Favorite brands of tv dinners?

sal 60 Hanzlik

I haven't found any that are really good. DH likes Hungry Man swiss steak. Sure would like to find some good ones so I do not have to cook so much. Any suggestions?

SaveComment33Like
Comments (33)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nicole___

We like Banquet Pot Pies. They even have berry pot pies for dessert. ☺ Maybe pizza.....which is nothing like "my" home made. For something quick I don't have to "cook".....canned Stokes Green Chili.....smothered nachos. Otherwise I freeze salmon steaks. Grilling is as close to "not" cooking as I like to get. ☺

Save    
sal 60 Hanzlik

We can't grill anymore too cold here. We do have pizza.

1 Like Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I always keep a few Marie Callender's in my office freezer for when I forget to bring my lunch and don't have time or feel like going out to get something (at least pre-Covid I did). To me they are much better than the rest. Their pot pies are also the best I have tried. They used to have the dinners on sale for about $2 every couple months at my usual grocery but I haven't seen that price since pre Covid.

3 Likes Save    
sal 60 Hanzlik

I've tried those and pretty good.

Save    
Judy Good

Marie Callender's for me also. Great Salisbury steak one, have not found any I do not like.

1 Like Save    
Lars

My mother used to buy Old El Paso TV dinners, but I don't know if those are still made or how good they were. We buy tamales at our local Latin market, Cárdenas, when we do not want to cook. They are fresh instead of frozen, but you can freeze them for later.

2 Likes Save    
marilyn_c

I remember when I was a kid and I was a picky eater and didn't like whatever my mother cooked for supper, I would have a Swanson fried chicken tv dinner. I thought it was a treat back then.... probably wouldn't like it now. I keep a few Marie Calender pot pies on hand. I like the one with corn and bacon chowder in it. Also Marie Calender chicken and fettuccine dinner.

3 Likes Save    
marilyn_c

I also keep frozen tamales on hand. I like the ones from HEB, pork tamales. When I find someone who makes them to sell, I buy some of those also.

2 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

I love the single serving Stouffers lasagna.

5 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

We used to eat Healthy Choices, but it's been probably 10 years since we've had one.

1 Like Save    
Kathsgrdn

Marie Callendar pot pies, I like the beef ones the best. MC cheese chicken & rice, beef & broccoli bowl, and the pineapple chicken. I also like Amy's cheese enchilada meal with the beans and corn, Mexican casserole bowl, Indian Matter Paneer, Tortilla casserole & black bean bowl, and the ravioli bowls.

2 Likes Save    
sweet_betsy No AL Z7

Healthy Choice Beef Merlot

Healthy Choice Kung Pao Chicken (which I haven't found in a while)

Marie Callendar Chicken Pot Pie

2 Likes Save    
glenda_al

ditto marie callender

2 Likes Save    
Lucille

I like the Lucille's TV dinners, when I freeze portions of casseroles, chili, pot pies and so on that I have made.

6 Likes Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

Another fan of Marie Callender's dinners

2 Likes Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Marie Callender mostly. I am the only one that eats them occasionally.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

I like the Banquet pot pies better than the Marie Callender ones because the bottom crust is always cooked along with the flavor of the seasonings. I also like the Stouffers lasagna. I have purchased the cheap 10 for $10 mac and cheese to use as side dishes.

Save    
graywings123

Primal Kitchen bowls

Primal Kitchen

Michael Angelos chicken piccata

1 Like Save    
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

Marie Callender. (country fried pork chop or country fried chicken if calories is no option, honey roast turkey or turkey with stuffing if they are)

Lean Cuisine. (they're not very big but surprisingly good and affordable)

Healthy Choice. (most are good but my favorite is probably Barbecue Seasoned Steak With Potatoes)

Hungry Man Turkey/other. (high calorie but good)

Hungry Man Selects Classic Fried Chicken (a crap shoot, sometimes great, sometimes disappointing depending on the chicken)

Swanson (I think it was) used to have a decent frozen mexican dinner, and Banquet had an okay one. Enchiladas or whatever, refried beans, hot sauce and mexican rice if I remember correctly. I miss those. They were relatively good and filling at an affordable price. Amy's seems to have something that may be almost good enough but it's $3.98 and I just can't bring myself to pay that darn much to try one.

Michelina's Mac and cheese is quick, cheap and filling enough to satisfy a (usually late night) craving.

