SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

In pursuit of a really good hot fudge or chocolate sauce

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'd prefer to buy one rather than make one. I'm the only one in the house that eats it.

In college in the 1970's, in Evanston IL, there was an ice cream shop called Peacock's. Their hot fudge sauce was thick, dark, rich, and gritty with sugar. I can taste it in my mind even now. The store made their own ice cream and toppings. I have never found one to equal it.

I've discovered through a lot of disappointing trials that I don't like ones made with corn syrup. And that's most of the commercial ones. The mouth feel is all wrong.

Can anyone recommend one that is really good, and without corn syrup?

I know many of you have local brands, that wouldn't be available to me. So, please, only ones I can find and buy. I'm in the Chicago area.

I'd say I'll make my own, but I don't want to go through the effort unless it is really good, and won't spoil too fast.

I made one last night. It is is pretty good, but certainly not the mythical, dusky, gritty sauce of my youth. (Reading reviews, it seems like gritty is objectionable. But I don't mind that.)

I used almost 1/2 a pound of Ghirardelli dark chocolate, so pretty expensive to make many trials. Recipe called for semi-sweet chocolate chips, but I figured that would just make an ordinary one.

Thanks.

Comments (23)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

This is my favorite and it's as good as the cocoa you use. I prefer this to the melted chocolate and sweetened condensed milk recipes.

https://barefeetinthekitchen.com/wprm_print/22065

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Related Discussions

A 'skin' on my Chocolate Fudge Sauce? (pix)

Q

Comments (3)
    In my experience the skin will not reincorporate well. Peel it off and layer a piece of plastic wrap right on top of the sauce. Literally touching the sauce. This will stop a skin from forming.
    ...See More

Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce

Q

Comments (15)
    Booberry, this is a different caramel sauce. Equally as good. I was out of heavy cream and wanted to make a caramel sauce. So I used a can of condensed milk to make this sauce. 1 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup maple syrup 1/2 cup butter Pinch of salt 1 can condensed milk Vanilla Mix Sugar, Maple Syrup, Butter and pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Simmer for two or three minutes. Add Condensed milk, stirring until well mixed. Simmer for 60 seconds. Remove from heat, add vanilla. Pour into bowl or jar with lid and refrigerate.
    ...See More

Hot Fudge Sauce

Q

Comments (0)
    Anyone have a T&T recipe for Hot Fudge Sauce? I had a really good one but cannot find it any where so am desperate. Thanks! Kate.
    ...See More

Hot Fudge Sauce

Q

Comments (11)
    Yum, I'm with Linda, that ganache type topping is good by me! I also like the "one can of condensed milk, one cup of chocolate chips, one stick of butter" recipe. Melt the butter, add the chocolate chips until melted, stir in the condensed milk. The butter is a bit hard to stir in at first, but it will incorporate, then it's done. Or, this one that's a bit more involved: Hershey's Cocoa Hot Fudge Sauce 1/2 c. Hershey's cocoa 3/4 c. evaporated milk 1/3 c. light corn syrup 1/3 c. butter 1 tsp. vanilla Mix cocoa, milk and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils for 1 minute. Remove from heat, stir in butter and vanilla. Serve hot or cold over ice cream. Store in refrigerator. Have some for me! Annie
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

Cacao Barry Extra Brute

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • plllog
    3 years ago

I get the nostalgia of the gritty with sugar, but that's a technical flaw that comes from sugar clinging the edge and not getting incorporated and then kind of drying and recrystalizing. I'd guess it would be hard to replicate. The only thing I know is that crystals will follow crystals, so maybe after you make your sauce, you could stir in a few crystals of sugar and see if you can get the syrup to partially crystalize.

It's been a really long time since I made it, so I don't have a recipe for you, but really good hot fudge sauce starts with really good cocoa powder. And, yes, it's expensive, but less so if you buy it by the bulk package rather than the little containers in the store. I use Valrhona. It's practically walking fudge in its cocoa powder form. The rest is pretty similar all around, halfway between fudge and ganache in terms of butter and cream content.

