SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandon_garner91

Out of curiosity, how many/who is left?

last month
last modified: last month

The thread of Paul Barden missing got me to thinking about about all the people who have been on different versions of rose related forums over the years that I have been growing roses. (The first rose related forum that I ever paid attention to was rosarianscorner.net)

There have been many things, from disagreements, to website mismanagement to death, that have removed people from the rose forum that I follow, I know that there are other forums, I just dont have time to follow multiple. I recognize fewer and fewer people who were big contributers, meaning constantly posting instead of just reading like I did/do, of past versions; and it got me thinking and wondering how many and who is left. I am hesitant to name those I recognize from the past in case I fail to mention someone and unintentionally hurt anyones feelings.

I do hope that Paul Barden does come back at some point in time. I feel like with each prrson’s departure, for whatever reason, the forums wind up with a bigger hole than what could have been anticipated.

Comments (72)

• last month

What happened to some folks I knew from my part of the world:

Carla lost her house and gardens to economics

Jodijodi died suddenly of a heart attack

Denae moved to Nashville, still has roses but has found orchids fit her available time better.

Amazin Dirt moved to Lebanon TN and has a full time job.

MichaelG was still gardening two years ago and showed up here briefly

Too often physical moves make establishing a second or third or fourth garden just a hole lot harder.

Brandon Garner thanked stillanntn6b
  • last month

I miss Karl Bapst (rosenut)... We would talk to each other on the phone and discuss roses...I told him one time I got upset when I see damaged rose leaves from insects.. Karl told me, then close your eyes when you get close...lol...Never forget that...lol

Brandon Garner thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • Related Discussions

Asparagus - how many stalks should be left to grow wil

Q

Comments (7)
    The stalks are(were) very good size. some of them bigger than the ones they sell in the store. I thought I should let the first one grow into fern so it feeds the later ones but reading your post, I realize I was wrong. This morning I saw another one that was the size of a pencil - pretty thin compared to the ones that came out last month but I cut it off and ate it and it was delicious. I think I will do what you suggested forpityssake and cut down the grown fern. They are the largest I have seen. More than 5 feet tall and still growing. My asparagus plants are righgt next to compost area and gets mostly indirect sun because of the fence on two sides except during summer it gets may be 2 hours of direct sun.
    ...See More

Curioser and curioser!

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Jen, thanks for the warm welcome! :) I know what you mean about lighting and room. The only windows at my house at north and south facing, and two of the three north-facing rooms are other people's bedrooms so I can't take them over! And oh, the hoya flowers are heavenly. Mine have yet to bloom, but I ran across a site with a lot of photos. Just makes me green with envy! ;) Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya flower photos galore!
    ...See More

Just out of curiosity...

Q

Comments (4)
    I think most of us are locals. Our market requires us to farm within 75 miles, which I think is a very wide radius. Luckily I am only 8 miles away. The furthest vendor drives about 45 miles but he has a unique product (non-hormone and open grazed frozen meats and eggs) and a vast following. There is not another market nearer to him and people drive up to 50 miles from every direction to buy from him. There are 3 other markets I could sell at farther away but they are all on the same day. They also do not allow anyone but the farmer to be the vendor. I use my extended cab truck, with a long bed using a tarp and elastic mesh cover to keep stuff from flying out. Most of the other vendors for our small market drive SUV's and set up a 10x10 tent halfway over it. There is one guy who has a flatbed truck and assorted boxes tied down (he has a big produce farm). One vendor tows a small trailer behind his small truck. It really depends on what and how much, you will be offering. In the spring when I sell plants, the truck bed is stuffed. In the summer when I sell baked goods and jams, the bed just holds the tent, standing signs, tables and chairs. The cab holds the boxes of sweets and milk crates hold the jars so I can lock them up when I stop for lunch on the way home. Nancy
    ...See More

How many of you use the left lane to drive in?

