SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_23832246943

Help me arrange my new sectional/living room

HU-23832246943
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

After stumbling upon the only sofa I've ever had feelings for, I bought it. Four pieces of a sectional. I absolutey love the sectional, but I can't figure out how to arrange it. I know I prefer at least 3 pieces in a corner/L shape. The struggle with my living room is that there is a main walkway from the front door to the dining room, as well as as french doors to the office/study (The office/study also has a door to my bedroom). For the past several years I've lived here, I've struggled to make the living room cohesive, as the section behind the walkway from front door/dining room is rather deep, so tends to feel "cut off" from the rest of the room unless something substantial/important is there, to help draw attention. I'm trying to draw it all together.

I should add that it's not very important for me that all seats have a good view of the TV. It's usually only me or my SO at home, and I can move furniture to suit the need if company is coming over.

(Current rug is 8x10. A 9x12 rug is probably needed, but that's for after this dilemma :) )

Sectional Pieces

• Left Arm Facing - 50" wide x 45" deep
  • Right Arm Facing - 50" wide x 45" deep
  • 2 Side Lounges (able to connect to the "arm" of the LAF/RAF pieces, but can also be standalone) - 50" from arm to end x 43"

Here is a photo of the rough measurements of the room, as well as some photos of different arrangements/photoshop that I've tried with 3 of the pieces. The 4th piece (second side lounge) is still in its packaging.

Not the connected L shape I find most comfortable, but helps draw the room together by having something substantial on the far side of the room. TV would be in the bottom left corner of photo.

Another angle of the "Two Sofa" layout, without photoshopping in the second lounge. TV would be in corner to the right.

Demonstrating that I could pull one lounge forward as wanted/needed, and layout would still look acceptable. This is probably the most "balanced" feeling of them all, and I like that it would have a very cozy feel in the winter. TV would be in bottom left.

Lounge chair was very comfortable in that part of the room. TV would be in the corner to the right of the viewer. The front lounge would be into the dining room walkway a little bit, but I think it would be acceptable. Space between the lounges feels empty, other than needing a little table. Maybe the tall Moroccan wall hanging could go there? No animals were harmed in this photo XD

L shape that allows easy walking to office/study. The room feels empty. There is space for the 4th piece to the right of the side lounge and would still allow a decent walkway along the wall, or I could put the walkway between these 3 pieces + the second side lounge. I also tried pulling the sectional out from the wall to give walking space all around it, but the room still felt awkward. The TV side of the room feels empty. TV is in bottom left of this photo.

Same arrangement, view from office/study doors. I could set the 4th piece to the left as part of the L, or maybe as a standalone lounge where the dog bed is, which might help balance the room out.

Comments (12)