You can replace the corn syrup in any recipe with invert sugar, which you can make yourself with good cane sugar. That might help you get the crystalization you want as well.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked plllog
  • Lars
    3 years ago

Mine is probably similar to what you made:

6 oz. Bittersweet chocolate, chopped
    2 tbsp unsalted butter
    1/3 cup milk (more if needed)
    2 tbsp sugar

Combine all ingredients in the top of a double boiler and stir over simmering water until chocolate has melted and combined.

I often make half a recipe:
    3 oz. Bittersweet chocolate
    1 tbsp unsalted butter
    3 tbsp milk (or cream)
    1 tbsp sugar

I've also made it with cream instead of milk.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked Lars
  • linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

One thing I was thinking about, when I was hunting all over the house for the right chocolate last night, was that I really need to find out the differences between dark chocolate, semi-sweet, and bittersweet. In terms of how much sugar they contain.

I saved about 6 recipes, but they called for different kinds. I had put unsweetened chocolate on the grocery list. But my husband couldn't find it, and came home with ordinary semi-sweet chocolate chips. I figured those would not be good enough, so I tasted all the dark chocolate, and used the best one.

• Lars
    3 years ago

In general, chocolate chips are not as good as regular chocolate because they have soy lecithin added to them, and this makes the flavor a bit off - at least enough so that they are not a good substitute for block chocolate when the chocolate is the main ingredient.

You mainly just have to adjust the sugar, depending on whether you use unsweetened chocolate, bittersweet, or semi-sweet. I pretty much never cook with semi-sweet, since it is easy to add sugar as needed. If you used regular milk chocolate for chocolate sauce, you would not need to add any sugar.

It's easy to order chocolate on line, if you are willing to wait for delivery, but I buy it at Trader Joe's, where it is the least expensive - and always available. Amazon is now selling Trader Joe's Pound Plus Dark Chocolate, but it is cheaper if you buy it in the store. This is the chocolate that I use in cooking and for chocolate sauce.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked Lars
  • lindac92
    3 years ago

i had a recipe much like you describe but I seem to have lost it. It came from my sister in law who died 3 years ago and who knows what happened to her recipe file. In my file it was called Lois' Lushious chocolate sauce. had to be warm or it was almost solid.

• Olychick
    3 years ago

This is absolutely fabulous! You can google and see how available it is- definitely mail order, Sur La Table, Whole Foods, I think. Amazon for sure. Their caramel sauce is also to die for.

eta: I was looking at reviews on Amazon and the one 1* review complained about the thickness. It is very thick, esp after being in the refer, but I always just heat it a bit - but it's still much thicker than, say, Hershey's syrup.

Dark Chocolate Sauce - Fran's Chocolates

frans.com › sauce-hot-chocolate › sauce-dark-chocolate

Ingredients: Cream* (milk), cane sugar*, tapioca syrup*, Dutch cocoa powder* (cocoa powder, potassium carbonate), dark chocolate* (cocoa beans, cane sugar, cocoa butter, soy lecithin), salt. *Organic.

I found a link to where it's available in and around Chicago: http://notes.frans.com/posts/where-to-buy-frans-chocolates/

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked Olychick
  • Rho Dodendron
    3 years ago

You're so right! In the back of my mind no hot fudge can be as delicious as Peacocks and now I know someone else thinks so too. I grew up going to the Peacocks in Wilmette on Skokie Blvd.

Sorry but I can't help with your search but will be reading the responses.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked Rho Dodendron
  • bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

this is a good thread to try as well

OMG chocolate

• CA Kate z9
    3 years ago

I LOVE Frans chocolates, so why wouldn't I also love their choclate sauce. Thanks for the link, Olychick.

I made the recipe for such from Sophia Loren and I was ...... disappointed..... again. Ah well, I think I agree with you, linnea. I'm going to try buying some.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

Baily's Irish cream Haute fudge is a real treat. I haven't had any for a few years but this thread reminded me of how good it is. So I just ordered 2 jars ;-)

• nandina
    3 years ago

Outside a brutal winter storm was blowing off the Great Lakes. Inside three little ones demanding cocoa. Not a drop of chocolate sauce in the house, just the makings. Time to experiment. This result is what happens when you add an extra cup of whole milk to the basic Hershey's Rich Cocoa Fudge recipe.

CHOCOLATE FUDGE SAUCE

3 cups granulated sugar

2/3 cup Hershey's cocoa

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 1/2 cups whole milk

2 tbls. butter (optional)

1 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix sugar, cocoa, salt and milk in a large saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil slowly, without stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. Buzz with hand blender carefully to smooth boiling hot mixture. Pour in a heat proof 1 quart container while still boiling hot and cover with lid. Refrigerate when cool.

Notes: Lay a wooden spoon across top of pan to keep mixture from boiling over. Feel free to add 2 teaspoons of Bailey's Irish Cream for extra flavor. Also, for those looking for that 'grains of sugar' texture just use a whisk to quickly combine the boiling sauce together but not smooth it out completely.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

^Agree with above regarding Fran's chocolate sauce...and their other dessert sauces.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked chloebud
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lars, it's good to know the Trader Joe's dark chocolate is that good. That's my husband's default chocolate, but I never taste his, and there was none in the house when I wanted to make up the sauce, or I would have tasted it to compare with the others. For eating plain I like milk chocolate.

I tasted what I made last night, cold from the refrigerator. It's basically fudge now. I don't know what is the dividing line between something that stays soft when cold, but heats nicely ( as I generally do when having it with ice cream), or something that will stay solid. I wonder if I stirred it too much.

I remember as a kid making fudge, my Mom would insist I beat it for a long time. When I didn't, just pretended I had, we had a pan full of chocolate sauce. But that was just made with ordinary cocoa, not good chocolate.

• Sooz
    3 years ago

I've made this recipe many times. It's from Epicurious and America's Test Kitchen (it's the very same recipe):

Chocolate Fudge Sauce

1/3 C cocoa, measured, then sifted, set aside

3 oz chopped unsweetened chocolate, set aside (don't make chunks out of your chocolate because they take too long to melt)

4 T unsalted butter, cut into little cubes, set aside (put it in the fridge until needed)

1 tsp vanilla, set aside

In sauce pan:

2/3 C whole milk

1 1/4 C granulated sugar

1/4 tsp salt

Put the sauce pan over medium heat and whisk while heating--this will take 3 to 5 minutes, and then it will come to an active boil.

Add 1/3 C of cocoa and whisk it in with the milk, sugar and salt.

Remove the sauce pan from the heat.

Add 3 oz chopped unsweetened chocolate that you set aside, and whisk it in the milk, sugar, salt and cocoa in the saucepan... it'll melt right in!

Let it sit for 3 minutes.

Whisk.

Add 4 T unsalted butter & whisk in the butter.

Add 1 tsp vanilla and whisk.

Taste.

Taste again.

Put a little bit of peanut butter on a spoon and dip the spoon into chocolate. Taste.

Try it again, just to be sure it tastes ok.

Store in fridge for up to 1 month.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked Sooz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This looks good. Thanks! Some of my favorite recipes are from Epicurious.

Original Author
    2 years ago

I made the Epicurious one about a month ago and I liked the taste and the simplicity. It was SO fast to make, it took less time than me reading the labels on the hot fudge sauces at the grocery store.

But it wasn't thick enough for my tastes. Would it be thicker if I substituted whipping cream for the milk? OR just reduced the volume of the liquid? Thanks.

I should probably post a new thread, but I'll leave this here, so the original respondents can chime in.

• bragu_DSM 5
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

here's one my grandmother made on saturday nights when i was young

Ingredients

• ⅓ c. cocoa powder
    • 1 c. sugar
    • ¾ c. evaporated milk
    • ¼ c. butter
    • ½ tsp. vanilla

bring first three ingredients to boil, add the butter and lastly the vanilla. this recipe is good for doubling and keeps in the fridge. The evap is the key, and good choolate [not chips]

Original Author
    2 years ago

What kind of cocoa powder is good? I should have some better stuff anyway, even though my chief use for it is dusting tiramisu.

• bragu_DSM 5
    2 years ago

dutch process s a personal fave