SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
t_bird_gw

tomato bed trouble with bad soil

t-bird
13 years ago

Hey tomato lovers!

Here is my tomato tale of woe.

I was so excited about the new season I started my toms off early from seed - 21 different varieties - I was so psyched!

Then we had a fence delay - and delay - and delay - and I couldn't build the bed till it was done. So my toms went in late - and pot bound. I read that they do okay with being pot bound once you transplant....

Well I finally got to build the bed, and purchased a yard of soil for it - garden soil a mix of top soil, pine fines, and compost - recommended for veggies....

Well after all were planted into the bed, found out that the more I watered them, the more compact the soil got - with a smooth, resistant to water surface.....very much clay!

The tom haven't been growing much - or producing new flowers/fruit - they had some going in though.

I gave 2 applications of some diluted seaweed emulsion, mulched with last falls leaves, then put 2 inches of muchroom compast on top as soon as I was able to get some......

Any other advice to get these tom to producing for me? The soil is terrible and I'm so upset and what a waste of money! I can get it into good shape for next year -but anything to hlep these toms for this summer?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022