SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_401949761

Need help understanding hardwood floor refinishing norms

HU-401949761
2 years ago

Is the following process ideal (or even acceptable) for a professional to use to refinish my 20 year old hardwood floors (Bruce, mixed oaks)?:

1. Sand/shave
  2. Spray with DENATURED ALCOHOL
  3. (NO pre-stain)
  4. Wipe on oil-based Minwax Wood Finish and IMMEDIATELY wipe off -- i.e. NOT letting the stain sit/soak in for at least fime minutes per Minwax's directions
  5. Allow TWO hours drying time -- i.e. NOT "for a minimum of 4-6 hours (dry time may be extended dut to high humidity)" per Minwax's directions
  6. Apply first coat of water-based polyurethane (Bona Mega Extra Matte). (Yes, using more than one line of products)
  7. Allow 3 hours drying time
  8. Buff
  9. Apply second coat of water-based polyurethane
  10. Allow overnight drying time

Help. The work by the subcontractor my contractor sent in to refinish my floors resulted in white marks all over the floor. The process above is slightly different from the one he used the first time (he *immediately* applied Bona Natural Seal after the staining step last time), but is otherwise the same.

I need to decide asap whether or not to trust this contractor/subcontractor and their processes to finish my floors after a failed first attempt.

Comments (4)