What kind of "stuff" do you like in ice cream?

plllog

The rum raisin thread had a lot of comments about textures in ice cream. I wonder what we all think of them in general. What do you like in ice cream? What don't you like? What circumstances work for things you like or don't?

SaveComment31Like
Comments (31)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amylou321

I like oreos or oreo like cookies in it the most. Fudge. Chocolate chunks. Cookie dough or brownie chunks. My favorite is chocolate ice cream with all of the above. I like chocolate.

Save    
neely

I quite like finding soft bits in ice cream like the previously mentioned rum and raisin but they must be soft. Similarly bits of frozen strawberries or bits of mango. Don’t like hard chunky bits like nuts Some Liqueurs and always coffee I find are satisfying

Save    
Olychick

A nice thick thread of caramel sauce.

2 Likes Save    
Fun2BHere

Shaved bittersweet chocolate in vanilla gelato or ice cream.

Save    
cooper8828

I'm with Olychick on this one.

Save    
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Coffee, nuts, caramel, fudge, all those things coated in cocoa or sugar, ribbons of all that, candy bars, good chocolate, marshmallows, mint

Fruit ice cream is okay sometimes

Tillamook coffee almond fudge is my current favorite

Save    
annie1992

I'm boring, I just like plain vanilla. Nothing in it and nothing on it, unless I can get an affogato.

Annie

1 Like Save    
seagrass_gw Cape Cod

Not a fan of ice cream for some reason. DH loves it so he buys his own and it stays in the freezer safe from me. I don't even like a scoop of vanilla next to a slice of warm apple pie - but then, I don't like apple pie either. Call me defective.

Save    
HU-455869934

I’m not a fan of semi-solid stuff hidden “in” ice cream. Bits of fudge in Rocky Road, okaaaay. Now, if you want to put visible stuff “on” ice cream, like sprinkles, nuts, berries, shaved chocolate, Magic Shell, M&Ms, then I’m all for that! But I don’t want to be surprised.

John HU Liu

Save    
Islay Corbel

Firstly, I want ice cream that's been made with lots of egg yolks and cream so the mouth feel is silky and delicious. Vanilla, chocolate, strawberry.....i'll eat any! I hate ice cream that has that watery feel. As for stuff, love mint choc chip best.

Save    
HU-455869934

I’m actually a gelato snob . . .

John HU Liu

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

Maple BACON bits

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Caramel and sea salt and Snickers are probably my favorites but I don't recall ever eating ice cream that I didn't like. I know there are some that I would never buy or order though.

Save    
foodonastump

Nuts are my main turn-off. I love nuts but not in my ice cream. Preferably not in my quickbreads either. Absolutely not in my brownies.

That’s not to say I don’t like nuts. I love them, all different kinds. I’m just particular about how they are incorporated into food.

Save    
bbstx

I’m with Annie1992. I prefer plain vanilla ice cream, but occasionally I’ll eat BR Pralines and Cream. I really dislike ice cream with icy bits of fruit, but that seems to occur most frequently in homemade ice cream. My grandmother used to make peach ice cream and strawberry ice cream. Icy chunks of fruit in both.

Save    
annie1992

Seagrass, you can sit with me, because I don't care much for apple pie either, it's my least favorite.

FOAS, that's how I am. I like nuts, but not in brownies or quick breads. I do want them in fudge and some multigrain yeast breads.

Yeah, I know I'm weird, I like nuts, but not in baked goods. I like chocolate and I like milk, but not chocolate milk or pudding.

Annie

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

It's more about what I don't care for - and it looks like I'm not alone 😄

Hard waxy pieces of chocolate are my pet peeve - frozen chocolate has no taste, and doesn't melt easily when your mouth is cold from the ice cream - what a waste!

I like nuts (butter pecan!), fruits, fudge but have never tried pretzel pieces. I don't mind most chunks - as long as they're widely spaced out and large. I hate it when there are numerous little hard bits that spoil the smooth texture, IMO.

Save    
mxk3 z5b_MI

I'm not fussy about flavor or add-ins as long as it's good quality ice-cream -- I can't stand the cheap "gummy" stuff. I see there's a mint chocolate chip lover up-thread -- me, too! Black cherry is another favorite.

Save    
bcskye

I do like most flavors of ice cream, but really chocolaty chocolate is my favorite. Nuts either in it or on it. Mint chocolate chip is also a favorite.

Madonna

Save    
foodonastump

Yes to mint chocolate chip - specifically Turkey Hill. I like their ice cream in general, but really like how the chocolate is shaved in rather than chunks.

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I have the same issue with big chunks of hard frozen fruit and big chocolate chunks. No nuts but love them otherwise...never cared for walnuts in banana bread or baking except a few cookie recipes. Not a fan of apple pie. Especially 'mile high'.

The cherries in CherryGarcia were good and tender but the chocolate giant chunks were not.

Fresh strawberries with a dollop of cream, heaven.

Dad loves the chocolate covered chopped pretzel ice cream. It's good. Stays crunchy. A bit salty.

I've become obsessed with making baby ice cream sandwiches. I've used the thin ginger Ikea cookies, then rolled in chopped pecans, the edge only. Trying a recipe using almond flour and cocoa for the cookie...gluten-free-dairy-free...no spoons or bowls need for a big BBQ...and popsicles.

Most memorable goes to the black licorice at a well know creamery in Alberta Canada...I was on my way to LakeLouise or maybe Banf. Did not taste artificial like a good vanilla bean with flecks.

