Houzz Logo Print
webuser_548328692

Bathroom design help, please

Jessica Stuart
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello, first time posting here!

I would love bathroom help.

First, here's our quick background in case it helps. We live in San Antonio, TX in a historic neighborhood, though our house is a new build (we moved in last year) near the river. It's an open modern floor plan. We want the house to maintain a cool natural vibe. Our style is modern (but more mid-century modern) and minimalist, and perhaps a little eclectic (I like to buy second-hand when I can).

The bathroom needs help, and I don't know what direction to go next. Here are the details, with my biggest complaint bolded below.

Walls:

• Orange peel texture (ugh, don't love that but practical I guess)
  • Class Silver from Behr in Satin Enamel (a cool medium gray); just painted two months ago
  • I'm not attached to the wall color, but it's better than before (which was white with a tinge of gray, a very unfinished look)

Shower Tiles:

• Horizontal streaks of cream, gray, brown; it feels warm and almost organey sometimes, yuck [This is my biggest issue with the bathroom. The cool walls totally clash with the warm shower tiles. You can see this in one of the photos attached.]
  • I don't love these tiles, but I think it would be expensive to replace and everything is brand new (just purchased our new build home last spring)
  • There is a row of medium to dark cool gray tiles to break up the main tile

Floors:

• Same as shower tiles

Counter:

• Mostly gray with black and little flecks of brown

Cabinets:

• White (not pure, maybe slightly creamy)

Fixtures:

• Builder grade mirror
  • Chrome light fixtures with daylight Edison bulbs

Decoration:

• None yet, but I plan to at least get a painting over the toilet

Guidance Being Sought:

What recommendations do you have for fixing the clash of the warm tiles and cool walls? And to give it more personality overall?

Ultimately, I'm not attached to any element of this bathroom but I don't want to do a complete re-model on a brand new bathroom. Though if everyone were to agree that the tile, etc. is hideous then I can plan to eventually re-model. But I would also want a more short-term solution.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (5)