SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neely_gw

What’s for Dinner #387

neely
3 years ago

WFD for us was slices of minute steak with snow peas cooked as a Thai Green Curry served with rice. Oh Yes and a small corn cob... I can’t resist throwing in extra veg for the health benefits.

Comments (102)

• neely
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Snap Lynda. Different words for a similar delicious food... scampi, shrimp and in our case prawns... garlic prawns. I cook these in what I know as the Spanish way. Olive oil heated very hot in a cast iron pan, throw in the prawns, move around then throw in a chopped garlic clove, sprinkle with salt and about 3 minutes and they are done.

I cleaned these earlier in the day and put heads and skins in a saucepan with water for a delicious stock to put in the freezer. I have heard that you should fry these up a bit first but I didn’t. As they were boiling DH said ‘ what is that terrible smell’. To each his own I guess as I thought it was a good smell, strong but good.

Had them with a salad but I would have liked yours with the cous cous better Lynda. Very few carbs here at the moment.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Gorgeous shrimp Lynda. I never thought of having it over couscous. Your turkeys are probably going to hide tomorrow..

I'm just sitting down to a chicken stir fry

• Related Discussions

What 's for dinner?

Q

Comments (13)
    Wish I had a neighbor growing them - I need to find some way to try them before deciding on adding them to my orchard. I have never seen them available for sale except for some with splitting skins dripping juices that looked like they were rotten orange tomatoes, and the fruit stand had marked them down to 4 for a buck. I go to farmers markets in several places but no one in my area grows em
    ...See More

What;s for dinner Tuesday?

Q

Comments (9)
    Pam, you should've come over. We still have enough left for another meal, but I froze it. Glenda posted a recipe this morning on the "I'll share my recipe" thread for Red Lobster shrimp quiche that sounded really good, so maybe next week we'll feel like shrimp again. Wish we'd had some of your corn. Bigack, I wanted spaghetti for tomorrow's dinner but Harry has opted for pork chops. I need some pasta!! Sue, did you find any great deals at the grocery today? I envy you--fresh radishes from the garden. Nothing better than that! Susanjf, nobody ever complains about good old hamburgers! I've about decided I don't really like baked beans that much. Jasdip, glad you took a little break--unless you made your own soup fresh today and baked the bread for the sandwiches ;-) Are you still having spring-like weather? Nod702, now why don't I ever think of fried rice on clean-out nights?? Great idea!!
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #375

Q

Comments (100)
    WalnutCreek, I'll have to try pork chops in the Air Fryer. I have one but the only thing I've liked so far that I made in it was "fried" chicken". Beet chips just fell into the bottom and charred, fish was dried out, potato chips were fiddly and half were crunchy but the rest were not. (sigh) After the beet chip fiasco I shoved it onto a pantry shelf and haven't touched it since, I'll have to drag it back out. Yesterday I took Mother some roasted chicken and twice baked potatoes, the chicken was brined 24 hours and high heat roasted ala AnnT. It was really good, extremely moist and even the breast meat wasn't dry. I also made a big batch of split pea soup, Mother loves it. I had to use yellow peas because I had those and the store didn't have any green split peas (or any other dried beans) in stock. sleevendog, your garden is growing well, and Elery would love an artichoke pizza. Neely, stay well, I'm glad your sons are delivering food, I stopped and did Mother's grocery shopping yesterday and dropped off groceries along with her prepared meals. Jasdip, I'm glad you're just "hunkering down" and there's no reason for quarantine! As for that leprechaun, we didn't catch him, but he dropped some of his treasure, a couple of strings of beans, a few of those "gold" colored dollar coins and some glittery hair clips. Maci insists that she heard "tiny little footsteps in the night" and nearly caught the leprechaun eating all the chocolate, LOL. Annie
    ...See More

What’s in your pantry? (And can it become dinner.)

