SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

December 2019, Week 2

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

This week the cold returns and temperatures, after today and tomorrow (depending on how far north or south you are), return to more seasonal numbers. Let's enjoy today's and tomorrow's milder weather while we've get it. I believe we are going to be windy though, and warm and windy is not the best combination once all the vegetation is dormant or dead and dried out.

Most of the deciduous trees here finally are pretty bare, later than usual. There's leaves on the ground everywhere. At our place there's obviously acres and acres of them, and we mostly leave them where they fall except for the ones that fall in the yard right around the house. We mow those up and put them on flower beds as mulch or on the compost pile. There's still quite a few post oaks (and a few other oaks) with leaves clinging to them, but with post oaks in particular, this is common. Their leaves often hang on here all winter.

We're still seeing green (cool-season forbs and grasses) plants sprouting, though it is fairly late for that to be happening. We have been warm enough to make it possible and this could be considered a good thing for anyone who planted cover crops, fall veggies or wildflower seeds late.

Garden catalogs continue to arrive. Most of them have about the same old things as always, and seeds that are new in one catalog tend to be popping up in all the other catalogs too---a reminder that, as much as they do not want for us to realize this, many of them get their seed from the exact same multinational seed growers/wholesalers.

For anyone who wants to add a green plant or two indoors, I'm still seeing lots of holiday type plants in the stores---poinsettias, amaryllis, paperwhites, Christmas cactus, cyclamens, Norfolk Island pines, rosemary plants sheared into Christmas tree shapes, etc. Home Depot even has little holiday planters filled with red and green succulents.

Of the three Amaryllis plants that were in bloom the week before Thanksgiving, the week of Thanksgiving and this past week. only one still has flowers on it. On the other two, the flowers have faded and are done. On the third, one of the two stalks remains. Each stalk had 4 flowers and at one point all 8 flowers were in bloom simultaneously, and it did look pretty spectacular. Of the remaining 4 Amaryllis plants, two are growing really well and two are really slow. We'll see if any of them manage to be in bloom by the time Christmas arrives.

Outdoors the warm weather continues to bring us surprises. The coyotes are getting a little bold, and are out both day and night. While often assumed to be nocturnal, we often see them during the day---perhaps a bit more in winter than in summer, but it can happen any time of the year. Wasps continue to swarm and try to come indoors on any and every warm day. That is irritating enough to make me wish the cold would settle in and stay. Out in the front pasture? The biggest surprise is the grasshoppers that keep hatching. Usually by now we are a grasshopper-free zone, and yet I am seeing very small ones in the tall grass in the pasture....maybe 1/4 to 1/2" in length. Actually, let them all hatch---let every single egg hatch while we are warm, and then maybe all the little grasshopper nymphs will freeze when the weather turns back colder.

Nothwithstanding this week's cooler weather that we'll have for a few days, the longer-term outlooks show a warmer than average December for us. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though it probably kills anyone's hope for a white Christmas. The western part of OK is sliding more and more into abnormally dry or drought conditions, with an obvious increase in grass fires on warm, windy days, so they probably could benefit from some rain, yet seem unlikely to get anything significant any time soon. It wouldn't help enough now anyway unless it encouraged the sprouting and growth of some cool-season plants that would give them some green. I'd like to add that green plants burn too, but the green can slow down grass fires and wild fires in the short term. In the long term, the green plants will catch fire and burn even hotter than the brown dry/dormant plants because they release oxygen as they burn, so green plants at this time of the year are not necessarily a barrier to grass fires. It took me a few years to learn that!

Have a great week everyone.

Dawn

Comments (34)