SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

Prices just keep going up and up

Jasdip
3 years ago

Dairy went up in price the first of Feb. A 4-litre bag (gallon equivalent) of milk is now $4.69. I could always buy my half and half on sale for $1.97, now it's either $2.50 or $2.99.

I bought a new tub of Eucerin cream yesterday. That was recommended by the nurses for hubby's dry skin when he was getting his intravenous, and I've been using it when my skin is very dry.

It was $15 2 years ago, and now it's $25.

Comments (84)

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"wow minimum wage has nothing to do with cost of living and homelessness. Really!"

You didn't take Freshman year Economics. Really.

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

Elmer, it was sarcasm.

• Related Discussions

Are Your Grain Feed Prices Going Up, Up and Up?

Q

Comments (8)
    Around here the corn burning stoves went into houses like crazy. Corn seems to burn well, much less work than wood, little mess left for cleaning out. Takes small amount of corn to keep the WHOLE house warm. I was rather surpised at how enthusiastic the new owners are over corn stoves. Transportation may not be the whole cost, but tractors are fueled with gas and oil, to work the soil and bring in the crops. Tractors are not especially efficient in fuel usage, cost a bunch to produce those crops. Costs that farmer has to pass to buyers so farmer can at least pay his bills. Hay is supposed to be costing more, I know the truck to go get it runs on fuel that has more than doubled in cost since last year. Much equipment is diesel powered, even costlier than gas. Diesel has always been cheaper to produce, now they just WON'T produce it, keeping cost high. Bush and his Oil friends are making plenty of money. Keeping cost of doing business for truckers very high. Consumers pay that extra. I don't know if Ethanol is going to be cost effective as a fuel. We have a local plant being built 5 miles away, 60 new jobs in a very hard hit job market area. Everyone is excited, but for corn fuel to be useful, it can't cost more to produce than it costs to sell. At least the farmers can sell their product, so many were just losing money planting corn. Prices just never got where you could turn a profit. I buy our grain, mixed at a local mill. No commercial bagged food for the animals so I am not seeing those costs. We use quite a bit of corn in the horse feed, prices seem to be staying higher than other years. I think the oats come from Canada. Not sure why they are not local, we do have oat production. Dry dog food prices are higher, even on the junky stuff. Again, I would point at mostly fuel prices to raise a crop, then transportation to get products to market.
    ...See More

Price of Metal Going Up

Q

Comments (1)
    Most all forms of metals have been going up and surprisingly lumber is fluctuating at a more rapid pace these days. Other materials joining the band wagon are concrete, roofing products, most all materials concerned with a build. Also take note that paints that came in a 5 gallon bucket now contain 4.75 gallons. So not only are prices up, quantities are lower for what you pay for.
    ...See More

Electric rates going up, up, up.

Q

Comments (12)
    Well DB, You seem to have captured the gist of the artical without admitting ignorance. I gave you the source yesterday, but you refused to read or admit that when I said I "read", and the key word was "read" an artical posted by a local news source, "pricing for TXU was over 16 cents per kw". You either missed or ignored the other value that I claimed was in a December bill. a period several months before current price reductions. Now as to your claim? Aren't you leaving off the surcharge from this claim? You must be a shill for TXU also. But I guess you have the right to be selectively stupid. Wake up and smell the kilowatts. Or are you too befuddled to think simple thoughts. As to the hundreds of billions of losses that Texas has been forced to pay for. TXU sold several companies during the last 3 years, that lost billions of dollars. One that supplied a majority of French customers power (France), one that supplied some English customers (England), and a wopping utility that supplied either Australia or New Zealand with power. Also they lost very heavy with Lone Star Gas that became Atmos (N. Texas). Do you wish to debate this claim also?
    ...See More

Looking for the best 60 gallon natural gas hot water tank.

Q

Comments (1)
    It's kind of like asking what is the BEST car. Ask three people, and get three different answers :) AO Smith, Rheem, or Bradford White are the three manufactures, and the three choices you have when it comes to tank water heaters. Since most (I stress most) plumbing / heating contractors here in the Chicago area handle Bradford White, I would say that kind of speaks volumes of product integrity, therefore it is the brand that I just had installed 5 months ago. I will add that the Bradford White is the only one totally US owned and manufactured (Michigan). Yes, there are other ones made here in the US, but they also have operations in other countries (i.e Mexico, China) Good luck! Good luck!
    ...See More
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

My comment stands.

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

Well then you better take a refresher course in economics.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

I had a long and successful career in finance from being an econ major at a top university. I know basic applied Econ and had both Public Finance and several Macro classes. .

How about you?

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

Whoopie, so you know how to manage money, not how minimum wage impacts the economy. I'm not going to argue with you, because in your own little world you are always correct.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

How to manage money? That's what bookkeepers do.

• Kathsgrdn
    3 years ago

I haven't noticed the prices increasing but my food bill has gone through the roof with 2 teenage boys in the house. They eat a lot.

• cooper8828
    3 years ago

Food prices in my area have definitely gone up, but our grocery prices have always been high anyway. I used to stock up on sales but the sales are pretty puny lately.

• User
    3 years ago

ci_lantro - I would suspect that only those below the increased minimum wage will receive raises. So yes, there will be plenty of resentful people. The lesson is you can't raise wages above poverty level, only raise what the poverty level is. Let's say anyone making less that $11 per hour is at poverty level currently, raise the minimum wage to $15 and the poverty level rises to ~$20 per hour. This is similar to day light savings time, changing the time sunrise and sunset doesn't add more daylight to a day, it just shifts it when it occurs.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

am sorry but your argument leaves me leaves me completely mystified. Who are all these minimum wage earners employed by this mysterious apartment complex? When I lived in an apartment complex, some years ago now, there was only a manager/handyman onsite and he received free rent for his services. No herds of workers lurking around. Also any experienced landscape labor here receives well above minimum wage and always has.

Do some of you even live in the real world????? You sure have an altered perspective on things if you do!

If Seattle and environs is 'the real world', then I am happy living out here in Fantasy Land. Fantasy Land, where we have really, really big apartment complexes. Even in my tiny little town pop 50-60,000. The newest one covers at least 20 acres. One 'handyman' couldn't possibly manage all the mowing, edging, landscape chores. Then when that job is done, he gets to start on snow removal. Heaven forbid if anything inside the multiple buildings breaks down.

But, for S&G's, IF one handyman is employed to handle all of the maintenance for a smaller complex but is large enough to require him to work 40 hrs. a week x 4 weeks a month = 160 hrs. The unit normally rents for $1k per month. $1000/ 160 hrs = $6.25 an hour.

But matters not what the job is or the job title. You should be smart enough to extrapolate the theoretical example to 'your' real world. Unless you are telling us that there are NO minimum wage jobs in Seattle??????

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

***In a hypothetical scenario where a handyman's 'free rent' translates into a $6.25 hour wage, that's a gross wage. Minus whatever he shoulda' oughtta' be forking over to the Feds & State...

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

A good friend of mine is a bldg manager, her rent is free. No wage beyond free rent. She mows the lawn, snow-blows and shovels snow, cleans the bldg top to bottom regularly and it's always spotless. She'll clean it even on Sundays, she seldom takes a weekend off, or if she tries, someone calls or comes to the door wanting something.

There's a handyman on the payroll but he has an outside business plus he manages the bldg he lives in, so the work needed gets shoved down the line. She's frustrated trying to get him out to do needed repairs and he keeps promising and never shows. It's a truly thankless job, even though the tenants all love her and it rents quickly because it's so clean.

• User
    3 years ago

Don't know about here but when I lived in a big city an average apartment complex had at least 1,000 units and multiple buildings. Plus multiple pools, workout rooms, party pavilions, laundries, parking lots or garages and other amenities. It takes a fair sized crew to properly keep them.

• salonva
    3 years ago

Walking away from the minimum wage discussion, what really irks me is that while the apparent price of an item in the market basket may seem unchanged, the actual price is higher. Remember when coffee was 16 oz per can? Then it was 14........13............11.5... same with lots of other products. The dimension of the package often stays constant but the weight is definitely less. We don't each much cereal but that's one line that has definitely decreased its content

• kevin9408
    3 years ago

If wages for unskilled employee's are raised to a level equal to skilled workers in the same profession should we then also lower wages of higher skilled professionals to the same level of lower skilled wages in the same career category also? This would be morally right to satisfy equality . An example would be lowering a college professor wages to that of an entry level kindergarten teacher. And also average out social security checks and any pensions to be equal to all? Sounds great doesn't it.

Russia did it in the 50's and 60's and there was no incentive to learn the skills needed to move up but a nice little tiny apartment in a concrete ghetto style high rise was assigned to everyone, except for the ruling party.

• User
    3 years ago

Try to shop in stores that offer Seniors Day pricing if you're a senior. In most stores here in Calgary, a senior is 55+ years old and have a seniors day once a week or once a month. The store I worked in (lost my job 3 weeks ago :( ) had it every Thursday and seniors got 20% off almost all regular priced items. Most of our seniors only shopped on Thursdays for that reason.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I did buy the cream on senior's day which was the saving grace. I seldom if ever, pay full price for anything. It was $25 full price vs $15 2 years ago, so I got it for $20.

• User
    3 years ago

I can't recall which country it is, but it's in Europe. Sweden? Norway? Denmark? I dunno.... but EVERYONE makes the same amount of money per hour because they say there is no job more important than the next. Whether you collect trash or perform brain surgery, everyone deserves the same wage. And unemployment is really low. It should be that way everywhere.

• llitm
    3 years ago

LOL!!!!

ETA that doesn't even pass the common sense test, Debby.

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

I second the LOL.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"I can't recall which country it is, but it's in Europe. Sweden? Norway? Denmark? I dunno.... but EVERYONE makes the same amount of money per hour"

No. You can look high and low, you won't find that.

• lucillle
    3 years ago

EVERYONE makes the same amount of money per hour because they say there is no job more important than the next.

I do not think such a system would work. For one thing, it does not take into account the many years of training a job like a doctor's job requires that receives no compensation in the early years, to the issue that even for the same job, some just punch the clock and others work very hard.

And some jobs, notably sports, are very highly paid not only for the money making potential surrounding others handling the sports team who exhibit, gamble, etc. but also because typically the individuals have shorter careers, Brady notwithstanding.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

A good friend of mine is a bldg manager, her rent is free. No wage beyond free rent. She mows the lawn, snow-blows and shovels snow, cleans the bldg top to bottom regularly and it's always spotless. She'll clean it even on Sundays, she seldom takes a weekend off, or if she tries, someone calls or comes to the door wanting something.

I wonder if she has ever added up the hours she puts in, counting weekends & holidays as time & a half. Of course, including any trips & expenses going for supplies/ gas for the mowers, vehicle mileage and time wasted waiting around to show the property to potential tenants, for the plumber to show up....Then divided the hours into what the rent would be so she knows how much she is earning per hour. Before taxes.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

In other words her situation sounds like yet another example of the continuing popularity of

Exploitation of Labor

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

I have no idea of what/ how the tax system works in Canada. In the states, I would think more likely that Jasdip's friend's situation is an example of the underground economy at work. Apparently the friend is OK with it. Maybe more than just OK with the arrangement.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Ya know, DC was originally wetlands. Not a few environmentalists think it should be restored to it's original condition. In an environmentally responsible & sensitive way, of course. :-)

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"This is the system we are heading for"

Sorry, this is nonsense.

• lucillle
    3 years ago

the donkey get in raise prices,

Donkeys don't raise prices. The price of a product is determined by the law of supply and demand.

There are at times short term imbalances but they are followed by a market correction.

• User
    3 years ago

Taxes are a big influence on prices. Compare prices in a low tax state to a high tax state and you'll see the difference. Real world example, for several years our gas taxes were low and the gas taxe in a bordering state were high. I always filled the tank before going to the high tax state because the gas here was at least 25 cent cheaper.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ci Lantro, my friend isn't a member of the underground economy. She receives Old Age Benefits, and CPP. The owner of the building provides a 2-bdrm apartment, free to the superintendent/manager.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"Taxes are a big influence on prices."

I don't think this is true. Sales tax isn't more than 10% anywhere and a few percentage points of difference isn't going to do much.

Gasoline is an exception but a limited one. State gas taxes do vary and there can be a difference when a state line is crossed. However, the pricing of gasoline in the marketplace is hugely variable and the reason is supply and demand on a very local level, not taxes. In my area, it's not unusual to find as much as a $1 per gallon difference between stations located just a few miles apart. Or a 50 cents or more difference between a gas station located at a major highway offramp compared to another (even of the same brand) a few miles away. Even major brand gas stations are mostly independently operated (like a McDonalds) so that prices at a Shell or Esso or Chevron or Valero at your local shopping center are set by the "owner", a different person than the one who controls prices at the same branded station a few miles away. Large price variability is the norm within the same tax districts.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

Elmer - your gas price example in SoCal is not the norm in the mid-western states that I frequent. Prices here in the KC area are always within 10 cents of each other at every station on my side of the MO/KS state line. Cross over into Kansas and gas is about 10 cents higher due to their higher gas tax. Prices in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota that I pass through when visiting family follow the same pattern. Prices along the interstate are usually within a few cents of those inside cities. There is plenty of competition to keep them honest. Most stations want to lure you in to buy snacks and drinks where their profit margin is higher.

ETA: buying gas for a boat on a lake is a much different story. The prices are usually a buck or so higher than on land because there is very limited competition.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

I just took a quick look at Gas Buddy for KC and the MO side and for Des Moines. For both areas I found close to 40+cents per gallon variability. Yes, the scale is different but the effect is the same. 20% of a price in the low $2 range is 40 cents, while the same percentage in the $4 range is closer to $1. Same thing, price variability with no tax differences (other than the local component of sales tax, if applicable)

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

Elmer - My eyes and experience say different. If I drive to my office I probably pass 20+ gas stations and they are all always within a few pennies of each other. There are one or 2 brands that set their price and then all others soon match it. I will say that when wholesalers increase or decrease the price there can be a bit more variance for a day or so until all stations have a chance to get back in line. If by chance one or two stations are charging 40 cents more than 99% of the other stations, they apparently don't care about selling any gas because they won't be. But thanks for checking.

As you are so fond of saying...my post stands.

• beesneeds
    3 years ago

Something that has been rising in prices and seeing delays and shortages through last year and it's going to get worse is construction/remodeling things.

Though last year a lot of folks found themselves on hold or delayed/out of stock for remodeling things like appliances and stone countertops and cabinetry. Commentary about prices of lumber and drywall going up.

Now that we are exiting a major weather disaster- a lot of those goods are going to be getting called upon to fix a chunk of Texas.

I think we are going to see a continuing trend of more expensive construction things through to next year at least.

I think some food productions will be impacted by the polar hit- like fruit trees budding out. As the steady drought trend of a lot of the West of the U.S. and it's forecast of pushing east into plains states we may see some issues with crops and potentially animal stocks depending on how dry the year goes. Dairy production out of the West coast may be impacted by this.

A change in pricing might come out of the home gardening sector because of the large influx of new gardeners and many seed companies are facing challenges keeping up and in stock with orders. That might result in a bit of a price up for 2022. And folks commenting about less spring sales on catalog plants than usual so far this spring, so it's more of case of prices not being reduced as usual than prices unusually high there.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Specific station prices are reported to Gas Buddy by individual users and the prices it shows are accurate and most are updated daily or even more frequently. I sometimes will consult with the site (there's a smartphone app) when I'm away from my normal area because while the cost itself isn't something I need to pay attention to, I prefer to avoid stations whose way above market prices make me feel like I've been taken advantage of.

The range of prices Gas Buddy reflects that I described before were not one or two outliers at the top end but many. Try looking at the credible information I saw and gave a source for, and then comment a bit more knowledgeably. You're describing anecdotal information, I'm describing real time pricing. Or don't. If it's a nice day, enjoy yourself outside.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Try looking at the credible information I saw and gave a source for, and then comment a bit more knowledgeably. You're describing anecdotal information

This is true for what by now must be many thousands of posts made on Garden Web, unfortunately. If presented as a FWIW statement that is one thing but what is typical instead is continued insistence that untested assumptions or outright mythology have instead been demonstrated or verified.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

Elmer - Nope, not a nice day here. Drizzling and cloudy but at least it's not bitterly cold and snowing like all of last week.

I looked at GB top 10 list for KC. Well sure Costco and Sam's Club have a lower price but I'm not a member of either so that does me no good. They count as half of the stations in the Gas Buddy top 10. The cheapest one on the list was a cash only price. The third one on the list is about 20 miles outside of what I would consider the KC metro area.

The 4th one on the list is the outlier and is in the closest part of the metro area to my home but I rarely go by there. Number 10 on the list is within 5-7 cents of the price at pretty much every other station that I saw yesterday when I ventured into the city.

And the range in the Kansas City top 10 is only $2.15 - $2.27. Similarly the range in Des Moines top 10 is only 15 cents. Hardly the 40 cent range you claimed above. If there are stations in KC asking $2.50 or more then as I stated earlier they don't much care if they sell gas or not.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

Living north of the river there are various taxing entities all with differing taxes all within the same zip code, Riverside, Kansas City, and Gladstone. Outside of the zip code is North Kansas City which normally has the lowest taxation. In this area the stations do not try to match anyone. Gas Buddy is interesting to look at but that is all. Lone Jack drives along the freeway where the stations do try to match each other where I live there is little need because it is mostly consumers from the neighborhood.

Edited to add those stations such as Shell that charge more are used by people who think they are the only stations that sell "top tier" gas and do not know that QT also sells "top tier" gas something that stations must pay a fee to use the designation.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Jasdip, at least here in the states, the 'free' rent would be reportable income and subject to taxes. As well as any other ancillary bennies like utilities, excepting if those are rolled into the rental price to other tenants.

Not saying that this is the case per your friend but it is an example of how the underground economy can work. Landlord provides housing, has less taxable income from the property, writes off the value of the free rent as an expense... Of if a tenant always pays in cash, well, darn, that unit always seems to be vacant... Can't keep it rented. Must be because it's the corner unit on a corner lot next to a busy street...

Around here, if you need some trees removed, there is usually two prices. One price if you write a check, a different price if you pay in the bendable green stuff. But you need to ask, "How much will you do it for if I pay in cash?' Under ground economy at work.

Like how the Rules of Unintended Consequences will kick in with a big increase in the minimum wage. Legitimate above board small middle class contractors will feel the squeeze from enterprising, less ethical contractors who will employ/ exploit cheap labor, i.e., immigrants who cram 20 people into a two bedroom rental, etc.

Sad, but true.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"Jasdip, at least here in the states, the 'free' rent would be reportable income and subject to taxes. As well as any other ancillary bennies like utilities, excepting if those are rolled into the rental price to other tenants.Jasdip, at least here in the states, the 'free' rent would be reportable income and subject to taxes. As well as any other ancillary bennies like utilities, excepting if those are rolled into the rental price to other tenants."

This is incorrect. The value of lodging is excluded and not treated as taxable income if an easily met (in these circumstances) three part test is satisfied.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

You don't understand the question and you won't find the right answer through uninformed internet searches. What you've linked is to a barter transaction situation.

Try looking at 26 United States Code Section 119 and the regulations thereunder.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Tax Status of Employer-Provided Lodging

Like other fringe benefits, free or discounted employer-provided lodging is usually subject to income and other taxes. To determine the fair market value of the housing provided to an employee, an employer may check local newspaper listings for comparable rental properties or ask a local realtor for an estimate of the property’s rental value. The employer reports the net value of the employee’s lodging fringe benefit in Box 1 of the employee’s W-2 form, and the employee declares this value as income on Line 7 of IRS Form 1040. For example, if the employee pays the employer $300 a month for the housing and the property's fair market rental rate is $600 a month, the employer must add $300 a month to the taxable income it reports on the employee's W-2.

Lodging Not Subject to Taxation

An employer can exclude the value of housing provided to an employee from an employee’s taxable income if the lodging meets three conditions. The employer must furnish the lodging on its business premises. The lodging must be furnished for the convenience of the employee, which means that the employer must have a valid business purpose for providing housing beyond giving the employee additional compensation. For example, if the employer’s work site is located a substantial distance from other housing options, the IRS would likely conclude that the employer is providing the lodging for the convenience of the employee. The employee must also accept the lodging as a condition of employment, which means that the employee cannot have the option of accepting or declining the lodging. If any of these conditions are not met, the employer must include the net value of the lodging on the employee’s W-2 form, and the employee must report that amount as income on his tax return.

So Jasdip's friend could very well qualify under the 'Lodging Not Subject to Taxation'...under US tax law. Given that the lodging is the sole compensation for labor rendered, would that make a difference?

In Canada? I don't know. US tax law is complicated enough w/o trying to delve into Canadian tax law.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Barter: the action or system of exchanging goods or services without using money.

Investopedia: Barter is an act of trading goods or services between two or more parties without the use of money (or a monetary medium, such as a credit card). In essence, bartering involves the provision of one good or service by one party in return for another good or service from another party.

'3 part test' delineated in prior post.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Knowledge comes from education and experience, not from internet searches. US tax law as regards individuals and many of these things is mostly not complicated at all, it's often quite straight forward and many areas (like this one) hasn't changed in decades and decades. Anything is complicated to someone who knows little or nothing about the subject matter.

Stick to what you know, whatever that is.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

NEVER! A day without learning is a day wasted.

I also try very hard to not spend/ waste my time with snide remarks and seldom respond to them which is more waste of time. As for you, I'm guessing that it's the gabapentin that is talking most of the time. Least ways, I hope there is a reasonable explanation for the hostility.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

I'm guessing that it's the Gabapentin that is talking most of the time.

What was that about hostility?

• lucillle
    3 years ago

Rising prices are of concern to many, especially seniors on a fixed income. It shouldn't be a 'hot topic', on the contrary, courteous opinions, experiences, and explanations can help all of us better understand what eats away at our purchase power.