Q

Comments (16)
    Here is my orange vegan cake, from Allrecipes originally. I discovered it when we were having vegan friends for dinner but now I use it all the time. Ingredients 1 large orange, peeled (or sub 1 cup orange juice) 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 cup white sugar 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I have used corn oil or also melted butter but then it's not vegan) 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt Directions Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan. Blend orange in the blender until liquified, measuring 1 cup orange juice (or just use 1 cup orange juice) Whisk orange juice, flour, sugar, vegetable oil, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. (I usually add a little dash of nutmeg and cinnamon to the batter, and then sprinkle a bit of cinnamon-sugar on the top before baking.)
    ...See More
  • neely
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Pot stickers we call them...Yum

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Pot stickers.... There are a number of dogs rescued from third world countries in my neighbourhood. There is a rescue group for them. They're called Potcakes......they get to lick the pot from cooked rice and vegetables, in countries like Cuba, Bahamas, etc etc. They're mutts, obviously.

They're just adorable and I can never remember the name potcakes. Pot-stickers always come to my mind :-)

• Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)
    3 years ago

Yummy potstickers and great presentation Sleeve.

Neely, my parents were British, so they were always prawns to me too. I have become Americanized in my old age! We make ours in the same way, but add red pepper flake, and after the shrimp are cooked add lime juice, white wine vinegar and butter to the pan to make a spicy, garlicy sauce.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    3 years ago

We call them dumplings in NY. But the good ones that Costco sells have 'potsticker' on the bag, (the organic ones). These are from a wholesaler and just have dumpling on the bag. Such a nice quick freezer meal.

Merguez stuffed spaghetti squash last night. A covid favorite. Odd thing to say but reminds me to get some corona beans soaking for tomorrow.

3 years ago

Our thanksgiving feast. We are going to have leftovers for days....

I made stuffing from our homemade focaccia.

Potatoes au gratin with gruyere cheese and thyme

Ollalie berry pie

• neely
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yep a feast Lynda, looks delicious.

Since I’ve been on these forums I have wanted to join in with your Thanksgiving as it all sounds so delicious but also I think it is a lovely idea to stop for one day to be thankful for all we have.

So here is own dinner. This year I added mashed potatoes as well as roast potatoes.

And of course homemade pumpkin pie. There was cream but I forgot for the photo.

DH’s spartan eating forgotten for one day

3 years ago

Gorgeous bird, pies and plating. Also did mashed and roasted. No pics of the full plate. Might be stuck in the clouds.

Meis en place, shredded Brussel/veg salad, wild rice stuffing/dressing, steamed veg, DH made biscuits. (pale ones I saved for todays brunch sliders.) Pups had winter wheat, quinoa, veg trimmings, sardines...😀

• Ann_T
    3 years ago

So many wonderful meals. Love all the photos.

Sleevendog, that salad with the avocado is beautiful. And I would so love to eat your dumplings. (we call them dumplings here too).

Neely, your meals always appeal to me. Beautiful plating.

Jasdip, Great looking pizza and stir fry.

Lynda, I still have a pound of Spot Prawns in the freezer. Your shrimp dish has giving me an idea for dinner.

Annie, it makes me smile to think of Ashley, that little girl I've know of for years, hunting deer. Any luck yet?

Baked bread twice this week to get some into the freezer. I hadn't baked in a couple of weeks and was completely out.

Monday's bake.

Dough was made Monday night and baked Tuesday.

And Wednesday I made the dough early in the morning a

nd baked the same day.

Eight baguettes, six regular

and two with cheddar.

Roasted a small prime rib for dinner Wednesday night.

With a Yorkshire Pudding.

And after reading all the Thanksgiving posts on FB food groups I had a craving for

a turkey dinner. Stopped at the grocery store on my way to work, hoping that they might have a fresh turkey breast. But no such luck. So I bought chicken.

Dinner took one hour from start to plating.

Walked in the house at 5:20 and turned the oven on. Got the chicken in the Cuisinart Steam oven at 5:30. Put the potatoes on to cook, and got the brussels sprouts ready to steam. No time to make homemade stuffing so I decided to use the corn bread I made in the morning for breakfast to doctor up a box of stove top stuffing.

