SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelsea_rosenkrans

Combine separate shower and tub to make combination - can I DIY?

Chel Rose
3 years ago

So I’ve just purchased a home and am looking for a cost-effective way to simplify a weird and outdated bathroom; I intend to fix up some stuff and rent it out, so I’m not looking to sink a ton of money into it and would like to DIY as much as possible.

Right now: floor-to-ceiling tiles in the shower and tub, which are separate but adjacent (see photos). The rest of the bathroom is tiled about 4’ up. It’s VERY PINK with some purple and black mixed in for good measure. The shower is straight-up frightening, it’s probably not much bigger than 2’x2’.

What I’m trying to do: Consolidate the two units into one by turning the tub into a shower/tub combo. Eliminate the stall shower and put a linen closet there. Reglaze all tile to a more neutral tone, then minor aesthetic stuff like replacing the vanity. No moving of plumbing, but will need to remove the pipes to the existing shower.

I know that the removal of the shower is gonna be a pain, and I’ll probably try my hand at it and re-evaluate whether it’s best suited for a contractor. My main questions involve the plumbing:

1. Can the existing line to the tub simply be extended up to create a shower head? Or does new pipe need to be run? I’m hoping the removal of the shower will expose the pipes for easier access.

2. Since I’ll be discontinuing the use of the existing shower, what is the protocol for “turning off” that line? Does all piping need to be removed and capped somewhere?

3. And on the creative side, I’ll obviously need to do a certain amount of damage/removal of the existing tile wall to fit it with a shower pipe. Any ideas how I can minimize the damage so it’s not hideous and doesn’t cause issues for waterproofing and whatnot?

Any general ideas are welcome, even if it means recommending that I just take a sledgehammer to the walls and start from scratch. Would love to hear any and all thoughts here!

I’ve attached the only photo I have of the bathroom (shower not shown) and drew up a general idea of what the space looks like so my description is (hopefully) a bit clearer.

Comments (4)