SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Mother/Daughter Trip: Where to go?

IdaClaire
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've just explained in the thread I started last week on York, England how my mother and I might be open to changing our plan to travel overseas together and focus on an area in the continental U.S. instead. I believe the men in our lives would just breathe a sigh of relief knowing that she and I weren't off in a foreign country, so far from home. With my mother getting older and me no longer being a spring chicken (same applies to our men as well), we're all more cognizant of time spent apart and the toll it takes. I'm shifting "thought gears" now and would love recommendations for places to visit in the states.

My mother and I both love charming, quaint places - but these may come at a cost of being overly-touristy. (Then again, we would be tourists, so I realize what I'm saying here.) We enjoy strolling in a pretty place, taking in the architecture, gardens, good cafes/tea rooms/restaurants, poking around in interesting shops, soaking up local culture. Places that are clean, neat, friendly, even a little quirky in a good way - all a huge plus.

We have made many trips to England, but have never seen New England. That part of the country does hold appeal for both of us. I know so very little about that area, though - just the names of places I've read about: Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Bar Harbor. Can you suggest a location to look into? Also, is Autumn truly the best time to be in New England? (I think about all the leaf-peeping. I think we'd rather travel together in springtime - possibly early springtime, though.)

We both also love Santa Fe, having spent time there during my childhood, and both of us as adults traveling with our husbands. The last time I was in Santa Fe, though, the traffic was awful and there was a generally unfriendly vibe. Maybe it was just an "off" trip - I dunno. I wouldn't mind going back (in fact, I'm sure I'd enjoy it), but it's a place that isn't new to us, so might not hold as much appeal as New England. Still - it's closer to home.

My brother is living in Portland, Oregon and I'm sure a visit up to see him would be nice. That said, I just don't know if there'd be that much to do there that would be memorable for my mother and me. (My brother entertains himself by going out and doing things like summiting Mt. St. Helens on a weekend. That is so not the kind of thing my mother and I would be into. ;-))

So ... I'll leave this here for now, being grateful for any and all suggestions on a travel spot in the states that would fill the bill as described above.

Comments (73)