While the chicken rested and the brussels sprouts finished cooking, I mashed the potatoes and made the gravy and dinner was ready to serve at 6:30.

3 years ago

Ann T Your bread is just spectacular. I would love to master a good crusty baguette. Your prime rib and Yorkshire pudding also looks pretty amazing.

Sleeve, I love how many colorful veggies you combine into every dish.

Neely, so glad that you joined us this year. It is always such a nice time to slow down, be grateful for what you have, and spend time with your family.

3 years ago

Agree, Ann's bread is to be admired and to be achieved somehow, lol. (we try)

Biscuit success, though DH put them back in the oven before I could take out a half dozen 'blonde'. (for next day biscuits I thing they should be minor under-baked)...he snuck them back in the oven and over-baked, lol. No biggie, we agreed today. Lessons learned as always/every day, when cooking fun.

Still fantastic next day turkey 'sliders'. With my obsessive NPR's 'Mama Samberg's cranberry relish'. Love that stuff and used my horseradish roots from the garden.

Sloppy plate, but so good. (pickled red onion)

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Neely, your thanksgiving dinner looks scrumptious!!

Ann, it's so good seeing your bread and meals again. In my next life, I want to cook like you!!

Lynda, what a feast!!! Beautiful meal.

Sleeve, you're still eating lots of fresh tasty healthy meals!! You get more mileage out of fresh veggies and greens than anyone I've ever seen.

I wish Bud and Roxie would eat sardines, smelts etc, they're so good for them, the omega-3. I tried once, and this is the look I got.

I tried a new recipe tonite. Chicken pieces seasoned with allspice, ginger, salt and pepper; sweet pepper, garlic and red pepper flakes simmered in rice with coconut milk and chicken broth. I had some kale from the landlord's garden that I threw in as well.

• neely
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hilarious Jasdip, that face. Dinner looks yummy as well.

Sleevendog a tasty plate indeed.

Never have I baked a loaf of bread that was anywhere that good AnnT and I baked quite a lot during lockdown. Delicious dinners as well. Yorkshire pudding so good.

Back to a simple stir fry of veg and ginger beef.

3 years ago

So simple and gorgeous. ^^....holiday over but enjoyed...stock, freezer meal...

Dishwasher not behaving but can run a load, then need to hand wash a load. Water pressure is spotty. Unusual as it has always been great...still trouble- shooting via internet. We will get there,😜...holiday meals are a bit oily and excess pots and pans....stock and such. Back to simple meals. One or two pots.

Fritatta last night with so much excess veg, cheese, prosciutto. Great eggs local. Not planned, just easy last minute.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Is a frittata much different than quiche? Yours looks fantastic!
    Stir-fries are always a welcome dinner. I've never made beef though as I'm afraid it will be tough.
    I made Jacques Pepin's skillet sweet potatoes and fish tonite. There are only a couple of ways I like sweet potatoes and this is one.

• annie1992
    3 years ago

Neely, welcome to the traditional Thanksgiving Dinner! I love it, should have it more than a couple of times a year, but somehow I just don't. Oh, but the stir fry looks good too, and a lot simpler!

AnnT, your bread looks amazing, as usual, but that prime rib and yorkshire pudding, oh my, I'd be happy with that, yum.

Sleevendog, I actually like sardines. I remember eating them with my Dad, a can of sardines and a sleeve of crackers. They were also a favorite "camp food" when the girls were still home and we'd go camping. We had a tent and a campfire, but lunch was often a can of sardines and crackers, just like Dad taught me.

Jasdip, ribs are one of my favorites, I'd never turn them down, but the fish looks pretty good too and I like sweet potatoes, so any of those things would be fine with me. And my cats give me that look too. The big orange one likes Chex Mix and Kraft cheese slices, he'd never consider eating sardines, LOL. The calico only eats cat food and she's picky about what kind too.

