A plethora of cod...

nekotish

My husband purchased a large amount of cod and while it was a very good price and fresh at the time, I never would have purchased that much for the two of us. It is also in odd shaped "sticks", about 1.5" x 1.5" x 4". Cod is not my favourite fish, but it is fairly mild. I'm looking for new ways to prepare it. I have blackened it, breaded it, and cooked it in a mixture of tomatoes and onions and olives. I've done a curry, a chowder and a cioppino type soup. Just looking for new and flavourful ways to prepare it. Ideas? How do you do cod?

SaveComment12Like
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

Is it frozen? It seems to me that it must be if you've made so many different things. Isn't cod a classic for fish and chips? Po' boys? Terrine? Fishcakes? I don't know about fish. Just wondering how fast you have to use it up....

Save    
nekotish

It is frozen. We do fish and chips about every 6 weeks as I am not a fan of deep frying, so DH does it outside.

1 Like Save    
plllog

Filling in filo pastries? Or dumplings?

This Persian takeoff sounds great (fenugreek and tamarind are two of my favorite things):

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019481-persian-cod-with-herbs-and-tamarind

1 Like Save    
Fun2BHere

Smoke it? Then use in omelets, frittatas, salads, etc.

Save     Thanked by nekotish
annie1992

We like fish tacos or fish cakes, and I have a recipe that I've never used (from Bon Appetit) for cod steamed with soy and ginger. It came from this collection:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/slideshow/cod-fish-recipes

The slow roasted cod with bell peppers looked good to me too.

What a happy "problem" to have!

Annie

colleenoz

I prefer cod for its mildness and large flakes.

One thing I do that DH loves is fish pie; it's like shepherd's pie but with a fish and bechamel filling.

Make a bechamel sauce but include diced onions and chopped parsley when you're starting to cook the butter and before you add the flour. You could even add a little grated cheese if you like. At the same time, boil and mash potatoes, enough to cover the top of the pie.

Dice the fish into chunks about 1" square. I often add whole shelled shrimp and sometimes a few bits of smoked fish if I have some on hand, or any other seafood. You can cook it if you want, but I find putting it raw into the hot sauce and then baking it in the oven to brown the potato top cooks it through very nicely without overcooking it.

Mix the fish into the sauce and pour into a buttered casserole dish. Top with the mashed potato. Sprinkle with grated cheese if you like (DH love cheese :-) ) and bake in a hot oven until the top is golden brown.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by nekotish
nekotish

Some great ideas, thanks. The Bon Appetit article is great. Colleen, I was just talking to DH about fish pie today. He'd never heard of it but thinks it sounds good. I'd definitely add some cheese, because he's a cheese nut. Fun, DH is doing ribs this weekend, so I will get him to smoke some - that's a great idea. I can use a bit of it in the fish pie!

1 Like Save    
olychick

I like poaching white fish with a layer of pesto added on top at the end - just to heat it up. Yum!

1 Like Save    
lindac92

Was scrolling to suggest poaching....either in a court boullion or in white wine. But I never tire of cod as fish and chips.

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Cod is one our favorites being free from the sea. Our go-to are cod cakes and a cod bake...miso, ginger, tamari, sesame glaze/crust. Sesame with some panko or breadcrumbs. A minute under the broiler.

Fish bake or pie also in rotation using cod. Various chowders. Cod puttanesca. Mediterranean flavors...lots of lemon, olives...poached cod over roasted lemon potatoes.

nandina

I suggest a search of recipes that will introduce you to 'cooking cod fish with mayonnaise'. Lots of ideas and 5 star recipes waiting to be discovered.

cookebook

I highly recommend this one. I've made it several times.
https://www.themediterraneandish.com/baked-cod-recipe-lemon-garlic/

1 Like Save     Thanked by nekotish
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design How to Add a Kitchen Backsplash
Great project: Install glass, tile or another decorative material for a gorgeous and protective backsplash
Full Story
Entryways Trending Now: The Top 10 New Mudrooms on Houzz
Geek out on a room that’s all about storage and organization
Full Story
Lighting Why You Might Want to Work With a Lighting Designer
A lighting designer can bring technical know-how and a thoughtful approach to your project — and could save you money
Full Story