SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sneha_jain59

First time home buyer - Need Kitchen Design Advice

Sneha Jain
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Everyone,

We just bought our first house in this crazy market. Took us forever but we were able to find something that we love and doesn’t need much work.

I am not good at home design and honestly it gives me anxiety just thinking about it. I am sharing some pictures of the kitchen breakfast nook and family room. The furniture is from the old sellers so we will be buying new ones.

With wall colors I usually like neutral grey shade palettes and in terms of design choices we like modern, modern farmhouse, contemporary look and feel. Honestly whatever I look at online, I like everything (that’s how non picky and confused I am)

Overall I need help with which wall colors to pick and how to furnish the whole area. Because its all open I feel like kitchen, breakfast area and living area need to be connected in terms of furniture choices.

We will be staining the floor to be a darker color.

Family room :

1. Should I color the fireplace? If yes, then what color?

Kitchen :

1. We want to update the countertops to quartz.

2. Any ideas on backsplash?

3. The one big thing we want to do is make the island bigger. I think we will try to make an island using cabinets as its cheaper. The current island is 3x4. What island size do you recommend? I have attached the measurements of the kitchen

4. I wanted to have the island a different color. I also looked at some pictures that have brass/gold cabinet hardware and I like that. Any thoughts on different island color and cold hardware? If you think it’s a crazy idea, you can tell me that I wont be offended.

5. We will be changing the light fixtures as well

I don’t have a huge budget to hire an interior designer for everything but wanted to maybe hire a consultant for a couple of hours to basically look at bigger picture design of the whole house and validate my current ideas or give ideas on how to decorate the house and pick furniture. Any recommendations for a consultant is welcome. We are located in the Chicago suburbs.

Comments (7)