Q

Comments (42)
    I found this list of "Keep Right" laws. Don't know how official it is. The laws do not appear to be consistant across all of the states. This at the bottom. The Uniform Vehicle Code states: Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ... Note that this law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic. The 60 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone where everybody else is going 65 MPH must move right. Contrast Alaska's rule, 13 AAC 002.50, allowing vehicles driving at the speed limit to use the left lane, and Colorado rev. stat. 42-4-1103, prohibiting blocking the "normal and reasonable" movement of traffic. (Enforcement for failing to keep right while at or above the speed limit is variable. Toledo police have ticketed truck drivers for driving at the 60 MPH speed limit in the left lane. Police looking for criminal activity are aware of the "keep right" law and will use it as an excuse to stop a suspicious car. On the other hand, a New York judge announced that he would not convict drivers for blocking speeding traffic, People v. Ilieveski, 175 Misc. 2d 943; 670 N.Y.S.2d 1004 (Monroe County N.Y. 1998), and most police find speeding easier and more profitable to enforce.)" My state has a lot of drug trafficking. I suspect the right hand rule is probably enforced more for speeders and suspicious activity. It would hard to enforce otherwise because the limited access type roads tend to have more construction and traffic. Someone who routinely practices honking and flashing lights would probably be reported by other drivers for road rage. Here is a link that might be useful: Keep Right Laws
    ...See More
  • last month

Full time job should not be an excuse for not to grow roses and come here!:)

Brandon Garner thanked elenazone6
  • last month

I still miss Lynette (Oldrosarian) terribly. We had just struck up a real friendship outside the forum a couple of years before she passed. She was one of the few I've spoken to by phone (with a three hour time difference!), not just email. She was a fount of rose knowledge, especially concerning climbers. I grow a couple that came as cuttings from her: Goldener Olymp, and Dr. J. H. Nicholas, both very rare to non-existent in commerce. She had planned to send me so many more. She could be soooo funny when she wasn't fuming about How-uzzlezz, and sometimes even when she was, lol. She endeared herself in so many ways, and I still can't read her old posts without getting teary-eyed.

Then there are so many of the old guard from California that have passed. We've lost so much hands-on experience. It's alarming that it doesn't seem like there is any new blood coming along to replace them. The loss of rose knowledge will only accelerate, I fear. There are a limited supply of Jeris, Kims and Pauls. I had hopes for Christopher (AquaEyes): memory like a steel trap, passionate for all things rose, eye for detail, and articulate as well. But, alas, Christopher has left the forums, as well.

Then there's Nik (theGreek), Sara-Ann (Merlena) and so many others who we can't even find out what has happened to them. I miss them all.

EDIT: No one but me would ever know, but I need to correct something. Lynnette sent me 'St Nicholas', the modern gallica, not 'Dr. J.H. Nicholas', the climber. 'Dr J. H. Nicholas' is important to the story, though. Dr JHN is the rose Lynnette ID'd for me, after years of me searching. It had been gifted to me as 'Dr Nichols', but there is no such rose. NO ONE could ID this wonderful rose, but Lynnette agreed to take a look at some photos, so I emailed them to her, and she replied with her ID within five minutes of receiving the photos. This was the beginning of our friendship.

Brandon Garner thanked fig_insanity Z7b E TN
  • last month

I miss Ingrid too, and Lisa and Cori Ann who was a total kick too. I know climate change and health challenges took their toll.

Brandon Garner thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • last month

As a long time lurker from a few years before Gardenweb was acquired and who has learned so much from folks on this forum, some who are still here and some who are now gone I just want to say thank you. For those of you who that are still around you are reaching more folks than you can know.

Brandon Garner thanked Heather RR (PNW 8b)
  • last month

I am sorry to hear about the loss of kindred spirits and old friends; it is so sad, and I pray there is consolation in warm memories of times shared. I’ve also lurked more so than posted, but I genuinely don't know what I would have done without this community in navigating rose care. Having moved to the US from another country where spraying, daily garden checks, disease, and pests were—and kind of still are—just unheard of for home gardeners (I had quite literally never seen an aphid IN MY LIFE before moving to the Midwest, let alone blackspot or RRD), I can attest that I was losing my mind before I found this forum. I cannot thank you all enough for being so generous with your time, expertise, and for just being a grounding presence. I promise we relative newbies are paying it forward however we can (e.g., EMG training, yapping on about signs of RRD to whoever will listen, etc.); just please don’t go anywhere 😔

Brandon Garner thanked SamuellaZ6a
  • last month

Thank you for this post! I have been here for the last 4 or 5 years, mostly as a reader but with occasional posts. I am grateful for this forum, as it is one of my only links to a community of people who know, grow, and appreciate old roses. When I went back to work full-time a couple of years ago (work that includes a fair amount of travel), I began checking the forum less frequently. Part of me is a bit shy about posting because I don't have the level of wide experiencer or expertise that many on here do, however, I know that it takes all of us to make the forum. I do have an upcoming post n the wings, and some ideas for others...Thanks again, Brandon!

Brandon Garner thanked RedBird_7a EastTN
  • last month

I do remember you Susan, along with your battle with oak root fungus.

Old friends:

Luanne (LA) died a couple of years ago. She battled Parkinson's for years.

Her good friend and mine, Carol Markell, known as Bluesibe, died suddenly a couple of years before that.

We also lost Carol Meyer from South Carolina, known here as Carolina, also a good friend.

Cindi from Texas, she of the wonderful rambling stories that charmed us all, is still living as far as I know, but her interest shifted away from roses after a series of misfortunes wiped out her garden.

Jon of Wessex, a formerly gardener at Mottisfont Abbey, has pretty much pulled back from social media, but is living quietly on the grounds of a lovely semi-public rose garden.

Pamela from Mendocino still has her enchanted hillside garden, and if anything grows even more roses, but like some others, has retreated a bit from social media.

Once upon a time these and other Gardenweb friends used to gather in person. I have met them all, and others still active here, at various rose events. (You know who you are!)

Brandon Garner thanked Rosefolly
  • last month

Hi all, Like a couple other posters here, I have been lurking/occasionally posting on this board for four years when I started my first garden in Brooklyn at age 33. In that time, I have not only learned how to grow roses (starting having no experience), I now can say that I am the proud mother to 62 different varieties (76 bushes!), including many antique varieties, in my Brooklyn-English Cottage garden. It brings so much joy to the neighborhood . I LOVE learning about the old varieties and their uniqueness. Finding this forum inspired me to go to England on my own in 2022, visiting remarkable gardens, including D. Austins private collection of species roses! It is now my life-long passion and am so grateful to everyone over the years for posting all their knowledge and beyond and looking forward to contributing more! -Sally

Brandon Garner thanked Westminster_7NYC
  • last month

Sheila,

Who can forget Lisa, and also Cori Ann. We watched her transform her property into quite a garden. It looked to me like she grew magnificent roses emerging from little more than tiny borders of walkways. Her soil must have been super good and deep. It seems Cori Ann fell off of the edge of the earth. I know she had job responsibilities that seemed to arise quickly, but for how often she posted and provided a multitude of photos of her garden in progress for us to enjoy...then disappear. Ah, change is the most reliable constant.

Mister Moses.

Brandon Garner thanked Moses, Pitt PA, cold W & hot-humid S, z5
  • 29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

This thread warmed my heart. It’s so nice to read of the connections that form through our shared interest in roses! I do think it gets difficult in many ways to sustain relationships of all kinds over time. Hope to experience some happy discussions here as the years go by!

Brandon Garner thanked jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal
  • 18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

I started to follow Gardenweb and this forum in 2012 when we moved in our home and I started growing roses. In recent years I haven’t been active, since I am busy with my three teenager boys. I followed Melisa from Italy, since I live in Slovenia in similar climate conditions, I am grateful to this forum, since I discovered tea roses here. In our country they are rather unknown, the climate is too harsh. Luckily, they thrive in my microclimate- I live 30 min drive from the sea. I will try to be more active here and I hope Paul returnes. His Mel’ s heritage has been on my wish list for a very long time. it it’s not available in Europe.

Brandon Garner thanked Soncna_22
  • 18 days ago

I do appreciate all the rose support and advice from everyone on this forum. Enabling, yes, some of my favorite roses are from recommendations and comments from this forum. Most recently, a new addition Chandos Beauty I received Friday. Thank you!

Brandon Garner thanked kentucky_rose zone 6
  • 18 days ago

I just received a long email from my friend Trish (Titian on the forum) who gardens near the ocean in Sydney, Australia. She's fine and has some new roses coming, but they often have a struggle in her climate, not to mention neighbor's trees. She's been growing some new camellias, and has an area in her landscape growing natives, which she doesn't sound excited about (sorry, Trish). When I reply to her, I'll check to see if she is planning on posting much on this forum. She was having Houzz problems, I know. More later.

You're welcome, Kentucky Rose, and please post photos of your new Chandos Beauty. Come see us on the seasonal thread. We need to change to a summer thread, I think. Diane

Brandon Garner thanked Diane Brakefield
  • 17 days ago

Diane, thank you and will love to post some pictures of Chandos Beauty…it will be a while though…🌹

• 17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

I too miss all of the folk remembered above. I became a member of the forum about 2001, long before Houzz. Some of the others that I recall with great fondness:

Patrick, aka "Moyneux" - the forums all time best rose "enabler" and a ray of precocious sunshine. He and Campanualla were two of the most entertaining folk on the forum, they could just crack me up sometimes.

When I moved east and decided to grow roses in a cold climate, I sought advice here and was often helped and mentored by other zone pushing folk like Anne Cecelia, Nipstress and Riku. Some of us even ended up doing some informal rose trials and creating a hardiness list for cold zoners. I ended up after a few years with a rather rare cold zone rose garden that was quite pleasing.

And then there was my firm friend John.Ca. John and I have collaborated for many years on trying to preserve rare and garden worthy roses that fall our of commerce. My project at Summerland is in its final finishing phase and I owe a lot to John and his wife Sharron who have worked so hard to make it possible. John and Sharron are now going through some downsizing and changes, but are still growing roses.

Paul also played a hand in the Summerland project and we now have a significant number of his creations in our Public Garden collection. Sheila who is still very active, but has been a great supporter. The forum has fueled and "enabled" my own passion for roses for decades. Thanks everyone for this wonderful community of passionate rosarians.

The Antique Roses Forum has been and is a force that keeps our passion for roses going in many ways that we often don't know about or comprehend.

Cheers, Rick

Brandon Garner thanked Rideau Rose Lad
  • 17 days ago

Following up on Rick, I too have been on the forum since 2001 or thereabouts, when I bought my house. I used to be Jaspermplants but somehow my name got changed by Houzz (or whoever) and I haven't bothered to change it back since I seldom post but regularly read postings here. I had always been interested in roses before moving into my house (had lived in apartments or condos before) but fell in love with old roses thanks to this forum. Particularly I fell in love with tea roses and as I live in the Phoenix area, they will grow here. I will always be grateful to this forum for that introduction as I hadn't heard about them before coming here. I also love bourbons and some will do pretty well here. In the past few years, as it has gotten beyond hot here and our summer rains have diminished, it has been harder to keep my beloved roses alive in the summer but I keep at it.

I do remember Patrick as one who was very knowledgable and Jeri, of course, and a few others I can't remember who were electronic "mentors" to me. And, most importantly, I was here during the Vintage Gardens days (and have their wonderful catalog!). Those were the days!

I am not pleased with the way social media has taken over and drowned out a lot of sense and good information, but I hang in here because I love old roses more than anything. Here's to those "olden days" (looking at you Vintage!).

Brandon Garner thanked HU-712391181
  • 17 days ago

I have been posting here for more than 20 years, though mostly on the PNW forum. I've only recently begun to grow roses and have much to learn. Ran across an old thread the other day about Heronswood closing and there were many folks who were regular posters back then, but who I never see any more. It is the nature of time that people will come and go, but it's still sad when favorites stop posting.

Still I see many new posters and as someone up thread said, I learn much more from all of you than I can contribute. Thanks for that.

SB (once known as juniorballoon, I graduated :o) )

Brandon Garner thanked SeniorBalloon
  • 17 days ago

Is Nipstress still on here? I loved reading her posts.

• 17 days ago

She sure is!!! But, I hope she chimes in. She has been a wealth of information to me...extremely detailed in her teaching, which I appreciate, and a very special, kind, good hearted person to cherish. I will let her say/write more.

Mister Moses

• 17 days ago

Does anybody remember Siri Amrit from New Mexico. Her husband was a teacher. She is another Forum-ite who had a tremendously positive impact on my rose life and life in general. She posted during Robert Stewart's (aka. Spike Hernandez), tenure as 'moderator,' of the old version of the Roses Forum (not under current Houzz).

Mister Moses

• 17 days ago

Siri should be remembered for her one woman crusade to save a hummingbird breeding ground.

As I remember it, she and her husband were living at a storage facility where they were responsible for the security. An adjacent (?) motel had a magnificent hedge that bloomed and Sirit had watched it for several years. Just before breeding season and the arrival of hundreds of hummingbirds, the people next door decided to prune the hedge to the ground.

Siri took to the internet. Gardenweb was one contact, bird groups, garden groups all heard about the proposed destructuction of habitat and were invited to write to the neighbor with their thoughts. She led a groundswell of opinions that saved the hedge and hummingbird habitat and got the pruning done at a time of the year when the birds had left.

And she loved roses, but I shall always remember the hummingbirds.

• 17 days ago

@Soncna_22 I've been interested in Slovenia especially since seeing it on The Amazing Race television program last year. Interesting that you can grow teas with ski mountains so close by.

Brandon Garner thanked Formerly RBEHS Z10A/S17
  • 17 days ago

I definitely remember Siri Amrit!

Brandon Garner thanked susan9santabarbara
  • 16 days ago

I am still around. I really miss Steve (aka Rosebud). He was my mentor but has been gone so long that I think he is deceased. I am used to Paul quitting the forum for years then suddenly coming back for a post or two. I loved sparring with Jeri, whom I respect so much that I can't put it in words. As for myself, I come and go. My tastes have definitely evolved. Gone are the days of Austins (English roses) and in are Doubled Knock Out and Earth-KInd cultivars that can stand up to the black spot. I've survived cancer and have forever quit the chemical sprays. I still keep a few MOLINEUX for old times sake but come August they will be as naked as plucked chickens.

Brandon Garner thanked Patrick-7a-MD
  • 16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

@Patrick-7a-MD I'm sorry you've had to battle cancer and am delighted you're still here to celebrate your victory! Congratulations! I do NOT blame you for avoiding chemicals. I learned eons ago from watching what was happening to friends and acquaintances who used them or were otherwise exposed to other chemicals. Those were "ends" I had no desire to face. Not disparaging anyone who sprays or uses systemics. Those are choices we each have to make for ourselves. Gardening and life in general, are so much easier when living with plants (and people!) who WANT to be with you, where you are, and provide as little "drama" as possible.

Brandon Garner thanked roseseek
  • 16 days ago

OMG, SO well said, roseseek ! Drama queens are the worst.

Brandon Garner thanked bart bart
  • 16 days ago

@bart bart ain't that the truth?! LOL! I have three female Toy Fox Terrors, each of whom believes SHE is "Alpha". Talk about "DRAMA"! That is more than enough!

• 15 days ago

I have been having trouble posting recently so I hope this will go through. People have busy lives and not everyone has the time and patience to deal with the foibles of houz. That's OK but I miss hearing from them. What about mariannese from Sweden (I think) who used to have her garden as part of a local openhouse? I was so impressed with her photos. What about Plumeria Girl aka Jin from Florida? I know she worked in the health profession and had children so I was impressed that she participated at all. What about Alana from S. Carolina? She grew a number of old once bloomers among other things and was the only other person beside myself that had Charles Walker Mignonette. I knew she fought health problems. Then there was a lady from rural Alabama that posted pictures of her roses both old and modern, from time to time.I think she was caring for her mother for awhile. I don't think we heard from her since the COVID shutdown, maybe since before that. There are others

Brandon Garner thanked Karen Service
  • 15 days ago

I guess I'll add myself to the list of those who are here and have been on the forum for while; since the early 2000s, is my guess. I've met only Rosefolly of all the forumers I've encountered here, as I was already living in Italy when I started participating. I check in to the forum regularly, but my posting comes and goes. It's good to have the company of nice people who care about roses and gardening.

Brandon Garner thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • 15 days ago

Alana will sometimes post. I haven't checked your most recent 1. Haven't heard from Sweden in a long time butI'm in regular contact with plumeria girl! Wear more friends and real life. Rose gardeningJust very busy with her kids growing upAnd working crazy hours.

Brandon Garner thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 15 days ago

Alana must be busy as she's not posting much to Facebook, either.

• 15 days ago

I miss the good old days, too, all the nurseries that are gone and all the people who used to post. I wish Ingrid was still here. I'm wondering what has happened with her garden and the family of ground squirrels.

Brandon Garner thanked bellegallica9a
  • 15 days ago

Belle, I too really miss Ingrid. I loved her posts. Her gorgeous photos got me into growing Tea roses, which I adore.

• 14 days ago

Sheila, I feel the same way. I know she felt she couldn't do roses anymore, but she also has so much experience to share that even if she had only a few or no roses at all, I'd still love to hear from her and see photos of what she's growing.

Brandon Garner thanked bellegallica9a
  • 14 days ago

I could look at our old pictures all day , but I know it depressed her to do that so she stopped posting them.

Brandon Garner thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Does anybody remember the online nursery, Roseraie at Bayfields?

Mister Moses

• 14 days ago

It's so nice that many people we have not heard from for a while responded on this thread! I too miss the still missing folks, but very glad to hear from people who have been "lurking". Hope to hear from you more frequently.

