What’s for Dinner #387

neely

WFD for us was slices of minute steak with snow peas cooked as a Thai Green Curry served with rice. Oh Yes and a small corn cob... I can’t resist throwing in extra veg for the health benefits.

SaveComment60Like3
Comments (60)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

Yum, Neely, that looks good. Now that the election is over and it's just waiting, I'll have time to actually cook. And just on time for the holidays!

Sleevendog, thanks for the code for Misfits, I'm going to order in the next couple of weeks. Our cases here are going up every day and people are still being foolish and not wearing masks or staying home. They can go to Walmart if they want, I'm not going to, I'm going to live off the pantry and my food delivery services.

I'll be posting my meals and pictures here, maybe today, but I have some paperwork to catch up on first, before I load any pictures. We've been eating a lot of beans because Elery loves beans and he's been cooking, LOL.

Annie

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Mmm, snow peas. A critter got my entire Fall crop. I had just few raw off the plants. Looked hopeful for a while...Misfits to the rescue.

Improving my crispy skin salmon. Cast iron, little butter/avocado oil, medium/high heat, no smoke point. I no longer turn it. Leave it skin side down, then turn heat down and cover for a minute or two. Rare/medium rare. Continues cooking a bit during plating...prett-y perfect.

Made pasta and an extra salmon for DH next day lunch. Pesto ice cube, Wilted greens, anchovies. So good I snuck a bit for our salmon over a pile of greens and Brussel sprouts. (I always make too much pasta as it tends to double in size)

Save    
annie1992

This was my shipment from Wild Alaskan Seafood:

So, what's for dinner today? Jacob Cattle Beans and some leftover sweet potato cornbread, Elery made it a couple of days ago to have with these white beans. Yeah, more beans, LOL, Elery loves them and he'll start a "mess" in the morning in the crockpot before I even plan dinner, because he knows I'll cook something else if he doesn't. He wants beans 3 or 4 times a week, and I just get tired of them, so I'll try to find something else leftover usually and let him have his beans. I really wanted to cook some of the cod, so maybe I'll get some out tonight and let it thaw, then we HAVE to eat it, LOL. Anyway, here are the white beans and ham we had two days ago, really thick and creamy white beans, very nice:

Along with sweet potato cornbread:

I made Colleen's Lemon Butter for Amanda's birthday on November 2, but the picture didn't turn out well. She used it as a dip for these gluten free sugar cookies:

Tuesday was election day and I made venison chili and some homemade dinner rolls, but no one had time to eat any, we were busy from 6 am to 10 pm so it was a long day. I was there at 6 setting up and checking machines, voting started at 7 am with a couple dozen people in line and went all day. Whenever I had a lull we processed absentee ballots. We closed the polls at 8, balanced our voters with the available ballots, every single ballot has to be accounted for. After that we had to print totals, remove programming materials from the machines, fill out the affidavits about seals on ballot containers and voting machines, then drive the 20 miles to the County seat to hand in my flash drives, ballot counts, affidavits, etc. I was back home just before midnight. As a result, I still have two dozen of these, they went into the freezer for future meals:

The grandkids came on Halloween, no trick or treating this year, and so I made pizza skulls:

They needed more sauce, they were not sufficiently "icky" when bitten into, but the kids liked them a lot. Watermelon "barf" fruit salad on the side:

Before that we had butternut squash "lasagna", layers of sliced butternut with ricotta and kale and another day we had garlic shrimp with wheat berry salad, I don't remember if I even posted pictures of this before, LOL.

The furnace guys were here yesterday and installed a brand new and much more efficient furnace to go along with our current geothermal system. The old furnace was about 25 years old and very inefficient, so it should save some propane, even though we mostly rely on the geothermal and the pellet stove.

So, I think I'm caught up. I'm going to stash the halibut and the crab legs for Christmas for Elery and I, I think. We have small family gatherings, but never on Christmas Day, he and I are always here and it's just us, which is nice. We can watch old Christmas movies and have a special meal, just the two of us. It's not that far away. Plus his birthday is on January 2, so if Christmas dinner doesn't "pan out", there's his birthday.

Annie

1 Like Save    
Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)

@annie1992 That seafood shipment looks great! I hope it will make the holidays extra special.

@Neely Your Thai green curry looks tasty.

It has been a long week, so DH made me some comfort food tonight -- Cast iron New York steak with our Yukon Gold potatoes. It is November, and I am not as prepared for year end as I should be and that causes me some stress.

