SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_417202675

Would you buy a house with main rooms facing North-East?

Christie
last year

Hey all,

I'm thinking about purchasing a new build home, I've found a couple of models from a particular builder that I really like, and the prices are reasonable. But then I looked more closesly at the site plan and noticed that both homes have the majority of the rooms facing North-East. This includes the family/great room, kitchen and dining, as well as main bedroom. And the backyard. The only rooms that would get the south-west exposure are the front foyer and a spare bedroom.

I was hoping to hear from anyone who has or had a home where the bulk of the rooms are facing north-east. Do you find a lack of natural light in these main rooms to be dim, depressing, difficult to decorate, etc.? Or maybe you haven't lived in a home like this but visited friends/family homes with this type of exposure. Would you buy a house with this exposure or would you keep looking? Because the house isn't built yet, I can't go and see for myself at various times of the day. I do know there won't be a hill in the back or neighbours in the back to further block out any natural light, but not entirely sure that will help. I live in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks everyone!

Comments (25)