SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glen3a

Arctic Beauty Kiwi - rate of growth? Disappointed

glen3a
18 years ago

Anyone else grow this vine? Is it just me, or is this "fast growing" vine pretty slow growing?

I planted one two years ago. It is finally starting to "branch out", but it sort of resembles a 2 by 2 foot scraggly shrub. This is actually three summers of growth. Mind you, it's suffered a bit from chlorosis (clay soil, very wet earlier this summer). Not to mention no sign of this fabulous pink/white/green color that's suppose to appear after 2 or 3 years. Maybe that's the problem, I am letting it branch out when perhaps I should control the growth to one main branch?

My main reason for asking is that I finished rebuilding a fence and now have a spot for a couple of vines. I am debating on planting clematis or arctic beauty kiwi. If, however, the arctic beauty kiwi isn't going to make much of an impact for many years, I might stick with clematis.

Actually, I have both and they are currently sitting in pots. Don't ask, I guess I often buy plants as backups, or if they are cheap on sale. But, it's time to get things planted, I am tired of watering pots.

I also have actinidia arguta kiwi on one side of the house. It's starting to take off in growth, but I wish I could say the same for the 'arctic beauty kiwi'. It's just that I thought I read it's a fast growing vine that will spread and give you the jungle-like effect in no time.

Glen

Comments (4)