SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melyssa_morey

Bamboo, Engineered Hardwood, or Carpet for 2nd Floor Bedrooms? Noise

Melyssa Morey
3 years ago

We are redoing the flooring on the second floor (3 bedrooms and bathroom- bathroom will obviously have tile floor). We had carpet, but because our kids are quite messy, we have pets (3 dogs and a cat) , and my daughter has allergies, we'd like to install a bamboo or engineered hardwood floor instead of carpet. We are planning to do a floating or glued down floor so that nailing will not be necessary (part of the house is older and has plaster ceilings, so we are concerned that nailing above will cause problems). However, I am now concerned about how much noisier it will be compared to carpet. This past weekend, we painted daughter's room, which is directly above our bedroom. An entire can of paint spilled (the lid wasn't on tight, and my husband backed into it with the ladder), so we ended up ripping out all the carpet and padding on Sunday, so now it is just subfloor. Since then, it sounds like there is a bowling alley above our bedroom. My daughter is not doing anything out of the ordinary, but it sounds like hippos doing tap dance anytime she walks. We are planning to use a noise reducing underlayment, but I'm worried it still won't make that much of a difference compared to the carpet. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Comments (8)