SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

August 2021 Week 2

dbarron
2 years ago

Well, this seemed like a long week for some reason. Some weeks do seem longer than others.

I'm tired of the heat and (oh my) the lack of rain. I'm actually having to water almost everything this past week.

I have a 51% chance of T-storms today, so there's hope there. As of now, there are three days (Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday) that have T-storm chances...so we'll probably get some.

Fall will begin ....now...(I wish).

My flowering plants are almost all yellow now (yellow daisies in particular, like sunflowers and coreopsis). I always hate how everything is yellow this time of year...I need some deeper brighter colors and I say I'm going to work on that every year and I haven't yet. Maybe next year ?

I have been telling myself I should get some containers sown of basketflower and leavenworth eryngio (though I think I remember that the eryngio doesn't sprout till spring in nature? Need to reread stuff). Biennials are kinda fun. I'll get them sprouted and growing a bit, then when the grass dies, they can be planted in place to over-winter. Along with several of my spring sown stuff that I wasn't willing to sacrifice to summer overgrowth and lack of bermuda control. I have Echinacea 'Mellow Yellow' (yes another darn yellow daisy) and campanula pyramidalis (a european biennial) to transplant out from spring sowing. I have found less vigorous things do better when they get a full season growing protected, then can zoom with everything else in the following spring.

Speaking of that...I do echinacea purpurea this way and I don't know why people say that it blooms the first year from seed if planted early. What is early? I planted some last spring, and put them in the ground last fall (as described above) and only one out of five clumps flowered this year. I know my conditions are 'fight fight fight' (for light and survival), but three years to flower? The only good thing about this is it seems if they grow for several years before flowering, they make a good strong clump and don't die out as fast as if they (gasp) did flower the first year, like some kind of annual.

You know...I planted about eight winter squash in July, and not a one germinated. I figured because I have just a 1/2 barrel that I would only be able to support a couple (thus only planting eight). Dunno if bad seed, heat/drought (I watered) or what?

Jasper-wise, well next week (16th) we will be fully vaccinated and I may begin taking him out for walks in the parks and such. This will enable a more fulfilling interaction for both the puppy and me and an opportunity to tire him out more (both in legs and brain). I should really work on leash so that he's not gonna be so traumatized, but it's just so awful (to me) to think about doing a leash when/where we don't need to (like at home). I should..I should...hope I do.

I also want to move on from late summer, because my taste buds are always stymied this time of year, and nothing sounds or tastes good (doesn't help that I was covidized and taste is somewhat dysfunctional).

Comments (21)