Save    
neely

Lovely meal and table setting Lynda. Try not to stress, it will all happen even if a little differently to what is planned.

Annie, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again you are a wonder. Not that I have any claim to thank you for your efficiency on Election Day but I do so.... if that all makes sense. And I love the barf watermelon. Can’t wait till my grandson is old enough for me to do this for.

Love your piece of crispy skin salmon Sleevendog. I would like to eat salmon the way you describe cooking it but DH likes his done a little more, not so it’s over done, but more than rare which I like.

We needed a light meal after BBQ sausages at lunchtime so I made a crazy version of Salad Nicoise...anchovies are so yummy.

Save    

Annie, perfect seafood selection for the holidays. I did the same and ordered some treats that should last for some time. Lots of choices straight through the new year. Love the sculls and the puke pumpkins.

A favorite potato prep here as well. Crispy exterior, creamy center.

This looks a hot mess. Braised cabbage, greens, and fennel. (never pretty) have forgotten how good cabbage can be. Ordered a big pork loin. Made 8 packages sousVide. Half Friday, half Saturday. Perfect at 139º 2-4 hours. One and a half inch thick slices.

Vivian Howard's 'LittleGreenDress' recipe from her new book. (I don't have the book but the recipe is in the 'sneak inside' pages on Amazon.) so good and so fresh.

Looking for new pork recipes I scored via BonApetite. Link, HERE

Saturday I made the spicy pork bowl. Used miso and chili oil. Marinade, then roasted.

Save    
Jasdip

Annie, I love those pizza skulls! Of course the watermelon and just everything else looks fantastic too! What a great imagination!!

Your shrimp looks delicious, I love shrimp. What a crazy amount of seafood in your freezer! :-D

Lynda, your potatoes are what's calling my name on your plate. In my mind, there's no such thing as a bad potato and yours are extra-crispy. Perfect.

Neely I love your poached egg on your salad.

Sleeve, your pork looks nice and flavourful, and nice greens on your plate. What are the burgundy and yellow slices?

GF and I went out for dinner Sat night, it was the second year date of hubby's death. (I don't call it an anniversary). This will be our annual tradition; she took me out for dinner last year. She wanted to pay for my meal again, but nope, not anymore; just last year's was on her.

There's a schnitzel restaurant that I love, and we really loved their house wine last year. Darned if their supplier stopped carrying it. Oh well, we forged on and tried another house wine. Not as nice as previous but it did the trick.

We ordered a Platter for 2, and it came with 4 schnitzels (not just 2), 2 sides, caesar salad and garlic bread. We had mashed potatoes and homefries, and red cabbage. We halved two of the schnitzel and halved the remaining two to bring home. So that was dinner tonight. I sauteed more onions and peppers to put on top (Gypsy schnitzel).

Looking thru my binder I came across Lemon potatoes which I haven't made in years, they were a tasty side. (Lemon juice, olive oil and minced garlic) tossed with al dente cooked potatoes and baked.

1 Like Save    

@jadsip I am so sorry to hear of your loss, but glad you had a friend with you and some wine on what I am sure was a tough day.

@sleeve Your spicy pork bowl looks delicious and healthy.

@neely Are those pomegranate seeds on your salad? Yum! I still have 5 or 6 to use up. We left a couple on the tree, but when we went to pick them today we found empty shells. We had our first rain in 7 months over the weekend. That apparently caused the fruit to swell and crack. Then the birds get in and devour the seeds. Next year, we will have to pick sooner.

We have been on a tasty rut lately. WFD tonight was bbq lamb skewers, with pita, hummus and grilled mini peppers.

Save    
Ann_T

Baked small boules and small baguettes

and made M a meatball sandwich on one of the small baguettes.

1 Like Save    
seagrass_gw Somewhere

Good to see you posting again, Ann_T

1 Like Save    

Well, hello!

Gorgeous rolls. I needed those this morning making meatball sandwiches for lunches....I used pita from the freezer.

Made meatballs last night from a pound of mince in our farm share. Every meal these days needs a lunch option with so few restaurant options available.

I gave the potatoes a 15minute head start. Intentionally filled the pan so I can make crashed/smashed potatoes for tonight. (covid kitchen creativity)🙄

Jasdip, the 'coins' above are purple carrots. This variety has an orange center.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Hey!!! Welcome back!

Sleeve, I love your food-filled skillet. Great creativity baking mini potatoes at the same time!

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Yay!! Hurray!! AnnT, I'm happy you are back, and your bread looks just as good as always. I've been to your blog a couple of times, I see you changed it a bit, and I got my "fix" of your beautiful pictures. I made your cream cheese danish for a local school's bake sale, though, I've been thinking of you! Mine aren't nearly as pretty as yours, but they sure taste good!

I also made some of Sol's Honey Rolls, 3 loaves of Honey Wheat bread and 4 pans of these cinnamon rolls, and packaged them up for sale. I would have taken the lid off, but I already had it taped on so it wouldn't come off in transit:

Jasdip, I'm glad you had someone to spend that difficult day with, and schnitzel sounds really good but as always, it's the mashed potatoes that perks my ears up, LOL

Lynda, those potatoes, oh my, they look perfect, but Elery would rather have the lamb.

sleevendog, I grew those carrots once, I think the ones I grew were called "purple dragon". The kids loved them, they turned their mouths purple, LOL. They called them "zombie carrots". (grin) I thought they were sweeter than the Danvers Half Long I planted along with them, but every time I try to grow them the deer eat them, they LOVE them. As for your "hot mess", I have a lot of those, but they taste good. And I still need to try your chili oil, I saw there's another thread about that, I need to go there...

Neely, I would have never thought to put an egg on a Salade Nicoise like that, but I'd like it a lot, that's a good idea.

Here we had some of that Wild Alaskan Salmon with a maple teriyaki glaze. It was good, much better than I can get locally and I never had to go to the store. We had mashed rutabaga and sauteed bok choy from my hoop house on the side.

I have several of these and they don't store well, so we'll be having more rutabaga soon, and more than once, LOL, they are so huge they fill my sink!

Last night I made venison loin, with onions and mushrooms on the side, some corn from the summer's garden (took that out of the freezer) and some of the last of the beets. They aren't as sweet as they are when they are fresh from the garden, so I need to use them up.

Tonight? I haven't decided yet, it's still "to be determined".

Annie

Save    

Annie, I need your address. I had a meltdown when 2MD❤️ and your packages were together. Sending this next weekend and can't make sense of the messaging. (mild chili flake is in that package) and the urfaBiber. Just nice trial sizes that you may not have access to. I'm best at mass sending as friends and co-workers need seed. (micro greens)...I have messaging past but no easy 'today' messaging on my end...odd

Looks like you nailed the salmon. Even when the 'milk' leaks that some say it is overdone...I still find it good.

Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Annie, That fish looks so good, so I went to their website and am full of questions. Hope you don't mind.

Is that a combo box?

I didn't see any mention of crab or is it included in the white fish description?

Is that one box or more?

There are just the two of us so I wouldn't order often. Is it hard to just order once every six months or year?

Save    
annie1992

liz, the only options they gave me were once a month or once every two months, but they say you can cancel any time. It is the combo box, and I went to the website and "looked around". Then I got a message saying I could get $10 off if I signed up. That went up to some money off and free crab legs, and finally when I got an offer for $25 off and 2 free pounds of crab legs, I took the plunge. If I don't use the fish before my two months is up, I'll just cancel and then sign up again later.

Sleevendog, I like my salmon a little more done than some other people do, so a lot of people would say it was over cooked. It was moist and juicy and just the way I like it, so I say it was perfectly done, LOL.

Yeah, I had kind of a meltdown over 2MD too. (sigh) I wish I had gotten to meet her, we had planned to do that when Elery and I went to Tennessee to visit his family but then COVID happened and we postponed all our family visits and now it's too late. That makes me sad.

I haven't figured out the messaging either, I'm such a technological flop. (sigh) Email is annie1992 at yahoo.

No pictures of tonight's supper yet, so I'll surprise everyone tomorrow!

Annie

Save    
Jasdip

Annie your salmon looks perfect to me. Funny that you like your fish well-done and your beef blue! :-)

I felt like a chicken and rice meal so I took out my trusty enameled dutch oven. Sigh, I can't brown chicken worth a darn it in.....no matter what I do, the skin always sticks to the bottom Oh well, chicken skin isn't good for us anyway, right?

Chicken, rice, onions, tomatoes, chipotle peppers, garlic. All good stuff! As usual, I thought 1 cups of rice as noted in the recipe wasn't going to be enough so I used 2. I have more rice than I know what to do with! Freezer to the rescue!

Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Thanks, Annie!

Save    
neely

Jasdip, sorry but I had to have chuckle about your rice ‘more rice than I know what to do with’. At least you’ve now got cooked rice which is a handy thing to have. Anyway the meal looked tasty.

So much yummy food Annie and AnnT those rolls are perfect.

Your spicey Pork bowl with udon noodles (I think) looks so good Sleevendog, lots of fresh delicious food as usual.

Lynda, we love lamb and your meal looks delicious.

Another of DH’s typical chicken Green Thai curries. Spicey hot and we always enjoy them.

Save    
Jasdip

Ohhhh, that looks good Neely! Yes, I always have rice in the freezer, it's so handy!

Pizza night tonight.

Save    

Skillet pizza is the best. One pan meals, like sheet pan meal, are easy clean-up and such a great way to use up misc veg.

Chicken curry looks so clean...perfect broccoli. So fresh and green.

I still make way too much grain, beans and noodles. Every time. Most swell to three times their size. Don't mind a bit of leftover they way we've been prepping and good for easy lunches.

Last night another noodle bowl. Weirdo edamame noodles. Such a strange texture I'm a bit obsessed with. Tossed with miso/hijiki sauce. 1,2,3 marinated eggs. (3 parts water, 2 parts unseasoned rice wine vinegar, 1 part tamari)

Baby avocado from two weeks ago I thought would be DOA but perfect. Filled with chili crisp. (local farm eggs are so good)

Save    

Mail order has come a long way the past half dozen years. Even local CSA's and COOP's. Shipping costs are lower, or even better, included rather than hidden at checkout. Rarely see added handling fees. And so much easier to cancel. Or just simply postpone for a few months like we have done with our local meat farm share.

I do like Annie's haul of seafood. The variety. Sure a big chunk of coin in any bulk box, but straight to the freezer sent with dry ice and thick cryovac in reasonable portions for two to share.

I saved my invoices from delivers starting in March....just a curiosity. Spending much less, lots of variety, and have tried new things...even eating better.

Save    

WFD = Comfort food -- Roast whole chicken with yukon gold potatoes and carrots.

Save    
neely

Good cooking everyone.

Duck with orange salad, sweet potatoes, beans and an orange sauce. It was a little more done than I would have liked but still we enjoyed having duck again... been ages.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Comfort food at it's finest, roast chicken and roast duck.

Breakfast this morning

Save    
annie1992

Jasdip, beef is the ONLY thing I eat rare, LOL, even tuna has to be at least medium. Well, no, eggs are always over easy, so that's kind of rare, I guess.

The skin never stays on my chicken either, that looks exactly like something I'd cook. The pizza looks really good, nice and crunchy. I don't like soggy pizza either, gotta be well done. :-) Your breakfast looks like something I need to make soon too...

Neely, Elery would love all your spicy food. i'd have to eat the broccoli, LOL. Oh, but your duck, yum, and I love sweet potatoes, that meal just looks delicious.

Sleevendog, I have a box of edamame noodles that I haven't tried yet, I really need to try those. I just couldn't figure out what to sauce them or serve them with.

As for that seafood, the only stuff I can get here is either from China, which I prefer to not buy and really isn't usually very good, or local lake fish, which is good but I can get that all the time by dropping a line in the pond. Sometimes I just want something different, and if I buy anything worth eating it's nearly as expensive as the shipment I got.

Lynda, roast chicken is always good, but the potatoes look particularly good.

Here I'm cooking. Today it was honey mustard pork chops with creamed bok choy and corn from this summer's garden.

As usual, the pork chop was tough and dry, I've never had one that wasn't. Well, one that was prepared sous vide, but that was mushy and soft. They were not overdone, I used a thermometer, removed them from the pan when they were 145F, let them sit, they tested at 152F which is somewhat less than I like it done, but they were somehow still dry.

To add insult to injury, the honey mustard glaze messed up my pan a LOT. Well, it was actually Elery's pan, and one of his favorites, so it's a good thing it cleaned up well, LOL. And so I continue my quest for an edible pork chop.