I have a sort of funny rose story to share - I talked with a friend of mine who is at their summer house right on the coast of Maine, near Kennebunkport. Last winter Maine and its coast had two very strong, horrible storms in a row, which caused flooding all over the place. My friend's house was not damaged, although they did lose a 35 year old tall boxwood hedge which had been right along the foundation (on the side of the house away from the beach - she thinks it was under salt water too long). However, when they moved back there for the summer 2 weeks ago, they discovered that the storm (and huge waves from the ocean, which is only 40-50 feet from their house) had moved an entire large rugosa rose bush from the neighbor's garden into their garden. She said it was fine, and blooming happly. Evidently rugosas LOVE coastal Maine - explains why they have even naturalized around there.

Jackie

Brandon Garner thanked jacqueline9CA
  • 14 days ago

Ha ha, that is hysterical

Brandon Garner thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 14 days ago

Suzy Verrier (d. 2017), the Grande Dame of Hybrid Rugosas, had a nursery Royall River, somewhere in New England. Anybody remember her? She put hybrid rugosas on the map back in the 1980's/90's. Nobody had more influence on getting folks going growing these lovely but deadly thorned thugs than she.

I can't remember her ever being on our forum, but she may have been. Nowadays, hybrid Rugosas are not used as much since the Knock Outs gave them ...well, a knockout. Also the rose breeders who have been breeding for black spot resistance have introduced roses greater in black spot resistance than ever before other than the Knock Outs, pushed hybrid rugosas aside.

Mister Moses

• 14 days ago

I went to her nursery years ago - it was about 15 minutes away from my friend's house in Kennebunkport. She was so nice, and sold us a rose I knew would like it there, since it was thriving in Suzy's display garden, so close by. (As I recall it was zone6 then, but I don't know what it is now).

Jackie

Brandon Garner thanked jacqueline9CA
  • 14 days ago

I too have Suzy's books, Moses, and had gotten roses from her. My husband is from the Maine Coast and I am sorry I did not get to her nursery before she died.

• 13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I've never been to Maine. I remember Suzy by way of reputation and reading but I never got to meet her. I wish I had.

In the 80's I went to visit a cousin who lived in northeastern Ohio. The most interesting part of her home, for me anyway, was her garden. She had an enormous medicinal herb garden that included two giant rugosas that she used for the hips. It was my intro to them.

• 13 days ago

I first met Suzy through Gardenweb and we talked on the phone several times. We had exchanged cuttings and chatted about good bugs and bad ones.

Her second location in Maine had the most spectacular R. rubra I have ever seen and they had set up a double 'fence' of fishing line to stop the deer from jumping the single fence.

I had talked to her several months before she died, and things could have been better then..

• 9 days ago

Has anyone heard from professor Henry?

Brandon Garner thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • 9 days ago

I saw a recent Henry comment, summers.

• 9 days ago

Thanks Sheila! That’s a wonderful news! 😁

Brandon Garner thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • 9 days ago

Here is another erstwhile poster, now more lurker. I do hope to be on GW more regularly again. Through family circumstances I have for a long time not been able to do much in the garden, but this year I was able to do a lot, and even buy three new roses! I lost my favourites to rust: Heritage, Belle Story, Nahéma and even R. virginiana plena. Another great rose, Fighting Temeraire, just up and died a few years ago :-(. I cannot get it any more.

Rick, I waited replying here till I could show you a rose you mentioned here, The Reeve.

It stayed with me through neglect and overgrowth of the perennials around it. I now freed it from its neighbours, and treated it to compost and some fertilizer. It has come back nicely, this is its first flower this year. There are five or six other survivors too. Funny thing is that I never have black spot, only rust.

The new ones are Queen of Denmark, The Lark Ascending, and Bolero.

Anyway, I was happy to find this thread, and also sad to see that people I used to know here are not posting any more, like Ingrid, and Lisa with her beautiful kitty.

I hope to be here again on and off.

Brandon Garner thanked gdinieontarioz5
  • 7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

Welcome back, gdinieontarioz5. I'm glad to see people's experience with roses that grow in very different conditions than mine. It sometimes amazes me to see some roses that appear to have no boundaries where they will thrive and others that seem to require the most exacting specific conditions to even survive.

I also like to hear what problems everyone has to fight. For example, I've never had a rose with rust here but fight blackspot all the time.