SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becca_garber24

Lower Cabinet Drawers Too Wide?

Barefoot Nurse
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I’m in the final stages of designing our kitchen in our new build, and I’d like to add as many drawers in the lower cabinets as possible. I asked my kitchen designer to change the cabinets on either side of the range (currently with 2 rolling shelves inside) to 2 deep drawers instead.

Unfortunately, these drawers would be 41.5” wide, and I plan to store baking dishes and pots and pans in them, so that presents some complications. Here are our options according to our KD:

“1) We can do a 3-drawer base with cabinets that are 41.5” wide. The 3-drawer base is available up to 42" wide.

2) We can do four 2-drawer cabinets as you mentioned. I would recommend doing a standard 21" wide cabinet and a customized 20.5" cabinet on each side. I don't think you'll see the .5" difference in the two cabinets, and it would save some money.

3) Since we're going to be customizing the width of the drawer bases anyway, we could do a 41.5" cabinet with two stacks of 2-drawer cabinets... essentially what you described, just as one cabinet box.

"The 2-drawer bases are available with heavy duty drawer guides that will carry 125 lb. dynamic load. However at approx. 21" wide cabinets, you would have 16.5" of interior drawer width.”

OP again. What would you do? Which size of drawers would be most functional? I have 5 children who like to be in the kitchen, so this beautiful space is going to get lots of hard love!

Comments (56)