SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

Tomato woes -- So much time and trouble, such a disappointment

dirtygardener
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Soooo....every year I say I'm not going to grow regular tomatoes anymore, and every year I grow a couple of Cherokee Purples. Every year they let me down. Last year, I decided to try to keep one alive over the winter, and plant it out early, so I did. Put it into a 5-gallon bucket with fresh soil and it grew like mad, bloomed like crazy, put out a few fruits -- then it got a virus. I managed to get 6 very small, even tiny, fruits off of it, and one was large enough for a nice tomato sandwich, but just not worth it.

I put my name in for a UF community garden plot this fall, thinking I just needed a sunny spot to grow decent tomatoes, but then got a notice that we aren't allowed to plant tomatoes due to a virus they had in the soil this year. I think maybe I was not meant to ever have a decent home grown tomato again. Perhaps they'll let us grow them in buckets on our plot. All I really need is the sun, not the soil.

On the other hand, my Everglades never let me down. I thought I wasn't going to have one this year, because I didn't save seeds, and the ones that came up early in the pot got transplanted into six-packs, but died. Luckily, as usual (I should have trusted Ma Nature), some volunteered around the pot and I managed to keep them alive. I still have some I need to put into the ground, and the one in the bucket is bearing like mad.

I have one NOID tomato that I planted from seeds from store-bought cherry tomatoes. It somehow survived being stuck back in the back of the garden in a six-pack, and I found it this spring. It was tagged "Black and red grape," but it has a couple of fruits and they don't look like grape tomatoes, so it should be interesting to see what it turns out to be. I love garden surprises.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths