SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Find the Critter!

petalique
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I took this about 12 days ago. I have to “crash” for a bit — rest my feet and watch Rachel the two programs that follow. You probably won’t need any hints. Have fun!

ETA — the image I sent was full sized. HOUZZ resizes it, but in doing so, seems to have lost detail. I’m using an older iPad. Any suggestions for sharper detail? If I crop it, I’ll make things too easy. I guess I could go into the office and open up a better photo editor -- tomorrow.

ED-2 Looks like my original isn’t any sharper.

Comments (51)

• petalique
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Heck, want me to go add a head of lettuce tomorrow? I’ll put it on the nest box.

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    3 years ago

Either a duck or a dog?

petalique thanked Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
  • Sisters in faith
    3 years ago

found it

petalique thanked Sisters in faith
  • petalique
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hint: this might be considered part of a typical fall scene. Not dog, not duck. Red blooded (mammal).

• olychick
    3 years ago

I see it but cannot tell what it is. I'd guess something like a bear far away or a groundhoggish type creature closer up. Perspective is difficult to decide.

eta: Haha, I looked again and it's a bush! I do think i see the real critter now, but I cannot see it well enough to render a guess.

petalique thanked olychick
  • kathyg_in_mi
    3 years ago

Dedtired, My 7 year old GS had to tell me where the lettuce was. His Mom said it took him 3 seconds to find it!

petalique thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • foggyj2
    3 years ago

found it

petalique thanked foggyj2
    3 years ago

I see a cute piglet, bear cub or something where I may have initially been seeing that groundhoggish type creature.

Assuming it's the same groundhoggish type creature , look up a bit, maybe four or five feet and a couple feet to the right.

When you see it, you'll know.

Or maybe I'm imagining things again. :)

• Rusty
    3 years ago

I love puzzles like this! I think I've found 'it', in fact, I think I may have found 2 or 3 'its'. Will be interested to see if any of them are the right one. :^)

Rusty

petalique thanked Rusty
  • olychick
    3 years ago

if this was in the PNW, I'm pretty sure it would be Sasquatch.

• matthias_lang
    3 years ago

I think I'm seeing either a long legged dog or a deer. If a deer, it is different than the ones around here. Darker.

oop. Now I see the things Richard sees.

petalique thanked matthias_lang
    3 years ago

Yeah, the more I stare at it the more "could be" things I see. I can see faces etc. in pressed wood if I stare at it long enough. Likely it would be the same if I stared at clouds long enough. :)

"if this was in the PNW, I'm pretty sure it would be Sasquatch."

In Ohio, I think we just called them Big Foot. Down here they call them Skunk (or Swamp) Apes. I've never seen one, possibly because I don't believe in them, or maybe it's the other way around. I've heard they're more aggressive, more quick tempered, possibly from having to deal with all the mosquitoes, gators, squirrels, snakes, etc. I've heard the skunk apes diet on snakes, squirrels, armadillos, coons, possums, rabbits, deer, squirrels, etc.

• aok27502
    3 years ago

I see one that I'm pretty sure of, and one "might be if I squint."

petalique thanked aok27502
  • Jasdip
    3 years ago

I immediately saw 2 animals. I'm not looking anymore as I'll drive myself crazy if I'm wrong.

LOL Dedtired!

petalique thanked Jasdip
  • nicole___
    3 years ago

A bear?

petalique thanked nicole___
  • User
    3 years ago

I don't see squat. Or squatch, as the case may be. (LOL on Oly's comment...)

I found the lettuce but didn't think that was the right image b/c it looked like a rose to me.

Couldn't find the ghost until someone gave explicit directions.

I think I'm going downhill fast!!

petalique thanked User
  • petalique
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I would not be able to pick it out if I had not been watching her.

Four legs. One critter. Very difficult to discern because she is a medium toned and somewhat camouflaged in fall leaves, tree and brush and low light.

Let me know when you want a hint — small, large or oblique.

• petalique
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Has anyone ever pulled your collective leg by offering up a find Waldo puzzle and not included the Waldo?

3 years ago

Last night I finally saw what I thought was the "real" critter. Although fuzzied by the Houzz image-butcherer, the outline seemed so clear and it made so much sense that it just had to be it. I circled it, uploaded it the the test forum, looked again, and couldn't see it anymore unless I added an unreasonable amount of imagination. Today, it could still be it, although it doesn't quite make sense because I can't see what it's standing on.

Here's the image again, just a link so I don't give it away if by chance I'm correct. https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5971310/old-links-quick-and-dirty#c5

Is that her?

"Has anyone ever pulled your collective leg by offering up a find Waldo puzzle and not included the Waldo?"

It would be interesting to see anyone finds "it" anyway. :-)

• petalique
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for playing, Richard. That’s not her. What is circled = browned leaves on a tree.

She is standing on sloped ground, where it drops off a bit. Her ankles are at about the level of the base of the tree to the left of the nest box.

Because I know what I’m looking at, I can make out tail, legs, and silhouette of body and belly. It is very hard to make out, sorry.

HINT: when looking at where the tree line is (illuminated just before it by sunlight), she is standing, facing away, at approximately a 45 deg. angle to that tree line (where the slope breaks a bit and shade begins. She is not directly at the break or tree line — a few feet away. Tail facing viewer.

• User
    3 years ago

Well now you've got me hooked.

Except I still can't find it!

:)

Please promise at some point you'll circle it for us and tell us what we're looking at?!

petalique thanked User
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    3 years ago

That you keep referring to this animal as her and she is a clue, right? So even though I know what we're looking for, I cannot see her. I don't think, lol.

petalique thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Jasdip
    3 years ago

At first I thought I saw a fox, now I think I see a deer. I have no idea what she might be.

petalique thanked Jasdip
  • olychick
    3 years ago

Well, that's not the bear/Sasquatch I see in the pic above and to the right of the nest box!

But I do think I see a fox now where you described.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

"Well, that's not the bear/Sasquatch I see in the pic above and to the right of the nest box!"

Exactly what I was seeing!

petalique thanked chloebud
  • User
    3 years ago

Can somebody circle the general area? Even these descriptions of where to look aren't helping me.

petalique thanked User
  • olychick
    3 years ago

Chloebud, perhaps she captured Sasquatch lurking in the woods in addition to the critter she's talking about!!

• petalique
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I do feel badly that I only had images that were up close, or those further away, but which anyone allowed to drive would easily pick out.

Of course, I will circle, describe and outline her. Let me know when you want the “answer” or more clues. I misplaced some of my cameras (distracted by fatigue, pain and seeing the crazy perilous downturn of USA in plain site — more apparent to our critter friend. Oh, and, of course, the $;£¥*$! Willfully out of control in rich USA pandemic. I get very little sleep.

I find these sorts of visual puzzles difficult and could get a serious inept complex if others here were not so candid about their own difficulties with the. However, in RL (real life), I am enthralled by solving problems and (a tad embarrassing) have reached out to total strangers on the street looking for (I knew immediately) a wind swept contact lens, or a craigslist seller with a sewing machine error code he thanked me and upped his curbside find from $20 with error code, to $99 after he read my note and moved the bobbin rewind post away from the winder. If he’d been closer, I would have just fetched the machine ;)

I just sent another sewing machine user directions on how to find a teensy weensy proprietary machine screw, lost in his kitchen. I like hunting for (spotting) wild mushrooms as well.

^^^ And, to the point of finding “her,” my first and most important tip is to know exactly what you are looking for. If I’d never seen a hard contact lens and understood how lightweight they were or how they behaved when they fell, I would not have been as likely to spot the young woman’s contact lens on the sidewalk. But, to her credit, she was willing to be “interviewed” and queried. Many are too hurried and impatient (foolish?). Where was she standing, show me, facing what direction? She complied. I wet my finger, held it out just as in her position, observed the slight breezed, and said to her, “it must have landed right about here, and pointed down toward a place a few feet ahead. To our surprise, there shown her hazel-colored hard contact lens. We were both delighted. It took less than 7 minutes and neither of us got to our hands and knees. We just tried to think logically and have some small amount of patience.

Sorry to go on so long, but, if a “loser” is patient, it can sometimes be easy to tease out a solution. I cannot explain what a kick, rush this “hunt” with logic, physics, envisioning gives me.

It helps to first have an image fresh in your brain of what your are searching to find. Once someone showed me wild mushroom — I kept looking at the images.i could then easily spot fungi delicacies in the leaves or forest detritus.

So, do you yet want me to show you a closeup of “her?”

• annztoo
    3 years ago

I think it's between the area Richard circled and the nest box. Looks like a deer facing the camera.

petalique thanked annztoo
  • petalique
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Facing away. Can you see her tail?

• chloebud
    3 years ago

I think I do see the tail now.

petalique thanked chloebud
  • annztoo
    3 years ago

I think.....to the left?? If it's a white tailed deer, maybe the tail is that white dot above the body. 😁

petalique thanked annztoo
  • User
    3 years ago

Maybe?

petalique thanked User
  • petalique
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just posted a photo and a bit of text. No show.

I also just posted a very civil note to ht-forum which is not stated to be closed until 28th.

All civil, polite, no forbidden words.

Is anyone else having problems? I hope no impolite games.

• petalique
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No, Patriceny

• petalique
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Try a last time.

What you’re looking for:

• petalique
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi, Hot Rod.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

So, we're looking at her tail and legs and her head isn't showing?

I can usually spot her kind. Without trying nearly as hard. I had 6 or 7 wandering around outside this morning as I was trying to get a couple of things done and dress to go with DH to an appointment. An appointment he had that was quite close to Costco and a lighting supply - I'm once again on the hunt for a more attractive pendant for over my breakfast table ;0)

There is one little gal with ears like a rabbit, ears are huge. Enough so she looks comical and I can distinguish her from all the others. They were probably here all day making themselves right at home (and eating whatever they felt like), I counted 5 coming from my yard as we were driving up the hill about an hour ago.

petalique thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • petalique
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Want to continue? Want more hints?

I have to watch the world burn down and fall into the dark ages, so will soon tune into Rachel Maddow to either get more reports on the toxic overload, or maybe commiserate.

I alarmed my resident Eastern cottontail this afternoon, but rushing out the door without looking. I should always look first, not just bolt outside like I own the place. A few years ago I came within seconds of getting a genuine bear hug.

• petalique
    Original Author
    3 years ago

“Her” because it’s a young doe.

• petalique thanked Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
  • petalique
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Between nest box and ~ center of photo. Very hard to make out.

And, here before she almost went out of sight:

See her here?

• petalique
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bingo, Richard!

Here below is another before she’s at the site Richard circled.

• petalique
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yellow arrows point to tail (md dark brown and in down position. The light area at the top is sunlight on a leaf. White tail deer alert by flicking their tail upright. It is white beneath. So please don’t wear white mittens in the woods during deer hunting season.)

Lower yellow arrows point to her long brown legs. And, yes, as someone mentioned, she does seem on the dark side.

• patriciae_gw
    3 years ago

Oh good. What I thought was right. Very hard.

• User
    3 years ago

Thank you for showing us, it was driving me batty. :)

Also, the world has gone insane. I have no answers for that. Wine helps......

• Rusty
    3 years ago

I saw several critters, but none of them were the right one!

Oh well, it was fun. . . . . . .

Rusty

3 years ago

Petalique, thanks so much for providing a challenging search for us. This was fun...even though I still can't see the hidden doe in spite of the arrows and circles, lol.

Now, about that owl I see in your picture.....

• petalique
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Rhizo. I appreciate you kind words. You left a lot of white space. Did you take a snooze in the return key? Oh, you want me to provide another Jane Doe image? In this one, before she gets to the Waldo site, I tried to brighten it up a bit — so you can get a sense of what she looks like. The pencil tool on my iPad is too thick and imprecise, or I would outline her tails, legs, body.

This brightened image might help you.

BTW, pre-1200 orange leader crazy antics ago, I asked a question about brown spots on my common spearmint. You nailed it — nine line beetle. Later, looking at the photos I’d snapped, I could see the red larval rendition of it. Darn. Every year the ruin my mint (required for Thai and Vietnamese dishes and mojitos). Nearby is every beloved host plant to the stinkers.

See how cool her brown, flat, short tail is? It is white beneath, and you can see the white on each side edge. Her belly is mostly white. Nice long sinewy legs.

I liked her coming by and hanging out. I have lots of roses and raspberry canes to share. Unfortunately, she stopped coming by a day or so after bow hunting season began. I’d asked an acquaintance w a nearby deer stand to please spare her. I suspect she’s now in someone’s freezer. I get that there are perhaps too many of them and I am not opposed to humane hunting. But this was an uplifting visitor to our yard as the pandemic and populist dumb-butt politics consume everything decent. Last year my handsome buck went missing. He would come buy regularly to snack on wild grass. (We do not feed them or put anything out for them — just a clearing in the woods with natural grass and brambles.)

3 years ago

I have no idea how my post turned out like that! Odd. Anyway, I could quite easily find her in your other images, just not the original.....even after you pointed her out. Still can't. 😵

I hope that your doe manages to escape. I understand how it is to become fond of regular wild visitors.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012