies material, grade, size and spacing for girders, sills, studs, 1st floor joists, 2nd, ceiling, rafers, sub-floor, roof deck. I don't know how to fill in this table -- this seems very specific to the builder.

So, in summary...

1. Is there a specification document that I can use as a starting point?

2. How do I know what to specify to give me a quality build, or do I have to over-educate myself on every trade?

3. Would love to hear various approaches from real word situations.

And, kind-of off topic, but I'm leaning toward the appraoch of a negotiated contract with this builder, but don't understand how I can negotiate a contract when, again, I don't know specifics of every trade and the costs associated.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but felt like I needed to provide some details / background for clarity.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge, opinions and experience.

Comments (11)