SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

December 2021 Week 2: And that's the way it is!

dbarron
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Well, here we are with only two and a half weeks left till December 25th, and only three weeks left in 2021.

It's a bit early to talk about 2022 goals maybe, but one of my goals is to start and use native annuals, so I've been stocking up on them during autumn, with thoughts of seed shortages (and yes, even native ornamental seed was in short supply last year, not just edibles). Pair that with the fact that native annual seed (except CA natives for some reason) are pretty hard to find. With that said, I found it hard to believe that yesterday morning, I bought some seed and not a native annual among it, but at least two native perennials (winecup and blue eyed grass). Winecup or poppy mallow has been one of my most permanent and long blooming native perennials, but I've never had this one (Callirhoe involucrata) self-seed, though C. bushii has. I bought some blue eyed grass twice, and they promptly died on me. Though, I have better luck getting massive (well relatlvely) seed germination and then transplanting to various places in the yard (at least one or two will suit usually).

I've certainly managed to get good stands of reseeding Coreopsis lanceolata anywhere I've stopped mowing without effort. The plants themselves and/or the birds (finches) have easily managed to strow the yard. They have managed to establish a solid ground cover in a 10x10 I stopped mowing last summer, there's almost literally no grass there now, though I can't say that the green and purpling mass of leaves look that great right now either. I just have to console myself that from May through July (for sure) it'll look like the photo below. Actually, if there's enough rain, there's scattered bloom till frost.

How about this weather? I read that someone (mind skips who) still has bearing peppers outside, and I know Nancy and I have asters that still look pretty and are actively flowering. I can moan just a bit, that my yard hasn't had but one good rain since July. It's possible we might get up to .65 today and I might have to call that the 2nd good rain (if we get it) since July. I don't *want* the cold weather, but this just seems unseasonable and can't be healthy on the over-wintering plants/trees/shrubs.

I'm fighting this oscillating whatever I have, Friday was mildly awful, Saturday was like you're not sick. This morning my nose is nearly flooding (not quite), and probably predicts a fairly rough day. I think a good rain to clear the air would help me a lot, I hope I get to test that.

Dear Jasper and Rags are doing well, and enjoying the many outings they get. Unfortunately, Rags seems to acquire one tick per outing (to be removed in 4-5 days when it has engorged enough to be found) and a subsequent long-lasting swollen lump left behind. I still think that if he could make a choice, he'd choose to go on the excursions and endure the ticks. One lady that I met on the trail Monday remarked that he keeps his eye on me at all times. Well, since he was a feral roaming critter when he came to Dad's like seven years ago, I guess he's afraid he'll be left behind to fend for himself. I don't think he minds me taking Jasper (only) on daily walks, it gives him some peace while we're gone.

Nancy, still waiting to hear the verdict on the sausage. Just eat breakfast already.

Comments (64)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living