Lynda, as always, your table is beautiful, and the shrimp is always a good thing. Those turkeys are impressive, the ones here aren't so nicely colored, they're just brown, but they are everywhere.

OK, so it's time to catch up. Madison and I made some applesauce, and she taste tested. Yes, she just got glasses, and she hates them.

She also had sloppy joes and french fries, so she was a happy girl.

Meanwhile, Elery and I had chicken tenders, roasted parsnips and carrots and green beans:

I must have been channeling sleevendog, because another meal was a frittata, with corn and green chilies, I'll do that again.

Another meal was mashed butternut squash, pink half runner beans and lamb chops. Yes, that was Elery's plate, I had leftovers, LOL.

I pulled some turnips from my hoop house and made mashed turnips and sauteed the greens, served with some baked cod:

And then it was a small Thanksgiving, with Amanda and family:

Turkey, ham, homemade rolls, LindaC's cranberry jezebel, corn pudding, mac and cheese, candied sweet potatoes, 7 layer salad, cornbread stuffing, sage stuffing, and desserts.

Lemon chiffon:

And Houzz won't let me post any more pictures, I guess I'm done!

Annie

3 years ago

We are back home, and back to more basic, less carby, meals. Tonight was pan fried tilapia and flounder, crusted with panko, parmesan and herbs in a lemon butter sauce with green beans and a salad. Easy and quick!

Before we left I planted all of my bok choy seedlings into their raised beds. When we returned, every single one of them was gone. Apparently the birds had a thanksgiving feast of bok choy. Ugh, it is now too late in the season to try again.

Annie, How are your purple bok choy doing?

On the bright side, we are getting our first real crop of tangerines, and came home to a tree full of ripe fruit.

• annie1992
    3 years ago

Lynda, the purple bok choi is still alive. It's not growing at all, it's shivering in these temperatures, it's in the low 20s at night, but it hasn't frozen or died, and I'm using it gradually. I'll leave a few, just to see how cold they can get before they give up.

The 7 layer salad was made with lettuces and bok choi from the hoophouses, the lettuce isn't even shivering yet!

Annie

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Annie, I see your Mom's place setting :-) And I laughed at your lettuce not even shivering comment. Your hoophouses are a success, I'd say!!

Another fritatta, well I think I have to make one.

Lynda, I'm sure you had a great little holiday. Less carby meals.....what are those? Lol.

3 years ago

Madison's glasses are adorable. So nice you had a traditional family gathering. Need to try more mashed veg. Usually just cube and roast. I so miss cod. But we have lots of salmon and shrimp.

Crispy salmon last night with corona bean salad. Tried a new pasta. Quick pickled cucumbers and red onion. Shredded Brussels, corn. Prepped extra for lunches/cold salmon salads, and all prepped for a big veg slaw to have with burgers tonight.

Bless you Misfits for such variety.

• Ann_T
    3 years ago

Jasdip, is that Bud or Roxie in the photo? Looks like my Molly.

Neely, beautiful colourful Ginger Beef stir-fry.

Annie, Madison is a cutie. I love the little white turnips. They are not common in the grocery stores, but I can usually find them at the farmers market.

That small Thanksgiving dinner I call a feast.

Linda, Moe would love your dinner of salad and fish.

Friday night's dinner.

Venetian Prawns with Polenta.

Saturday night's dinner. For Moe.

I had a late lunch at work and wasn't hungry. Best time to make Moe a salad since I still don't care for salads.

Yesterday's breakfast.

Greek Ribs and

another salad.

And last night's dinner.

Another work night so dinner was simple grilled burgers with potato chips.

Was too lazy to make homemade fries.

• neely
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Loved seeing all your food and family Annie... so nice. When seeing your other food photos, what tickled me was seeing Elery’s plate with the two lamb chops. A good Australian plate of food.

AnnT fantastic photos and the food looks delicious.

Jasdip, I love all your meals.

Sleevendog, what can we say except your plates of food are always so healthy and delicious.

