SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

December 2017, Week 2, General Garden and Life Discussion

December 10th! Week 2! This busy month is flying by already.

Not much gardening is going on now, especially after this recent cold spell of the last few days.

I noticed that the cold and the wind really knocked off a lot of the leaves still clinging to many trees here. There's still posts oaks, some red oaks and native wild cherries (understory trees in the dense woodland areas) with leaves clinging to them, as well as a few leaves on the woolly buckthorn (aka chittamwood) trees.

In my windowsill mini Christmas garden, the second amaryllis plant opened its first flower this morning. It is a mostly white variety with subtle red striping in the center of the petals. The red one with subtle white striping that bloomed last week now has a total of 5 open blooms on a total of two flower stalks. It isn't much as gardens go, but at least there's something in bloom indoors---there's certainly nothig blooming outdoors at this point. The once beautiful red-flowered poinsettia we bought in mid-November is starting to look ratty now, largely because Pumpkin insists upon attacking it, knocking it over, thumping the bracts with his paws, etc. Why does he do it? Well, I think he has found out the quickest way to get my attention is to attack a plant. I may buy a new poinsettia today and place a steel cage around it to protect it from the cat. Well, I'm just kidding about the steel cage. Maybe I'm just kidding.

That's all that is new here. Fires continue. Yesterday was exhausting. Hopefully today will be better.

Fire danger is elevated to near critical this week in much of OK, particularly the further west your location in the state.

What's new where you are?

Comments (68)