SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

Monster tomato sale a big disappointment

californian
15 years ago

I just went to the Fullerton Arboretum's annual monster tomato and pepper sale, billed as the biggest plant sale west of the Mississippi. What a disappointment. They did have almost three hundred varieties of tomato and pepper plants at $2.75 each. Trouble is the tomato plants were so small and stunted looking, only about three inches tall, with almost no leaves, and what they did have were dried up and withered looking. What a shame as the volunteers probably spent a lot of time planting the seedlings. However the pepper plants were a different story. They were mostly all good size and healthy looking. Hard to believe they came from the same place. They said the tomatoes were stunted because it was too cold and they would get better when it warms up, but that is not true. I live in the same town and my tomato plants have been sitting outside for the past three weeks all day and night, and my plants look healthy and stocky and deep green. But people were buying them. I even passed up a Mariannas Peace because the plant looked so pitiful. Actually their tomato plants looked like they were suffering from salt buildup in the potting soil. Thats why I collect rain water to water my seedlings with as I used to have a similar problem when I used our hard tap water to water them. I should have taken my excess plants their and sold them. They would have sold like hotcakes if put side by side with the plants they were selling.

Comments (3)