We also had crispy skin Salmon. I like the way they market these small slices of salmon. Had it with new asparagus and tiny home grown potatoes that had survived during our absence... grown again. I rummaged around in the dirt and found enough for a couple of meals.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Fantastic meal!!!! Love your wee potatoes, Neely!

I was actually looking forward to my dinner. Frozen chicken fingers, frozen french fries and frozen corn. Good Grief! LOL, how sad.

I have leftover chicken and rice, but it's just meh, this is what I was craving. Some sweet chili sauce with some spicy hot chili sauce (sambal olek) for kick, to dip my fingers in.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Another cheater dinner for me. I'd better be careful, I might get kicked out of this group! It's not exactly 'cooking'. LOL

Smoked meat on a kaiser from the local bakery, and of course FRIES

3 years ago

Jadsip, Yay for fries!

AnnT, Love your prawns and polenta. Yum.

Annie, Sorry to hear about your Bok Choy. I was hoping yours were hanging in there.

We are returning to our tried n true dishes. Especially for mid week, school is in session dinners when I just don't have it in me to be creative. Lamb skewers, hummus, grilled mini peppers and homemade pita. We've done this one so much lately but it is a great value (lamb is $6 per pound at Costco) and everyone loves it.

• shambo
    3 years ago

Made pastitsio for dinner. Also baked some gluten-free almond cookies for a dear friend. (Sorry for the large pictures. They come out sideways if I try to change the size.)

3 years ago

Greek lasagna! (had to look it up).

Cute kitties Jasdip. Bless our freezers, lol. If I wore lipstick my freezer would be red. Wanna kiss that puppy every visit.

Having lamb this weekend, maybe shrimp and grits. (a wee skip to the freezer)

Burgers w/gorgonzola, quick pickles and 'everything' slaw. I figured out the black stuff....my wedge of gorgonzola was stored in a container with toasted nuts and seeds for a charcuterie last weekend's brunch. That brand of pepita has a thin dark skin like a peanut.

Hijiki Merguez Sum-Sum, (made that name up. Needed some lunch grains, etc.) Lots of grain left for tonights Dum-Dum.

Hijiki is a lovely dried seaweed that swells in warm water. Soft and a bit sweet/briny. Not a bit salty.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

So tired last night. Granddaughter went into hospital midnight December 1 to have her first baby; she had a very long exhausting labor. At one point, she hurt too much to lie down, so she and her husband stood for 8 hours, very slowly walking. Now that is a very supportive husband, IMO. Even though none of us could be at the hospital (thanks COVID-19), she and her husband sent us frequent texts and pictures. My great-granddaughter did not make her appearance until 8:04 a.m., December 2, 2020. I must have been having empathy/sympathy tiredness for my granddaughter, because I was exhausted last night. Therefore, had a quick breakfast for dinner: Breakfast Sausage and Pancakes. Here is a picture I took before adding the syrup. It was very satisfying. Believe I had had pancakes only one other time this year. Mom and baby and doing well this morning, thank the Good Lord.

3 years ago

That looks so good! Congrats on the new member to your family! (stressful) I like that you treated yourself to lovely plates. 😁

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

I did treat myself to a lovely plate. Thank you, @sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA), for noticing.

• shambo
    3 years ago

Made paximadia last night, a Greek cookie with a shape similar to Italian biscotti. It’s not overly sweet and perfect for dunking. I had some with tea. Very crunchy. It tastes like toasted pound cake.

• annie1992
    3 years ago

I just popped in quickly to say congratulations, Walnutcreek, another generation making its way into this world. And I love pancakes, haven't had them in so long I don't even remember when, I'll have to make some soon.

shambo, your cookies sound delicious, I'll have to try those.

sleevendog, I love my freezers too, all four of them, LOL.

Jasdip, the cranky one is pretty but Bud is just acting like he's above all that, LOL.

AnnT, as always, that beef is perfect, yum.

Neely, asparagus can survive anything, I think! Here it'll be several months before I have asparagus again, but it gives me something to look forward to, I love it.

