SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Bread rising times and possible adjustments

Lars
3 years ago

I recently watched ATK and they explained bread rising times, but I don't remember what they said. They explain the problems that will happen if the first rise is too long or too short and what will happen if they second rise is too long or too short. I've also seen this mentioned on Great British Bakeoff, but for some reason this technical information did not sink it. But I did decide that I should pay close attention to rising times and make sure that I did not let the dough rise for too long, as I have often let the dough rise longer than the recipe specified in the past.

One thing that did sink in from ATK was the tip to allow the bread dough to rest in the bowl, covered, for 30 minutes to allow the flour to hydrate and then finish kneading. This I've been doing, and I've noticed that my bread is rising more than I expected. Here's my last loaf, which is 100% whole wheat:

This loaf ended up being much larger than my previous loaves and larger than I expected. It is also lighter and softer and is therefore a bit more difficult to slice, plus it is too large for one sandwich and will not fit into a sandwich bag.

For this loaf, I combined all the ingredients in my stand mixer for about 8 minutes and then covered the mixer bowl and let the dough rest for 30 minutes to hydrate. Then I reattached the dough hook and kneaded it in the machine for a few minutes more without adding any ingredients. Then I let the dough rise for another 30 minutes, for a total of one hour for the first rise. I think I had been allowing the dough to rise for 1-1/2 hours for the first rise before. Next I formed the loaf and punched it down completely so that I could press it into the corners of the bread pan. The dough came only about halfway up the way (may 2/3), and I covered it loosely and let it rise for one hour. Then I started to preheat the oven to 400°, and so the dough had a few more minutes to rise before it went it. I sprayed the top with some water, but it in the oven, and turned the temperature down to 375° and let it bake for 35 minutes. At that time, it was only about 198° internally, and so I put it back in for 5 minutes more and then took it out without measuring the temperature again, as I knew it would be done.

Why is the loaf rising so much? What are the best times for the dough to rise? I had never thought all that much about it until I saw on ATK that these times were critical, but now I'm not sure why they are.

Here are the bread ingredients that I used this time:

• 1 1/4 cups warm water
  • 2 tsp instant dry yeast
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 Tbsp powdered milk
  • 4 cups whole wheat flour (up to 4-1/4 cups, if needed)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt

Comments (8)