Earlier this week we had cabbage rolls with butternut squash and beets, all from the farm:

After that we had venison enchiladas:

I made a new recipe, Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms. It was fast and good, and I'll definitely make it again. I finally caved in and made mashed potatoes to go with it, along with some

I also finally cooked and mashed all those rutabagas from the garden and put 9 quarts in the freezer:

And baked two apple pies with the last of my apples, those will go in the freezer for Thanksgiving:

Now it's time to start cooking for Mother, I haven't seen her since the election, doing a 14 day self-isolation from her for safety due to our huge increase in cases in the last two weeks. We've had 5 deaths in my small county in the past two weeks, and I think it'll just get worse.

Annie

Save    

What a garden treat...some tomatoes still ripening. 😜

Bruschetta once again.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

A wind warning was issued today, and sure enough, trees fallen and power outages. I'm surprised our area is still with power, it usually loses it when someone sneezes!

Comfort food....Annie your favourite, mashed potatoes! Pork chops and sauerkraut.

Side note. LOL I posted it in the cast iron FB group, and already have over 2,000 Likes on it.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Oh, sleevendog, that looks so good. My tomatoes are long gone, I just don't have space to grow them out of season, so I'll have to wait until next year.

Jasdip, I like sauerkraut with pork chops. I just eat the sauerkraut and then give the dog the pork chop, LOL. Congratulations on all the "likes".

Here we spent a cold, windy, snowy afternoon making venison sausage. First we made sweet Italian, then bratwurst and finally a few packages of chorizo. We made links of the Italian and bratwurst, bulk packages of chorizo, 1 pound per package.

We had a little of the bratwurst mixture that was left when we came to the end of the casings, so we had them for supper. I had originally planned a meat free meal, eggs and chickpeas in cream sauce. I used milk instead of cream and skipped the proscuitto that the recipe called for. Then came the leftover bratwurst and the end of my meat free plans. mashed butternut squash on the side.

Yeah, kind of an "orange" meal, just look at all those antioxidants, LOL.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to make for Mother. Pumpkin pie, maybe, some kind of soup. Pasta or maybe quiche, or maybe that's too close to pie...

Annie

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Rob's post last week about quiche made me crave it. I luckily had some leftover ham in the freezer, and some broccoli and kale, along with the usual onions and peppers.

Save    

Quiche/fritatta anytime of the day. Good next day. DH loves it for lunch even cold....I heat mine up....he gets lazy. 😜

Did a quick chili last night. No chili is quick but had to. Cubed good beef into the oven to roast instead of the oh-so--boring tedious pan browning. Veg, spices and a rich beer....super good but no doubt better today as stewy things tend to do. Freezer bound and a bit for lunch tomorrow.

Save    

Annie, Those sausages look great. I was just researching sausages because I wanted some bangers, which in the US, are hard to find, not as good and expensive. Do you use stand alone equipment or an attachment on your stand mixer? I am hoping to leverage my stand mixer as I don't know how often I will make sausage.

Nice quiche Jadsip - packed with goodness.

Sleeve, Your chili looks perfect for a hearty winter dinner.

Saturday I am going to pick up a prime rib and a turkey from the university program where we get a lot of our meat. I have next week off and we will go to our other home for lots of rest, cooking and family time. It is just the three of us, as it usually is so between the prime rib and the turkey that will feed us all week.

Save    
annie1992

Jasdip, lovely colorful quiche. I need to make one full of vegetables. Mother will eat only cheese in hers, of course, so I'll probably have to make two. That's fine, I have lots of eggs.

sleevendog, the chili looks good, even if quick. Like you, I think things like chili are better the second day, the ingredients get a chance to "mellow" or something.

Lynda, we do have stand alone equipment, although I've used the meat grinder attachment for the KitchenAid several times. The sausage stuffer we use is like this one:

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/mighty-bite-5lb-stainless-steel-vertical-sausage-stuffer-1606/sausage-stuffers

Supper tonight was a bowl of potato soup. No pictures.

Annie

Save    
Jasdip

Sleeve, stews, soups, chilis and the like are better the next day, aren't they??

Lynda, I'm looking forward to seeing all of your home-made meals next week when you're resting and relaxing at your other home. Where is it?

I had a quick meal of pasta (Scooby-Doos) with a bolognese and meatballs.

Save    
neely

I’m quite behind. We’ve been back to our holiday home in the countryside after 5 months of lockdown at our city place. Wow so much mowing to do on waist high grass and we had so many thistles growing up the front steps that we couldn’t get in until DH pulled them out. The garden beds, where I hope to grow tomatoes were totally full of high weeds. Thankfully the inside of the cottage was fine apart from dust.