Lynda, I hope you are far away from the latest fires, it just doesn't seem to stop. (sigh)

Here I had vegetable soup, not pretty enough for a picture.

Annie

• neely
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So much going on with delicious food.

Here for dinner was a small prawn curry made by DH. The yellow bits are cut up yellow button squash.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

I just put about 5 lbs. of potatoes in the oven to make a batch of twice baked potatoes. I just realized that I don't have any milk so I'll have to run up to the little mom and pop grocery in the nearest town and get some.

I put shredded cheese, chopped bacon, sour cream, and butter in them. I flash freeze them and then use the food saver to vacuum seal them with 3 or 4 half portions.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

LoneJack, I never, ever think of making baked potatoes for the freezer!!! What a great idea! It's a very high probability.......no, surety that they'd end up in the bottom of the freezer, broken.

3 years ago

DH home late last night and more often. Worked the last four weekends. Sooo much testing, the rapid testsx2 and 24 hour tests twice a week... sometimes three. Stress, but 5 more days and we have three weeks off...holidays are seafood through the new year. ..

experimenting 😂😂😜 low carb veg/seafood combinations

'Low carb holidays'. Made veg/seafood tacos...sloppy but testing flavors. 😜

I made three. One crispy skin salmon, (cold), Fetta/cucumber, and prosciutto/tomato/mozzarella...testing for what?...no guests, 😩

Oh well, we do nice meals for just us. I even lit candles tonight....

This would be pretty if we had guests. The flavors work!😀

• shambo
    3 years ago

Made tiropita, a Greek cheese pita. It’s similar to spanakopita but without the spinach. It’s a favorite of my daughter, so I made it especially for her. She’s been such a comfort and support for me since my husband (and her dad) died in April.

I haven’t cared about cooking or even eating much since then. But something clicked at Thanksgiving. I had to make an entree that would fit my son’s family’s dietary restrictions and decided on fruit-filled stuffed pork tenderloins. It was the first real cooking I had done in several months. And, somehow, that led to a renewed interest in old family recipes.

• annie1992
    3 years ago

Shambo, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I know he had some health issues and you were cooking low salt and healthy meals for him. I'm sending hugs and strong thoughts and prayers to your and your family.

Jack, we are kindred spirits, I swear. When I make twice baked potatoes I'll make a whole sheet pan full of them, mine usually just has cheese, butter and sour cream, occasionally I'll add bacon. I freeze them and then package them usually two per package, Mother loves them and they're easy to heat up. Of course someone is always digging through my freezer to see if I have any, all of the grandkids and the kids love them and they make a fast and easy supper.

Jasdip, as you know, I love potatoes in just about any form, so being able to grab a package quickly is a luxury. They are quite durable too, LOL.

Neely, I have a pile of butternut squash in storage, if only I had a pile of prawns too!

sleevendog, that looks pretty to me! Delicious too.

No pictures here, today we had hamburgers!

Tomorrow we're making sandwiches and having cake and ice cream for Madison's 9th birthday. No party this year, of course, but we bought her a hoverboard, so she'll be happy, even with just her folks and Elery and I. I baked a strawberry cake too, with sea turtles on top, her choice. I'll try to remember to take pictures, and hopefully she won't break an arm or a leg, riding the thing around the kitchen island or something...

Annie

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

Annie - great minds think alike! It sounds like you need to hide your 2BPs better! Maybe hide them under the beef liver or something else that the kids don't like. lol

I got half of my 2BPs finished yesterday but then got summoned to come help assemble a cattle corral and squeeze chute that my ranching partners and I bought last week at a farm estate auction. The brand is Arrowquip and It is in like new condition. The nearest dealer has the whole shebang listed at a little over $13,000 new and we got it for $3150. Our herd is now up to 21 head and we have another 8 calves that should be born in the next few months so it will come in handy when it's time to give shots, and band the steers.

I did get the other 5 lbs. of potatoes baked yesterday and I'm about ready to finish preparing them now.