Save    
plllog

We didn't have formal desserts when I was a kid other than fruit. My father sometimes had a cookie. There was always ice cream in the house however, which usually came out mid-afternoon. My father loved ice cream. :) So do I. I usually don't keep it around. If it isn't, I'll eat a veggie popsicle. :) Because I'll easily eat too much ice cream if given the opportunity.

So here's my picky list: I used to be a lumps hater, but when we were kids, my father gave us cones and lumps don't lick well.

I still don't like hard lumps. Not those big frozen hard chocolate pieces. Not frozen hard nuts. Not icy rock hard strawberry ice cubes.

As an adult, eating out of a custard dish or similar, I do like some kinds of lumps if they're slightly different than the ice cream in texture, but not rock hard, remaining long after the ice cream has melted in one's mouth. Like non-ice-cubey berries or bits of fleshy fruit, like peaches. Chocolate flake-chips rather than lumps. Nuts that have softened a little in the custard. Even some crunchy mix-ins. But I don't have to have any of these.

I've always liked a ribbon of syrup or fudge swirled in the ice cream if it's not oversweet. Most of the time caramel is too sweet. A little goes a long way.

OTOH, I'm not big on sundaes. Too goopy. I don't like drippy soft ice cream. I want it cold! I like berries or fruit with plain frozen yoghurt, where the sweetness is welcome, but if I'm turning to syrups it means the ice cream must be pretty darned bland.

Exception: If you need to put on weight fast, there's fudge ripple ice cream with Kahlua. :) Straight out of the bottle, not syrup. It makes the ice cream melt faster but it's really delicious.

And I do like different flavors together. Always have, harkening back to the two scoops treat at the drugstore when I was a kid.

Save    
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

While I love texture in my ice cream, chunks of all kinds of stuff, occasionally I go to QT with some kids and get the $0.79 vanilla cone and it is delicious

Save    
Elizabeth

I like chocolate bits in the mint or black cherry ice cream. Not a fan of nuts.

( I see my name is back...)

Save    
lizbeth-gardener

My favorite ice cream is probably mint chocolate chip and FOS funny you mention Turkey Hill. I was with my grandkids one day and their mom asked me to pick up mint chocolate chip, but to get a different brand because they didn't like the size of the chips-too big and hard. So I picked up three different brands and Turkey Hill was the winner. I still prefer it myself. I don't really have an issue with stuff in my ice cream if it's not too hard. I'm with John Liu though-I prefer a good gelato, especially remember fondly the hazelnut ones we had in Italy!

Save    
Sooz

I do enjoy crunched up Oreos, and sometimes, mini chocolate chips. If I'm ordering from Cold Stone, I get French Vanilla ice cream, with the following mix-ins: toasted almonds, peanut butter, caramel, and marshmallow creme. Oh yum! Roll me out the door!

Save    
artemis_ma

For me, no nuts, raisins, cookie bits (whether raw dough or cooked and crumbled).

Fudge is fine (butterscotch, chocolate, for instance). Chocolate chips, mocha chips, good. Swirls of REAL fruit work... I've had strawberry or pumpkin swirls in ice cream to good effect, from decent ice cream parlors. Peanut butter, especially combined with some sort of chocolate is very tasty. Coffee!!

I dislike ice cream cones...there is no way to eat those so the taste of the ice cream itself is your last taste. Very occasionally I'll ask for a sundae, but usually only if there's some good quality hot chocolate sauce topped with a very small spritz of whipped cream. At home, I might chop up fresh strawberries and top with that. Once I had home-dehydrated strawberries that I ground up in a coffee grinder, and topped my icecream with that.

Save    
bpath

I love ribbons of chocolate sauce, but not too thick or fudgy. Maybe tiny chocolate chips like in mint chip. My favourite is one scoop of chocolate chip with one scoop of mint chocolate chip. No fruit! No nuts. No soft or squishy stuff like marshmallows.

Save    
plllog

So, for texture lovers, I just experienced Ben & Jerry's Half Baked, which is chocolate and vanilla ice cream, "brownie batter" and "chocolate chip cookie dough" chunks. The flavors of the chocolate and vanilla are clear, the brownie stuff is fudgy goo which hardens to a stiff gummy texture, and the "cookie dough" is a little cookie-like sandy, marble sized, but easy to bite through. There also seems to be a little crunchier brownie sand, but that may be the supposed chocolate chips. It's all very textural, but nothing actually hard or very unlickable.

Save    
annie1992

plllog, that's one of Ashley's favorites, but she likes lots of "stuff" in her ice cream. If she goes to our local Culver's, she'll order their "cement mixer", with chocolate ice cream, brownie pieces, cookie dough, peanut butter fudge and hot fudge topping with whipped cream. She always offers a "taste". I always turn her down, LOL.

I'm not a big ice cream consumer anyway, as the cold makes my teeth ache. Dairy Queen soft serve isn't terrible to eat, but I'll usually take a scoop of ice cream and stir it until it's soft before I even try to eat it.

Annie

Save    
agmss15

I have oddly specific preferences. No fruit. Not a fan of mint or caramel. I do like nuts and chocolate. But vanilla or coffee are my favorites. And I do love HD Vanilla Swiss Almond.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Color Summer Color Combos: 8 Refreshing Ice Cream Palettes
July 19 is National Ice Cream Day, so scoop up these delectable combinations for sumptuous interiors
Full Story
Home Tech Ice Cubes Are Obsolete! New Technology Is Way Cooler
Chill drinks the smarter way than using messy old ice, with these new home tech solutions
Full Story
Kitchen Design Today’s Coffee Stations Have All Kinds of Perks
Some of these features are so over the top that they will give you a jolt
Full Story