Banquet. I used to consider them to be xxxxxxx xx but I recently gave them another try and learned they're not so bad and besides, my dog likes the salisbury steak and the meat loaf so I'll buy them again, at least until he quits liking them. He gets tired of the same thing if I feed it to him three days in a row. :)

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I don't eat much frozen food. I do remember my mother serving Stouffer's spinach soufflé whenever we had steak when I was growing up. That was delicious, and I may see if I can find that at the store soon.

1 Like Save    
adellabedella_usa

I like some of the products that Costco has. Of course, you buy a bunch at one time. Not sure of brand, we like their udon noodles, frozen cod, and some of the other frozen products.

1 Like Save    
Amazing Aunt Audrey

I like a mixed bag. I like Marie's turkey dinner, the pork cutlet dinner, Sesame Chicken, Teryaki Chicken, Beef Merlot, and her pot pies. I like Stouffers for Macaroni and Beef, Chipped beef and gravy (SOS), Lasagne, Fettucine Alfredo, Stuffed Peppers, French bread pizzas. Healthy Choice has a few bowls I like. Night Hawk has some good ones too.

1 Like Save    
lindaohnowga

Another vote for Marie Callender. Not a dinner, but if you are a chocolate lover, her turtle pie is scrumptious.

1 Like Save    
JoanMN

We had a Marie Callender Dutch Apple pie for T-day. Well, since it's just the 2 of us, we will be having it a few days. I think they are out of this world good!

2 Likes Save    
ci_lantro

Not a TV dinner but easy almost no-cook:

Very good & cheap! If you have any leftover veggies, you can toss them into the noodles after cooking. DSI & I love them. Teriyaki Beef is our favorite (the only one I buy) but other flavors available. I had to give them up due to gluten intolerance, sadly.

Save    
sal 60 Hanzlik

I'll have to check those out. Not too big a selection where I live.

1 Like Save    
chisue

I'll add some leftover chicken or beef to Fronteras or Eating Well frozen entrees. Always have two 'on hand'. Add some salad and a chunk of La Brea bread...done.

1 Like Save    
Marilyn_Sue

I like the little Banquet Chicken Pot Pies. The Marie Callender ones have too much crust for my liking. They are bigger too. Once in a great while I have room in my freezer for something but as for a favorite, I don't know.

Sue

1 Like Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

ci_lantro - I like those noodles too. My favorite are the spicy chicken. I stocked up on about 25-30 of them over several shopping trips to WM back in February pre-covid for something like $.75 each. I only have a couple left and I haven't seen them at any WM since March. Another grocery has had them but they are asking $1.25.

1 Like Save    
ci_lantro

LoneJack, yes, I've gotten them at WMT and sometime, Aldi. Seems like Aldi has them on an off 'n on basis. I've paid as little as 68 cents but not lately. Definitely some months preCovid.

1 Like Save    
chisue

We like Alessi split pea soup mix -- makes four servings in 15 minutes; plenty for two to finish in a week. I add ham bits. It's been out of stock at three local groceries. Yesterday I ordered 10 packets from the company; free shipping on $25 orders.

1 Like Save    
Rusty

I've found almost anything I've tried from Stouffer's has been very good. I especially like their stuffed bell peppers. Their lasagna is also very good, they have a vegetarian version, too. Michael Angelo's for Eggplant Parmigiana. They also have a very good lasagna. Some of the Birdseye Voila meals are pretty good, as well as easy prep. Just put in a skillet and finish cooking. Not quite as fast and easy as a microwave frozen meal, but still speeds up dinner prep time, eliminates most of the work.

I think it mostly depends on what kind of dishes you like. For example, I love meat loaf, and have tried every single brand of frozen meatloaf that is offered in the stores here. Haven't found a one that is edible, IMHO. But those same brands have other entrees that I like a lot. So I'd suggest simply trying different ones to find what you like.

Rusty

1 Like Save    
Kathsgrdn

I forgot about Stouffer's bell peppers, don't buy them often but they are really good.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Tastemakers Houzz Call: What’s Your Favorite TV or Movie Home?
Movies and TV shows capture our hearts with their settings as well as their stories. Which on-screen houses do you love?
Full Story
Fun Houzz Our Favorite ‘Gilmore Girls’ Decorating Moments
The new Netflix miniseries revisits the 3-generation TV family. Join us on a tour of their homes and hangouts
Full Story
Kitchen Islands How to Make Your Kitchen Island Your New Favorite Dining Spot
Use these tricks to create extra space for prepping and eating meals
Full Story