Jasdip - I put my frozen veggies and 2BPs in paper ream boxes or milk crates in my freezer so they stay organized and I can find things easily.

3 years ago

Pasta Puttanesca (paid saucy lady of the evening)...probably because of the strong combination of flavors. And a salad bar.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Shambo, I'm so very sorry to hear about your DH. It's brutal, and I'm sorry you have to be without him. :-(

Sleeve, Pasta Puttanesca is one of my go-to's when in a hurry. It cooks up in minutes and is so full of flavour.

Neely, prawns are such a treat for me, and they make any meal better!

LoneJack!!! Do tell me more about your life! I had no idea you were a rancher, live in ranch country!!! I love hearing about Annie's trials and tribulations with her livestock, and I want to know more about you!!! Pretty please.

This is a first..........pic of my leftovers in the frig!!

Last night I made chicken parm, and the plate was brimming with food and would be an embarrassment to post. Pure gluttony plain and simple. I thawed 2 chicken breasts and butterflied them, so it was a big hunk of meat.

Tada-----

3 years ago

@shambo I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I am glad you found your way back to cooking, especially dishes that have a significance to your family. I hope you and your daughter peace and healing.

@annie1992 Thanks for asking, thankfully the fires are not close by.

@sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA) Another beautiful meal. No matter what you make, the vegetables are always the star.

When life gets busy, we retreat back to our tried n true dishes. Lately we have had New York steak with fried potatoes and salad, and whole chicken with roast vegetables and a repeat of our skewered lamb. All tasty, just not interesting enough to require a post.

We are back in lock down for a minimum of three weeks. Our state has now put us into regions, and the counties where both of our homes are located got included into the Southern California region. This will pretty much guarantee us a long stay in lock down, maybe all winter.

3 years ago

Winner-winner, miso meatball dinner. A DH favorite and perfect for a Sunday with a nasty workweek ahead. Our farm share sends ground grass feed beef that we consistently do not ask for...grrr. (we mince our own) . I season heavily and use dried porcini in the mix. Porcini soaking broth in the miso. Nice veg salad side with roasted brussels/golden beets.

3 years ago

Tonight's dinner was parmesan crusted, pan fried tilapia, with pearled barley and Russian kale. I also made some homemade tartar sauce from our canned pickles and we added wedges of our first Meyer lemon.

We have previously lost two in ground Meyer lemon trees despite heroic efforts to keep them alive. We have a 25+ year old Eureka Lemon that came with the house, and produces far more than we could ever use, but.... we really wanted a Meyer lemon. Last year, we planted a third one in a large planter that we have managed to keep alive long enough to now have fruit.

3 years ago

My Meyer lemon has been flowering in my kitchen for about 6 weeks now. It smell so good. I've been pollinating almost daily and have at least a dozen tiny fruits. Same cycle every year. They grow all winter, then ripen once outside in the spring.

We have hit 100. Good timing for the holidays. I will refrain from starting the next round. (I don't want to look at my chili every time I open the next thread,😂 all throughout the NewYear)....should have thought to make a colorful veggie salad wreath.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

Jasdip - I'm not really a rancher, I'm a railroader by trade working in IT for the RR headquartered in KC. A couple friends and I have a small but growing herd of Hereford and Hereford/Angus mix cattle that are split between the 2 friend's properties. I only have a little over 5 acres myself located about 25 miles SE of the KC metro. Both of my friend's properties are a few miles to my north and east and they have a little under 100 acres total. We are learning about raising cattle as we go but we have a couple real ranching friends that are a huge help to us and also lend us a bull now and then. Annie1992 has shared her cattle knowledge with me several times too.

We used to have a small flock of chickens too but my DW tired of them so we are taking a break from that. We may get another flock down the road but I'll have to do some work on the coop and run before that happens.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

@shambo, how said to hear you lost your husband in April of this year. The loss and memories will be with you forever; so please draw some comfort from the memories, the loss will become a bit less painful. Good to hear that you are cooking again. And so glad you posted and let us know of the loss to your family.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer