SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

OT: the true joys of gardening

Henry Mitchell rightly said that many of the joys of gardening aren't what you expect them to be, not the perfect blooms or the elegantly laid out beds (my examples), though these are deeply satisfactory. Take my bed of 'Mollis' peonies. Years ago I bought a couple of plants of 'Mollis', a European peony, a relative or form of P. officinalis. It's a pretty thing, early flowering, with single pink blooms. My handy book on peonies assured me that 'Mollis' is sterile. Well, guess what, mine seed generously, and make lots of new little plants. I don't know whether it might be a matter of different clones, or perhaps the author grows peonies in the UK, where plants sometimes don't ripen fruit because of the relative lack of summer heat. Anyway, I look forward to the ephemeral flowering every year, but, before that, I watch anxiously for weeks to see whether the fragile little babies from the year before will return--they always do--how many of them there are, how they're growing. Their bed is of quite poor soil, and they don't get watered or fertilized, or weeded much, but the colony grows. This has been going on for over a decade, and I haven't yet arrived at the realization of my fantasy, a bed of 'Mollis' blooms and foliage dancing in the sun, but we're getting there. The few days that they actually flower is really only a small part of the pleasure.

A good many years ago I bought an old sweet violet variety called 'Sulfurea'. It has a unique coloring: pale buffy apricot with a purple spur; form is typical sweet violet. It hung on for several years, was moved at least once, and in the last couple of years, to my regret, finally vanished definitively from the garden. But, in the propagating bed above where it had lived, I found two separate clumps of violets growing. Both of them were strikingly similar in appearance to 'Sulfurea', which doesn't look like any other violet I've ever seen, and I can say pretty confidently that they're offspring: two "daughters of 'Sulfurea'". Well, I was pleased. I took parts of both clumps, leaving the rest as a safeguard in case I lost the transplants, and moved them down the a patch of woodland where I have a few garden hellebores growing, thinking the violets would pair well with the pink-mauve-pale green shades of the hellebores: they do. I go and admire them every day.

I have dozens of these kinds of little projects, and for me they make up much of the fascination of gardening.

Your projects?

Comments (11)