Anyway, all your meals above Sleeve, Jasdip, Lynda and Annie are looking yummy and Yes now I want Quiche.

Back home I removed the backbone, flattened and dry rubbed a small chicken. I used lots of chilli, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic but wished I’d used more chilli... our tolerance is way high now.

Roasted pumpkin along with the chicken.

Save    
Jasdip

Yum, looks good Neely! Are those dried hot pepper flakes? Wow, what a work-out you and DH had!

Our stores are starting to put their frozen turkeys on sale for .98/lb. I'm planning on buying a small one tomorrow for Christmas.

Save    
neely

Yes, they are dried hot pepper flakes Jasdip, but as I mentioned, probably need more or some cayenne powder. I don’t think those hot pepper flakes are all that hot or they go milder in the packet/jar.

I’d like to buy a turkey again but depends how many family are coming for the Dinner. Maybe just a breast. That seems very cheap to me but I often read of the bargains you guys have and I’m usually pretty envious, particularly when it comes to Turkey. We have different lockdowns in different States so really no one can predict what travel arrangements will be allowed by Christmas.

Save    
Jasdip

I just picked up a young turkey. $9.60 so a little over 9lb, so a little over 4 kg. Smallest they had. I do wonder what to do with turkey leftovers though.

Save    

Just ordered our turkey with a Tuesday delivery along with some veg, cheeses, etc. 10-11lb. We will have a next morning hash and snacks, then a biscuit turkey slider, then make stock for soups.

Had a pizza night, artichoke heart, olive, mushroom, 3 cheese. Shared one, made 4 while at it for the freezer, lunches.

last night a quick beef/bean soup and shared salad.

Save    
Jasdip

Your pizzas look delicious! What do you use for a crust?

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Did not take a picture last night, but had a wonderful tasting meal. Sauteed some chopped cabbage and onions, a hamburger patty, and some leftover mashed potatoes. I was surprised at how well it all tasted together. Won't hesitate to plan this meal again.

Save    
annie1992

Wow, Neely, you did have some work to get things back into shape, didn't you. I'll bet you "felt" that workout! Elery would love your hot pepper flakes, and like you, he'd want them even hotter. I'm such a coward, I want the mild ones, LOL.

Jasdip, turkey went on sale at our local Meijer for 39 cents a pound, that's crazy cheap. Of course, I got my local heritage turkey, gotta try to keep my local farmers solvent, it's a small one, about 11 pounds. Elery bought the cheap one and he's going to smoke it later. I told him he'd better plan that soon, because we're going to need the freezer room for beef the first part of December.

Walnutcreek, you are calling to the Irish in me. I love cabbage and potatoes, and the onions just add to the appeal. I don't know why I don't use cabbage more often, it's available year round and I just don't think about it. I saw it for sale at the local store for 69 cents a pound and thought that was outrageous, but it's not, really.

sleevendog, that's a really good idea, making pizza for the freezer. I see on the news that they are predicting shortages again, with the huge explosion of cases here, plus winter is coming. (sigh) That beef on the salad looks perfect too, and I know you don't eat much beef, but that looks especially good.

Here I tried a recipe that Elery found, butternut squash white chicken chili. I thought it needed more seasoning, Elery liked it very much but added copious amounts of sriracha, LOL.

I also had "leaves" from the hoop houses, a mix of leaf lettuce, mache, red romaine and purple bok choi. Topped with some chopped sweet pepper for color and a boiled egg:

The night before we had pulled pork sandwiches, not picture worthy. Tonight I'm making sloppy joes and frozen french fries, Ashley is coming to the farm to hunt, it's deer season. Venison sloppy joes was her request, even though she'll spend the time in the deer blind and not here at the house. She can hunt here conveniently, she takes the walkie talkie and if she needs help she just calls, cell phones do not work out here. Elery will help her field dress and load anything she shoots, if she gets one. Because she'll hunt until dusk if she doesn't shoot one, and will have to field dress and load one before dark if she does get one, the sandwich will be "to go" or eaten at the kitchen counter, but fortunately it's easy to rewarm that particular dinner.

Annie

Save    
Jasdip

That's exactly the type of salad I make most, Annie. Leaves with peppers, shredded carrots and eggs. I love eggs in salad.

It seems that Saturdays=Pizza lately. Tonight was no exception, but the crust was particularly good. It's a true thin crust. Baked on my cast-iron pizza pan. I transferred it to the aluminum pan for cutting.

Save    
annie1992

See, Jasdip, I knew that somewhere, somehow, we're related, LOL. I do have family in Canada, you know!

If I'm going to have pizza, I want thin crust. I used to like the deep dish "pan pizza" type, but for some reason I've decided that I like the thin and crisp kind better. I don't like red sauce, but I want crispy crust, lots of vegetables and just a little cheese. I'd rather have slices of tomatoes or a brush of olive oil than the red sauce, but then it's not really pizza, I guess.

Madi and Maci were here with me today while Ashley hunted, still no luck for her. We had ham, mashed potatoes and green beans for supper, all favorites of the girls. They wanted Hershey bars for dessert, LOL, fine by me, it was easy.

No pictures, they kept me hopping...

Annie

Save    

We made it to our other home today, kicking off a much needed week off. Packed up the kid, the dog, the food for the week and picked up our turkey and prime rib on the drive. Tonight's dinner was 1/2 of the prime rib, with roasted carrots, shallots, fingerling potato and used our horseradish to make a creamy sauce. Finished it off with chocolate pudding.

Jadsip, Our other home is in Cambria, which is a lovely little town halfway between LA and SF.

Annie, So glad to hear that you are able to spend time with your family.

Save    
annie1992

Lynda, that looks really good.

I am fortunate that I can spend time with at least some of my family. One daughter lives about 1/2 mile away, so I see them often. My oldest daughter works as a CNA at a local assisted living facility and both the kids are doing their schoolwork virtually. Their father owns a heavy equipment repair facility, so none of them see anyone outside of the nursing home residents and immediate family. The shop is open but the procedure is that the owner calls, makes arrangements to leave the equipment. The equipment is then left in the parking lot. When it is repaired the owner is called, either a check or credit card number is provided and the owner takes the equipment, virtually no personal contact is made. My son in law has a 95 year old Grandmother and everyone is very careful.

The other son in law is a police detective, so he does see more people when he is working a case, but as a detective he isn't out on the road and much of an investigation is done via phone and internet. My youngest daughter does not work outside the home, she had a stroke at age 27 and is on disability. Their girls also do their school virtually, so very little outside contact by them either. They even get their groceries via Amazon Pantry and home delivery.

I have more contact with people picking up Mother's groceries weekly than anyone else in the family does, thankfully. It doesn't mean we're safe, of course, but we're as safe as we can be. Altogether in our little family "bubble" there are 10 of us. However, I think even Thanksgiving will be two separate meals, one for each family, due to work schedules.

Annie

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Ribs were on sale this week so I treated myself. Yes that's cauliflower and potatoes, I apologize for the whiteness. :-)

I also made brownies

Save    

Jadsip, That looks like my kind of meal.

Annie, Your family pod sounds terrific. So glad that you all get to spend time together.

Save    
neely

Mmm that Prime rib looks delicious Lynda. Love chocolate pudding of any kind. Pizza Jasdip... I have dough in the freezer.... soon. and your ribs look yummy. Love both your egg and salad Sleevendog and Annie. A meal like that Walnut Creek is so satisfyingly good.

I’m happy to hear of the precautions everyone is taking. What a world.

DH has discovered that he is pre diabetic... so we are on an even healthier regime. He read that sweet potatoes are better for you? so they are featuring quite a lot in our meals.

So, dinner was a small lamb steak, sweet potato and a lentil, leaves, tomato and quinoa salad with just lime squeezed on as a vinaigrette. Pepper and salt are a must of course.

Save    
Jasdip

Sorry, I posted my dinner from my phone (I hate typing on my phone) and missed the previous dinners.

LYNDA, what a meal!!!! Holy smokes your prime rib and vegetables look incredible! Enjoy your vacation.

NEELY best of luck with your hubby's dietary restrictions. You eat soooo healthy what a shame he's pre-diabetic. I'm not sure that sweet potatoes are healthier sugar wise, are they? They're sweeter than regular potatoes, unless it's the low glycomine (I'm drawing at straws trying to figure out the verbage).....the sugars that take longer to digest, which is what you want.

I bought a sweet potato this week. I can take or leave them, but I do like them sliced and sauteed Jacques Pepin style.

Save    

Neely, Your meal looks delicious and healthy. Cooking at home where I can control my ingredients always helps me to make healthier choices. I am sure you will be able to continue to make great dishes that are also good for your DH.

Jadsip, The prime rib was really good. It was our first time making it. The University meat program we buy through https://www.calpolymeats.com/ has great meat and I am sure that made the difference.

Last night's dinner was scampi over cous cous with bell peppers. Which is a staple for us because we can make it quickly. As long as we remember to defrost the shrimp ahead of time, it can come together in 1/2 hour.

On our way back to the house yesterday afternoon, the local turkeys were putting on a show.

1 Like Save    

Our wild turkeys are active here as well.!

Lots of meal pics but focusing on Thanksgiving. Delivery half an hour ago has a....drum roll, a turkey. I was sweating this one. Nice little local heritage. Phew.

No ingredients missing. All set. No shopping. Double phew. Just need to dig up a horseradish root for that crazy big love NPR pepto-pink yum cranberry sauce.

Co-worker ages old friend with an organic dairy farm upstate NY...covid troubles, is now hired by DH and working on his team. He makes cheese and butter. Hired help keeps the farm going...(city work pays boat-loads more)

Just got a text that we have a gift of fresh butter and his cheese. 😜

Good holiday of sharing, with another friend sent home homemade kraut, pickles and hot sauce. I sent in jars of VivianHowards LittleGreenDress. Long Island friend sent us home with some beach caught fish....

Save    
neely

Snap Lynda. Different words for a similar delicious food... scampi, shrimp and in our case prawns... garlic prawns. I cook these in what I know as the Spanish way. Olive oil heated very hot in a cast iron pan, throw in the prawns, move around then throw in a chopped garlic clove, sprinkle with salt and about 3 minutes and they are done.

I cleaned these earlier in the day and put heads and skins in a saucepan with water for a delicious stock to put in the freezer. I have heard that you should fry these up a bit first but I didn’t. As they were boiling DH said ‘ what is that terrible smell’. To each his own I guess as I thought it was a good smell, strong but good.

Had them with a salad but I would have liked yours with the cous cous better Lynda. Very few carbs here at the moment.

Save    
Jasdip

Gorgeous shrimp Lynda. I never thought of having it over couscous. Your turkeys are probably going to hide tomorrow..

I'm just sitting down to a chicken stir fry

Save    

Save    
neely

Pot stickers we call them...Yum

Save    
Jasdip

Pot stickers.... There are a number of dogs rescued from third world countries in my neighbourhood. There is a rescue group for them. They're called Potcakes......they get to lick the pot from cooked rice and vegetables, in countries like Cuba, Bahamas, etc etc. They're mutts, obviously.

They're just adorable and I can never remember the name potcakes. Pot-stickers always come to my mind :-)

1 Like Save    

Yummy potstickers and great presentation Sleeve.

Neely, my parents were British, so they were always prawns to me too. I have become Americanized in my old age! We make ours in the same way, but add red pepper flake, and after the shrimp are cooked add lime juice, white wine vinegar and butter to the pan to make a spicy, garlicy sauce.

Save    

We call them dumplings in NY. But the good ones that Costco sells have 'potsticker' on the bag, (the organic ones). These are from a wholesaler and just have dumpling on the bag. Such a nice quick freezer meal.

Merguez stuffed spaghetti squash last night. A covid favorite. Odd thing to say but reminds me to get some corona beans soaking for tomorrow.

Save    

Our thanksgiving feast. We are going to have leftovers for days....

I made stuffing from our homemade focaccia.

Potatoes au gratin with gruyere cheese and thyme

Ollalie berry pie

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Data Watch: What’s Great, and What’s Not, About a Smaller Home
Houzz asked more than 200 U.S. homeowners about life in 1,000 square feet or less. Here’s what they said
Full Story
Life The Polite House: What’s an Appropriate Gift to Welcome a New Neighbor?
Etiquette expert Lizzie Post suggests the right time and best presents to introduce a new neighbor to your area
Full Story
Moving Houzz Call: What’s Your Best Downsizing Tip?
Deciding what to say goodbye to can be hard, which is why we want to hear your hard-won wisdom. Please share your advice
Full Story
We know the only measure of our success is the satisfaction of our customers. We are committed & determined to... Read More
Old-style customer service is our top priority. We’ve been in business since 1994 – over 2 decades serving... Read More