SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edward_beck1

Basement laundry room help for first home buyer

Edward Beck
3 years ago

Hey everyone,

Long time listener, first time caller here. My fiance and I purchased our 1st home back in February before we all had to hunker down for the pandemic, which allowed for a lot of DIY time. Since then I've focused most of my time and effort to giving the backyard a complete redo. Now that winter is here, I have turned to updating our mostly-finished basement. The laundry washer/dryer is located in one of the not-so-finished section (see picture attached). Although I am grateful that we have both, every time I do the laundry I frown at the washer/dryer set up. I am hoping to take on the DYI project of finishing the unfinished section of the basement, and would like to find a new home for the washer/dryer, preferably in the closet located next to the room where they are currently located (2nd picture). I have 2 questions for you guys: 1) Can the washer be placed lower than it currently is (I've read that the max height distance between the bottom of the washer to where the drain hose empties is 8 feet), and 2) any suggestions as to how to improve this overall eye sore. The current drain hose is draining into the PVC pipe in the center of the 1st picture. I'm planning on putting a workshop somewhere in the area, so I would like to keep one side of the peg wall if possible. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (8)